1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fireworks should be illegal

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teleman1, Jul 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

They're legal in PA now. For the first time ever this year. I've been hearing the radio commercials and seeing the pop-up shops all over for the last two weeks or so.

2. dallasblues

dallasblues Tele-Meister

You haven't lived until you've had a Black Cat go off in your fingers while trying to blow up GI Joe.

3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I buy some big 8oz bottle rockets every other year. It's every other year because we shoot half of them and get bored and save the rest for next year. I have 40 acres and I can do it with ease but I dislike the banging. My neighbor has livestock and we have dogs and horses. I wish that someone would make rockets that had pretty pluming colors with no report. The big rockets climb high enough that nothing happens near the ground. They're just so dammed loud.

I don't want this be political....if it as deemed as such then I apologize. The rules regarding firework sales here are below stupid. The stuff is illegal but the vendors can sell you a "permit" that makes the stuff legal in certain environments where there is a certain amount of space and where safety precautions are taken. Basically it costs you an extra $13 just to shop at the fireworks vendor; you buy stuff and eave and do whatever the hell you want with it. No one follows rules. The police enforce nothing for 2-3 weeks. Lay down the law and break it. No problem! It's all bullsh*t on the part of law enforcement. If I speed I get a ticket. If I have a 30' x 20' back yard in the nearby town and if I'm launching 3" exploding mortar balls over the neighborhood it's no problem. I think that over the forth we should all be allowed to drive 60 mph through town. Fair's fair.

Gas stations all over the Milwaukee suburbs and nearby towns suddenly have a cargo container on the lawn and a tent and here today/gone tomorrow sellers are peddling big fireworks. The gas station owner gets 7% off the back end and it's all cool. No problem! I doubt that you could find the fireworks vendors 2 months later. It's all very sketchy.

4. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

seekonk is a smallish town right on the rhode island border.

8barlouie likes this.
  5. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

First of all, thunderstorms are a natural phenomenon and in addition to the potential danger, they provide some benefits as well for the earth and its inhabitants. Secondly semi-trucks are generally engaged in local and interstate commerce and a necessary part of our civilization and generally banned from recklessly hauling ass around residential neighborhoods. There's plenty of cops willing to pull over truckers who are doing the wrong thing.

So, your argument is meritless. Fireworks do not belong in residential areas, especially when many of us live in areas where they are illegal. Unlike a speeding semi through our neighborhood, the police will not respond to calls about illegal fireworks and this adds to the frustration. It's been the 4th of July here for nearly 10 days straight and there's no sign of it letting up soon.

drlucky, Georox, televillian and 2 others like this.
  6. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

It’s in Massachusetts. According to my knowledge of history, the Sons of Liberty kicked off the Revolutionary War by dumping a shipment of tea into Boston Harbor, less than an hour drive from my home. That it why I’m claiming this neck of the woods as the cradle of American Liberty.

ruger9 likes this.
  7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

They eliminated helmet laws and allowed Darwin fireworks at around the same time here.

I have no comment on either as I participate in neither.

Dum dum fun fun...

drlucky and daddyplaysbass like this.
  8. stratoblaster

stratoblaster Tele-Meister

I'll only comment on AZ since we have forests complete shutdown because of wildfire danger right now. It's such a tinderbox, you can't even smoke outside in these regions. You can be fined if your trailer is dragging a chain on the highway. You can't even hike the hiking trails or drive the forest roads and forget camping altogether. We own a cabin in one of these regions (Tonto Forest) and a few weeks ago, an AirBNB'er down the street thought it would be cool to shoot bottle rockets. I guess the austerity measures don't apply to visitors. I wasn't there, but I'm pretty sure the neighborhood left their torches at home and showed up double fisted with pitchforks. I'm not for making fun or "Murica!" illegal. But when stupidity and arrogance puts others lives and possessions at risk we really have no choice.

That or we can ignore law and let the neighbors sort it out with pitchforks.

drlucky, Georox and televillian like this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty we are free at last?

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Fireworks are annoying, dangerous and inconsiderate.
    It’s a wonder they are not mandatory here.

11. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

oh...hmmmm...did not know that

12. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Population control. Yes, you may ride without a helmet, but don't take your hands off the wheel! Or jump out of the car at 60 mph, even though, you'll be alright.

13. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Certain fireworks are legal here, for one week to celebrate the 4th of July. The are sold in stands located around the city. However, this does not prevent the "I do what I want" crowd from driving an hour south to Missouri and buying anything they want. The police try to catch them, but plenty slip back in to the state.
    Banning fireworks will only deny the law-abiding folks from having some fun. The a-holes who fire off the illegal stuff will still do it. It's illegal now, so why would another law really help?

14. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oh yeah, I googled it.
    gotcha. We’ll have to get a petition to get the Liberty Bell moved then. :twisted:

Before this goes south, take a look at my location, and know that I’m just having some fun with ya.

drlucky and 8barlouie like this.
  15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

He he he ...

Is there a fireworks scene in Idiocracy ? I haven't seen that in awhile...

brookdalebill and Obsessed like this.
  16. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I did. Keep the Bell right where it is. It’s already been cracked once.

17. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Afflicted

I'm pretty sure it's not legal for me to fire off my weapons for entertainment purposes inside the city limits. Just saying. Police would be at my door pretty quickly.

drlucky likes this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

There's the rub. It would be bad enough if it were truly only for one day, but the undeniably, absolutely, certifiable idiots that just keep setting fireworks off for ten days before, and at least that long after is without merit of any kind. What can they possibly attain from such behavior? They are not celebrating our or their independence, they are displaying equally their idiocy, stupidity and utter selfishness.

drlucky and Obsessed like this.
  19. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Afflicted

Where are you in AZ? We had some professionally done displays last night, but I didn't hear too many of my neighbors setting them off. I haven't seen any sellers set up in this area this year, that may be why. I guess the city or county banned sales due to the drought.

20. Snook

Snook Tele-Meister

A guy here in Dayton had a car full of fireworks..... lit one and threw it out the window of his car while driving down the road.... it blew back in his rear window..... Car was totalled, he's in critical condition. Gets my vote for the Darwin award this year.

drlucky, Georox and 8barlouie like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.