1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fireworks should be illegal

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teleman1, Jul 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

What would you do if something goes wrong halfway through?

There's reasons the pros use remote electrical systems. Or am I missing something?

2. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

A few years ago, in a village close to where i live, the fireworks (organized by the city hall ) shot straight in the crowd. Can t remember if there ware any casualities, but you don t want to be front row when this happen.

Paul Jenkin likes this.
  3. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Why is this relevant?

Iago, bottlenecker, CharlieO and 4 others like this.
  4. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I am not american , but I do believe the op is not so much commenting on the fireworks itself , but more on the irresponcibility of its use in a dry drought ridden area that could have dire consiquences , I would be all for fireworks used in a responcible manner , just not by some (speculatory ) drunk with out reguard for the suroundings

I one year set off a few hundred dollars worth of fireworks on my 1/3 acre and I found that my yard was way too small for that much visualization, that was the last time I did that , and at least I was not drunk, and my best friend a paramedic was on hand for the festivities.

I hope every one had a safe and fun holiday

5. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

Banned in my state but it doesn’t get enforced from what I can see. Personally I like fireworks, but the sheer terror they inflict on my dog makes me wish they would enforce it. He shakes for hours when they are going off, which has been every night over the last week.

bblumentritt likes this.
  6. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Fireworks are illegal in Austin, and have been for years.

My neighborhood was lit up until way past midnight by people (mostly renters) who shoot of craploads of fireworks from the middle of the street, and usually leave the spent trash in the street.

Call the police? Ha! Austin is short something like 400 cops, and the city hasn't taken any steps to renew the officers' contract, and now we are the only "Freedom City" in the USA, whereby we prevent cops from arresting people for minor crimes.

We heard one of our neighbors calling the police from his backyard, at around 11pm. I doubt if the police ever came. The last time two times I called them on a nuisance call, it was 4 hours until they showed up once, and the other time they never showed.

Don't forget that many vets are traumatized by the sound of fireworks.

drlucky likes this.
  7. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Here in CA they have banned everything except banning. The senate just passed a bill you can’t have more than 2 power tubes in an Amp :eek:

Chick-N-Picker and SPUDCASTER like this.
  8. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

I am with John Adams, who said of Independence Day:

"I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more."

I am not a textualist, so I can include fireworks in with the "Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations". American Independence is worth remembering, and celebrating.

And if your dog poops on my lawn, please pick it up.

Out.

9. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

It's extremely relevant.

Talk a walk around the block in my neighborhood. You can spot the rent homes easily. Four to six cars for one 1400SF 3/2/2 house, often with cars parked in the front yard. Trash and beer cans in the yard. Yards un-mowed and/or full of weeds. Trashy looking places. The homeowner occupied home all look well cared for.

However, it's not just looks.

The renters are the ones that create all the nuisances in the neighborhood. Loud parties. Fireworks in the street. I've had my mailbox run over twice, and so have several of my neighbors. My car has been run into, and so have my neighbors. All of this done by party-goers at rent homes. I've seen these people throw their trash out of their car windows and throw their beer cans and bottles out in the street an on people's yards. I've had them climb fences into my back yard. I could go on and on and on.

On average, the renters don't respect their neighbors the way that homeowners do, at least not in my neighborhood.

drlucky, Bones and Georox like this.
  10. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Afflicted

You might be my neighbor. Started up well before sundown and went well past midnight. It sounded like the Battle of the Bulge. Nextdoor app is full of people's pets gone missing. They should crack down on use in the city limits.

11. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Having grown up in SoCAL in the 70s and 80s, I have a childlike fascination with unsafe and insane fireworks, since they were not available. Back then, unless you drove to Mexico or Nevada, you could only buy the stuff that stays on the ground and doesn't explode. Years later I think many places made them all illegal.

It makes sense, since the western US is fire-prone, by default. I was taught in school that the local tribes marked their calendars with fire seasons. Heck, read Two Years Before the Mast to get a good 1800s description of how Santa Barbara was known to Spanish and settlers for being fire-prone. Western states and fireworks don't mix. Period.

Sooooooo.... Now I live in Appalachia. Very wet summers. It's Wild West when it comes to fireworks. Get outside the city limits and it's all available for purchase and use. Not that fires and injuries don't occur. I mean, this is hillbilly country. Fires and injuries happen regardless. But there are no multi-state wildfires that start from a cigarette or teenager with a smoke bomb. Floods are the main act of gawd here. Not fires.

Anyhoo... So, this year I learned that apparently anyone can become a firework distributor. No license needed that I'm aware of. Just buy a bunch of stuff from the wholesalers, and sell off or use what you get. Fireworks are expensive. But bulk prices are ridiculously low in comparison. Oh yeah, and anyone can set them off. No certifications or license that I'm aware of.

You can see where I'm going with this.

Knowing I looooooooooove mortars for reasons mentioned earlier, a friend invited us to their firework block party. Except it wasn't a block party. It was a major display. They set up behind a local little league field, and invited all their friends and family for a huge, run-amok, cookout extravaganza. They showed us the setup, and let my son help out with last minute fuse prepping.

