- Feb 17, 2023
- London, UK
Looks like the problem is to do with the area around the rectifier tube. After a pause in my efforts, I had another go at it just now. Initially no guitar sound and only a very faint mains hum. The rectifier didn't look to be glowing, so I switched off, unplugged the tube and plugged it in again, then switched the amp back on. Now I had guitar signal coming through the speaker at significant volume, but...also a VERY loud mains buzz and smoke and burning smell coming from what seems to be the rectifier tube socket, or wires connect to it. I didn't want to leave the amp on any longer so switched off before I could pinpoint the problem. I guess this would suggest a short circuit between two of the pins on the socket. Does this sound like the probable cause? I don't know if you guys would know exactly what would need to be shorting to cause this though I will of course have a good look with a magnifying glass and check my wiring is correct as per the diagram. Could be a simple case of sloppy soldering!