1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Firs time poster. PRS build help

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by msg122, Apr 19, 2021.

1. msg122

msg122 NEW MEMBER!

Hello everybody. Long time lurker, first time poster. During this pandemic I used a lot of my free time to start some builds. I started with an old poly strat body that I stripped and repainted. Moved onto the neck, electronics, etc. My girlfriend got me a tele kit from the Fretwire for Christmas this past year. I've always loved the late 60's vintage white, 3 ply white pick guard and rosewood neck. I'm just about wrapped up with that project as well. It's been a long, but fun process. I work as a glazier so to move from metal-working tools to wood-working tools has been a rewarding experience.

My next project is a PRS style build. I've watched countless videos on reviews of kits, but I would like to start from scratch. I would like to do a Santana style body. From what I've found, most people suggest just starting with a LP double cut body template and then carve the top to your liking. This is fine and all, but that's about where the information trail runs dry. The PRS website only offers the scale length. I'm having a tough time tracking down more specific specs (body thickness, pickup and bridge location and measurements. I would also like to do a McCarty 594 double cut build, but I'm running into the same problem. I have found plenty of plans and spec sheets for the McCarty, but I know the McCarty 594 specs are different. Some people on other forums has suggest going to your local guitar shop and asking to trace and measure the guitar yourself. Another great idea, but my local GC very, very rarely has a PRS core model on display. The most expensive model typically hanging in there is a CE24. Everything else is SE's

I'm a subscriber to Highline guitars channel on Youtube. He offers some great tips. In one of his videos he does a 3-D rendering on Adobe Illustrator and Rhinoceros of a Ibanez model. He has all the information he needed to complete a full size scale model. That's great and I find it very interesting, but I'm not about to drop a grand on Rhinoceros and God-knows-how-much on my own personal CNC machine after I spent quite a bit on transforming my basement into a wannabe luthier shop.

I just feel like I'm spinning my wheels right now trying to find more luthier-friendly information on a Santana and/or the McCarty 594. There's enough videos and websites out there on Fender and Gibson guitar builds to fill a library. Ironically my web search took me to this Telecaster forum after the key words pulled up some recent posts about members in this forum working on their own PRS style builds. Can anyone help me out? I'm not looking for router templates, but just information on more specs of these guitars other than the scale lengths. Any information or resources would be extremely helpful.

2. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

msg122 likes this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Howdy!
    Buena suerte!

msg122 likes this.
  4. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

The mahogany--or other wood--backs are planed to a finished size of 1 1/8". Most maple tops are planed to 13/16ths before they're glued on and carved.

msg122 likes this.
  5. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

welcome - looking forward to pics of your progress on the project
    Peace - Deeve

6. msg122

msg122 NEW MEMBER!

Thanks for some of the replies guys. I'll definitely check out the Tele Home depot sub forum and the links. I actually just checked out the official PRS forum. After a quick search on the site, I found some threads with people asking similar questions (dimensions, neck angle, etc). Some people offered generalized information. Others offered exact dimensions. That's when actual PRS guitar techs that participate in the forums asking the person to take their reply down.

Why is that? Why is PRS so tight-lipped and uppity about sharing their specs? It's not like these people that were asking are looking to make their own Chinese-esque knockoffs, commit to copyright infringement and sell them at a premium price. One guy was simply asking so he could find an aftermarket hardshell case that would fit his Santana SE. There's a plethora of factory specs for everything you need to make an exact build for basically all Fender and Gibson models. Even Ibanez is generous, but for some reason PRS refuses to share any information.

7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

That's because those "actual PRS techs" are B.S. artists.

Could you imagine asking a question about the thickness of an American Standard Telecaster, and an AS Tele owner kindly measures their guitar and replies, and Fender butts in and asks the person to remove their reply? Never gonna happen.

Paul is a quirky guy and a stickler for details, but he has no policy to discourage PRS owners sharing any information like this.

68Telebass and msg122 like this.
  8. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Welcome. Sorry - I cannot help with the build questions.

9. Laren

Laren Tele-Meister

I've got paper full size plans for a hard tail PRS if I can get you any measurements from it let me know.

10. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome to the fold!

Sb

11. myteleplaysjazz

myteleplaysjazz Tele-Holic

Hello. Welcome to the forum.

12. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Welcome aboard from Sunny Arizona!!
    I know nothing PRS other than that an old friend of mine waited 8 months or so for an LP style one in the early 90s.

13. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Can’t help, but Welcome.

Pax/
    Dean

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.