Firefly guitars?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by studio1087, Aug 9, 2019.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Does anyone own a Firefly? What do you think? Do they stay in tune? What are the frets like?

FWIW Firefly is an extremely economical import (but they look cool) offered on Amazon. Styles and designs come and go. You have to buy them when you can get them.

A friend has a metallic yellow LP Junior copy. He wants exactly what he paid......$130.

I’ve been in a mode where I’ll sell two guitars and buy 1. I’m paring down and increasing quality. I don’t know if this is logical or just a goofy fetish. I love yellow.

Firefly? Any input?

[​IMG]

uriah1 and Bruxist like this.
  2. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

No nothing about them but am curious to find out.

studio1087 likes this.
  3. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted

Do a search on the agile guitar forum.
    There is a long thread about people being happy with the firefly guitars.

There are several YouTube videos from the 60 cycle hum guy also.

Can you not play it before you buy it from your buddy?

blowtorch and studio1087 like this.
  4. jjudas

jjudas Tele-Meister

There's a big Firefly group on Facebook.

DrBGood, KG7IL and studio1087 like this.
  5. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I would buy a MIC Epiphone first, but I do love cheap, cool guitars...

Skydog1010 likes this.
  6. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

bring back firefly!

no power in the verse can stop me.

stratology, beyer160 and Dennyf like this.
  7. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

based on what you posted, many Epiphone LP's out there configured as such at around 90.00, I would search around and talk to online sales people rather than buy an unknown identity.

I have owned several of the little Epiphone buggers and was quite please with them.
    HB and P90, string through bridge/saddles/stop bar combination...they actually work. If the scale is correct these usually make excellent players, but you will likely have to stay with the same weight strings and all of mine came with 9's on them, that was the reason I got rid of them.

studio1087 likes this.
  8. studio1087

There’s a P90 Epi sitting upstairs in my son’s room. He’s a senior in college and took his Yamaha Acoustic to school. The Epi SG stayed behind. I bought his black Epi SG on craigslist for $60. I think I paid the right amount. This are our son/father rigs.......

[​IMG]

My opinion is worthless.....it’s just me but I’ve never been a big Epi guy. I love my Gibson’s. The Epi above has an odd fitting bolt on neck, the tuners feel very cheap and the gloss coat feels like thick plastic. It was a nice starter for our son 7 years ago as was the solid state Fender amp. I had an Epi 12 String Acoustic many years ago and the Epi shaped headstock was so long that I couldn’t find a hard case that would fit the guitar. Maybe that soured me. My opinion is just an opinion. No big deal.

I also have a fetish for yellow Gibson style guitars.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I think I’m buying a $130 Firefly in School Bus yellow. :cool:

I do appreciate the info.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  9. Skydog1010

Looking forward to hearing a great review of your Firefly. I hope it is better than your expectations. Good luck.

studio1087 likes this.
  10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Have you owned any other Juniors? Any other P90s? If not get it!
    I have an Epi LP Special I bought several years back because of Phil X and this video. Glad I did.
    60 cycle hum channel has a few videos on the fireflies. Worst case you level the frets and do a setup on it. Best case you just rock it.

11. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

Over at Squier-Talk there’s a few threads about Fireflies, someone puts a thread up that a new shipment of them came in, and the guitars sell out in, like, a day. Then there’s another thread Raving about how good they are, for 1/2-1/3 of what an Epi goes for... I was tempted by one of their 335 copies, until I found out they have thin necks...

12. studio1087

I had a Gibson Les Paul Jr that I sold in favor of the SG Junior (picture above). I liked the tone and weight of the SG more than the Les Paul. P90’s? I have the SG Jr, the yellow double cut Les Paul pictured above, a walnut Les Paul P90 Special and a PRS SE 245 P90 guitar.

I’ve seen that Phil X video many times. I like Phil. I thought Powder was a fun band and I love The Drills.

13. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

I have seen reviews and people that love them say the frets are slopy, binding and other things but great guitars. o_O

studio1087 likes this.
  14. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

The blue burst 335-style is back on Amazon. FYI (if I were in the market for a semi hollow I’d be thinking about this). 1 P90 guitars ROCK!

15. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

Not trying to be a jerk—I don’t know you, your friend, or either of your circumstances—but I would cut a friend a deal, not try to sell him a used guitar for what I paid for it new.

Lake Placid Blue and bender66 like this.
  16. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

What a rabid cult that group is. Everyone is willing to overlook the horrible bridge placement on that first run just to say they got a $130 guitar. It's an ok deal when you have to factor in another bridge, tuners, pickup, etc. I really wanted the silverburst version but that wonky bridge placement turned me way off. The 338's are a different story though.
    [​IMG]

Harley Benton just came out with their version for not much more & it looks great. There's a recent thread here already. That's the one i'd look at.

17. coonhollow greg

coonhollow greg Tele-Meister

I just bought two of the 338's. Black and the sunburst. The guitars were both very playable out of the box. The fretwork is good and the finish and binding job on them is better than a lot of way more expensive guitars. I can't think of any reason you would lose anything buying one.

18. RatBug

RatBug Tele-Meister

I have one of the Wine/Dark Red 338's. I was going to buy a 335 clone kit to build but I saw a 338 and the reviews so I got one.

It is good base guitar. It's pretty, plays and sounds good.

My tuners sucked to I replaced then with some with some black Wilkinsons I had laying around. My bridge and tailpiece was OK, but since I put on black tuner I bought a cheap Tune-o-matic from quitar fetish.

THe pickups are OK but they are micrphonic so I might try wax potting them later.

I'm happy with it.

19. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Meister

Not really ...
    I'm not sure Epiphone ever made a Jr DC P90 with set neck. All the ones I've seen are bolt on. Not so with the Firefly. And If I remeber well, the Firefly has a fat C neck like a Gibson. Epiphone has the usual Slim Taper D.

So I say, get it.

20. Skydog1010

Correct bolt on, modern c profile, less than a 100 bucks new, all three of them. Great little lightweight guitars. IMG_20180505_164823_941.jpg IMG_20180506_204725_440.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.