Wow. Just wow. They apparently bought a few thousand dollars worth of production sized mortars and such, sold some to friends and family to help cover costs, and set up the rest for display. And it matched many city productions I've seen. Roughly 30mins with few pauses. Grand finale and everything. And given the smaller gathering, we could get up close with beach chairs, with no parking and traffic issues.

Happy ending, in that there were no injuries or fires. Not that this makes it all ok. But man it was good. Really good.

LutherBurger likes this.
  12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I was feeling for my dogs last night with the fireworks going off all around the city. It sounded like a war zone. Then, I wondered what a survivor of multiple tours of duty in the war zones over the last almost thirty years in the Middle East and suffering from severe PTSD would have to say about indiscriminate, illegal and unsafe use of these large fireworks would have to say about the situation?
    I am a freedom loving person who would prefer to live in a utopia where everyone respected everyone else’s freedom to the point of not subjecting each other to such excess. Because there is so little of that civic responsibility, we have laws. I am subjected to laws restricting my personal freedoms in areas which have NO effect on anyone else, so I have no compunctions about laws which prevent my neighbors from affecting my life directly and in a negative manner.
    Fwiw, these personal ‘firework displays’ were being fired off at the same time that the city was shooting off a professionally done and well-organized display of surely wonderous magnificence at great expense. All of these folks who were wasting money on their personal display could have driven 15 minutes to gaze in awe at a huge display. They could have put that wasted firework money into their kids’ education, maybe??????
    Freedom is not without responsibility to assure that one’s actions do not interfere with others’ “life, liberty and pursuit of happiness”.
    I will also observe that as a Veteran and the son of a veteran I do NOT like the abuse of the flag. It is not to be used as an article of clothing, folks. It is not to be used as a cap. It is not to be slapped on the side of a vehicle. It is not to be used as a commercial come-on. It is not to be used as a decoration on a diaper. The Code of Ethics for the U.S. flag is an interesting document.
    Freedom, responsibility, and respect to all.

13. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Holic

Do you all rail against thunderstorms when they're happening due to the lights, noise and agitation of your pets? My dog flips out to the semi trucks going down the highway and the mail delivery, should I see about closing the highway, maybe get a po box in town?

Is it the fireworks themselves or the people using them you really don't care for?

ruger9 likes this.
  14. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I have a love/hate relationship with fireworks.

I hate the noise because it freaks my dog out.

But all of those pops and booms neck door last night - that’s the sound of liberty, which I love. I don’t have the right not to be annoyed, nor do I want it, with all of the baggage that comes along with it.

15. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Yes, I'm sure these things will happen but, hopefully, less frequently than where fireworks are being handled by less-experienced members of the public.

16. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

If we're banning things that are dangerous and obnoxious, let's start with motorcycles. Tobacco. Alcohol. Cars that can go over the speed limit. Private aircraft. Knives. Guns. Chainsaws. Private ownership of machine tools. Open bonfires and charcoal grills.

Personally, one or two nights of fireworks a year doesn't bother me. The idiots on their open pipe Harleys driving by and waking me dozens of times a night, every night, are much worse. Also the morons driving by with rap playing so loud it shakes my windows should be flogged.

Bicyclists who insist on backing up traffic on state routes need jailed. Joggers who wear those stupid, extra tight shorts and no shirts are another group that piss me off worse than people celebrating the birth of my nation in the traditional manner.

And people who insist on giving more power to an already corrupt, dangerous and power hungry government scare me more than anything else.

All I'm saying is, before you talk about controlling other people for dumb ****, make sure your own **** doesn't stink worse.

I shouldn't need to say this but I know I have to avoid misunderstandings: those examples were satirical, I'm a liberatarian. Do what you want, don't pester me with it, and keep the gubmint out of my business.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  17. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

stupid double post

abrianb likes this.
  18. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    BURN HIM!

abrianb likes this.
  19. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

2A disagrees with you. Nice try, commie.

20. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

I'm waiting for everyone who's used the word weapons to put two and two together and figure out what other weapons might end up on the chopping block if banning fireworks for that reason is okay. I guarantee that would start a not-suitable-for-TDPRI discussion.

Most fireworks are already illegal in most states. The laws against them aren't there to prevent their use, they're there to give society recourse against those who do. As it happens, most folks don't want the penalties, and that's the deterrent.

If someone's using fireworks illegally, call the police. If you don't want to call the police for whatever reason, it isn't really a priority. If your city's police can't/won't/don't enforce the laws and you're not working to elect leadership that will make them do it, it isn't really a priority. If there aren't laws in place and you're not working to elect leadership that will enact them, it isn't really a priority. If you don't like fireworks and still live near people might use them (legally or not), it isn't really a priority. If moving isn't an option and you elect to spend the evening where there might be fireworks, it isn't really a priority.

TheGoodTexan and bassetman like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.