1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

First Acoustic Guitar Build Help

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Daniel94, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Daniel94

Daniel94 Tele-Meister

Hey y'all! I'm planning on building a guitar for my sister-in-laws college graduation this coming may. Now I know this is a tele forum, but y'all are so helpful and knowledgeable I figured y'all could help me with an acoustic build! This is gonna be my first acoustic guitar build, I've built a mandolin and a tele, but I've never tried an acoustic build so I've got a lot to figure out and learn. It's going to be a full size dreadnought with a pickup and preamp built in.

So first question I've got is where can I find a good set of plans or a book on building? I've bent sides before on my mandolin build and I'm pretty comfortable building necks so I'm not worried about that, but I'm not real sure on how to do the neck joint and other details like that. I've done some searching and just haven't found much and don't really know where to start researching. Any direction and advice would be much appreciated!

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

The cumpiano book used to be considered the bible of the acoustic world years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0811806405/?tag=tdpri-20

I've done about a dozen various acoustic guitars. I have used either the Spanish style construction with the integrated foot, or a bolt on mortise and tenon ala Taylor.

This is my most recent build... I don't know how useful it'll be because I use a universal work board as opposed to a form for your specific size guitar.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/an-early-parlor-guitar-build.708083/

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Wahoo likes this.
  3. Daniel94

Daniel94 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the advice, I'll plan on getting that book and reading through it. Your threads have always been very helpful so I'll look through it all and I'm sure I'll learn from it.

I see you use a fox style bender, would you recommend doing that instead of a hot pipe? Right now I'm only planning on doing one, but I'll probably end up building another for myself in the future... I'm guessing the fox style is more up front investment but probably worth it for ease of use and repeatability?

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I made my own fox bender and the expense was really just in the veneer press screw and some hardware. The rest was plywood. There's a learning curve for all the methods, but I like the ease of the fox bender myself. I do have a stewmac hot pipe which I use here and there too.

At first I used sheets of aluminum roofing flashing,but eventually I spent the cash for spring steel. There are similar benders with simpler designs out there too. I got a bending heating blanket off of ebay like Rick bought, and may try that this winter instead of the light bulbs.

Wahoo and Daniel94 like this.
  5. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

I got a great set of plans from Georgia Luthier Supply.

Wahoo likes this.
  6. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

You can tap into stewmac.com and they have a pdf . file that gives you instructions and sometimes full scale plans that you could print off. I know they come with their kits. I built a Mahogany b/s and Spruce top Dreadnought back in 2005 and it keeps on getting better as the years go by.

Daniel94 likes this.
  7. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks tonetele, I forgot about StewMac! They have a PDF for assembling their kit guitars that has some great instructions in it. The plan that comes with their dread kits is a great plan too and is available on their site.

Daniel94 likes this.
  8. sergiomajluf

sergiomajluf Tele-Meister

I started building an acoustic cuatro, a small sized four string acoustic style guitar. I'm documenting mostly every step in this thread, so this might come useful. I have no previous experience with this style, but I have a luthier guiding me, so I'd trust my posts hehehe.

Looking forward to your progress and updates! Subscribed already :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.