First acoustic?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by RoCkstAr256, May 12, 2019.

1. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

Ever Play AP-400C WRDS

I really like this one, it costs 75 Dollars here . Quite Cheap. Go for it ? Never owned an acoustic guitar, it might be fun i have said tomorrow. What you think ?

2. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

Never laid my hands on an Aria Prodigy series guitar so have no opinion. I assume though they are probably similar to the Takamine Austin line of instruments with solid tops and a laminate body. The Austin line sells like hotcakes and store owners I know who sell them say folks are happy with them although they ultimately come back in after a year or two of playing looking to move up to something else .

3. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

My first and only acoustic is an Ibanez performance I bought in my early 20's. I still have it.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

My first acoustic was called a Stirling? I think. Made in Korea all mahogany.
    Like Brian Adams I played it till my fingers bled which was most times I picked it up due to sky high action and gnarly heavy strings ripping into my child fingers. I can still remember playing through bleeding blisters upon blisters on that torture machine.

I have a bunch of acoustics but do own a cheap Ibanez performance pf5 that plays and sounds great. Was made some time in the 90's.

Cheap guitar guy likes this.
  5. Cheap guitar guy

The dude who set my Ibanez up did a great job. The action is ridiculously low.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  6. Chunkocaster

Mine was given to me in the early 2000's as part payment on a debt. I set it up low and it plays and sounds great. I haven't played it for a few years due to owning nicer guitars but for what they go for used they are a great buy if you find a good one.

7. Cheap guitar guy

I hadn't played mine for quite some time either but my son started playing it a lot so I cleaned the board. Put some f-one conditioner on it. Polished the frets and new strings. Funny thing is the old strings sounded better and they were really old.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  8. Chunkocaster

I do the same to mine every 5 or so years. I pulled it out the other day and had a look at it but the strings are gone. Time for a little tlc before I can play it again. It's been thrown around and neglected most of its life but its still in surprisingly good shape. It almost seems impervious to dings/dents. If it was any other of my acoustics it would be all banged up by now.
    People I have played for that know nothing about guitar brands etc seem to prefer the sound of the Ibanez over more expensive brand name guitars I own on certain songs. It does have a nice sound to it.

9. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Buy your guitars like you should buy your shoes.....on fit and not looks, brand, nor cost. Just like shoes, you must try them on first to see if it fits you. When you find a guitar that feels good in your hands and is comfortable to chord....buy it.

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  10. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

I think i will give it a try, its cheap

11. Chunkocaster

You have to be careful when buying acoustics because there is little room for string height adjustment. Even on high end acoustics the majority of them are not ideal to get a low action without playability issues. You need to find one with a high saddle and lots of room before it bottoms out on the bridge. Neck angle needs to also allow for setting action too. I had to play through 5 or 6 of the same new Sigma's taken out of boxes at the wholesalers to find a suitable one. Whether you like a low action or not this is important to save the hassle of resetting the neck in years to come.

When you look at a acoustic, press the wound e string down in front of the saddle until it reaches your ideal string height. Sight down the neck and make sure everything will work at the lower level after sanding saddle to that height, ie the saddle has enough thickness to be lowered without the strings being too low and touching the bridge. You need a decent amount of height left at the saddle or the tone starts to suffer, lower volume etc.

If you have access to a ruler/ straight edge you can just lay it on the frets down the neck and it needs to clear the bridge. Then there should be enough room to lower the saddle.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  12. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm mostly an electric player but I have an $80 MIC acoustic I got years ago (mounted a Strat pickup in the sound hole for fun, lol) and the biggest improvement I would say is do a fret rocker test on all the frets and if you have a bunch of high spots just get the fretboard leveled. The tech will tell you why put $100 in a $100 guitar but that $100 guitar will play like $1,000+ guitars after doing that work. At some point next winter you may need to file the fret ends back but that's a one time maintenance due to dry weather, you'll only see them again if it gets drier than that point.

You won't fear taking it out and about. You can record with it. You won't need to worry about the top splitting. Less likely for other acoustic guitar problems over time.

13. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

my eastman e10 om sounds really good...

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  14. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Get it, then start saving for something better.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.