First at Home Recording Efforts: Pedal Steel and Tele Content

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by UpstateDon, Nov 4, 2019.

1. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

seconded on the no rabbit hole approach

just keep knocking 'em out, no worries

all the spit and polish is secondary to creation, but some basic tips are worth attending to so that you stay inspired

keep the drums as simple as possible, but not simpler

2. Modernelove

Modernelove TDPRI Member

Sounds awesome! Any idea what kind of single coil it is?

3. UpstateDon

UpstateDon TDPRI Member

Thanks. I think it's from a company called Truetone.

Modernelove likes this.
  4. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Hi.

Yep, I can play it now. Thanks.

I think it does sound better, though SoundCloud might be making it hard to hear any differences clearly. I don't know what they do with compression, etc. or how reliable they are at streaming things. YouTube for instance is renowned for applying compression and changing things quite noticeably. I'd hope SoundCloud is better, but I've never looked into it.

Where I'm sitting, the vocals are coming a little from the left, and there seems to be a sonic gap on the corresponding right. Feels like something is missing there in the spread. Just for fun, you could try placing the pedal steel to the right more, to balance it out. Kinda where the guitar is when it comes in. Or, place the vocals dead centre and pan the pedals steel both sides. Or, vocals dead centre and alternate the pedal steel passages either side. Or, ...

And I'll tell you something else too, this kinda of music is not really my cup of tea, if I'm being honest. But, I've played your songs quite a few times now, so you are clearly doing something right. :)

Oh, one more thing. If you are recording and trying to finish a mix on the same day, it usually doesn't work. In fact, just judging a mix on the same day you did it often doesn't work. One or two days (or more) separation can really clear your head / reset your ears. It can be quite astounding how bad a mix sounds when you come back to it. I recently made a song, kinda loosely inspired by the Jay Mascis approach (distorted wall of sound with simple melody over it). Made it over the course of a few hours in the middle of the day. Very simple and basic stuff (cos, that's all I can do). Then, when my daughter came home from school, had her sing it (cos I simply cannot sing in tune). Mixed it in the evening because I wanted to send it to a friend. Thought is sounded good for a first, base level mix. Listened to it yesterday and the mix is a mess. Truly appalling - bass way too loud / forward, kick punching through too hard, a mass of low energy muffling things, vocals not forward enough, lead line just not quite poking though enough, etc. Really rammed the point home for me - doesn't matter how good you think it is, put some distance between you and it and then listen again.

Pax/
    Dean

Telecaster88 likes this.
  5. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

With that voice you should never sleep alone again unless you choose to. Genetics, DNA, damn ALL of it!
    Your stuff sounds great. You got the playing and singing whipped and getting there with the recording. Keep it up.

6. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

This is so inspiring! Over the last year I gradually collected up some recording stuff, some mics, a digital interface, etc... got a copy of that same Presonus Studio One software -- but I've been too chicken to dive in. I've recorded plenty in my life but never had to do any of the technical behind the scenes stuff, just walk in, set up and play, and I'm super intimidated.

Thanks for posting these. Your tracks are truly fantastic! I could listen to this stuff all night. Gonna follow this thread for tips.

7. decker

decker Tele-Holic

Some good stuff there Don; particulaly like the vocals.

8. UpstateDon

UpstateDon TDPRI Member

Thanks again for all your helpful tips! I wrote a song yesterday, and tried to put it together, implementing some of your tips. I'm starting to realize that alot of this is just going to be trial by error, and enjoying the process of learning. I had some old strings on the acoustic, and for some reasons I spent alot of time just stumbling around trying to basic on this one...but was happy to write a song put it down on paper, so to speak. Unfortunately no tele content.

9. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

great stuff man! there is good advice about recording in this thread, but you have what you really gotta have, DRIVE & SONGS & CHOPS.

go get'em, I'll sure listen to your work!

10. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Dude, your voice is incredible.

Here's the deal. Guys that are mediocre players/singers might spend years learning how to make a pro-sounding mix and master in their home studio. But no matter what they do,
    it's still not going to sound that great because the stuff they're mixing and mastering is mediocre.

Now, in your case, you're trapping lightning in a bottle. These recordings are the kind of recordings that a record company listens to and decides to give you studio time with their
    very best engineer. They can take your tracks and polish the crap out of them, or they can have you sit down and record it again with their engineers running the show. In many cases,
    your original tracks might be plenty good-- no additional recording time needed. Or they ask if one of their big stars can use your song on their upcoming album and now you gotta get
    a lawyer to make sure you get your fair share of any royalties.

In other words, you are good to go.

And that recording sounded excellent. My only thought is I would be tempted to bring the instrument levels up just a hair in the mix. Your voice is plenty prominent, as it should be. But I would like to see
    if the instruments could be raised up a tiny bit without losing that prominence.

Another fun thing to do is to see if you got any good musician friends that might be up for laying down a track or two. Some honky-tonk piano might be a nice change on a song. Or maybe you know a fiddler.
    Heck, Brent Mason advertises that he'll lay down a track for anybody (if you've got the scratch).

11. UpstateDon

UpstateDon TDPRI Member

You are way too kind! I brought the instruments up a bit. I would love to collaborate with others. I've really just spent my whole life playing in my room, aside from a band in college, and the occasional bluegrass jam. Also, I wrote a new one and recorded it last night night! I think I'm kinda more efficient and a bit better and mixing things together. Hope you like this one!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.