FireBird P/U's

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Tommyd55, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

Is it just me or do these FireBird Pickups really sound as good as I think they do...?

This is sounding freakishly awesome to me.. Credit to Joe the player is due for sure.. but wow.

I am in the planning stages for my maybe last partscaster and these FireBirds are hitting the spot...
    Plus , they would kinda fit the theme as I am looking at a Mustang body / Tele Rutters half bridge / tele neck pocket and neck / Mustang Vol & Tone with 3 way toggle lower bout.
    Have even considered putting a trem on it to fill in some space on the tail end.. although I haven't decided on a trem maker yet.

I already have 3 others, 1 tele w/singles , modded Jagurillo with P90's / and a modded jagstang tele thing with humbuckers.
    FireBirds would be something different.. kinda in between the P90's and Tele..?
    All I know is the FB's here sound sweet to me..

Greggorios and brookdalebill like this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Too durn long & slow on the demo there but I have both and prefer Firebirds!
    Not funded for lollar dollar gear I bought one and then two more import Firebird pickups with at least correct low dcr readings.
    After changing the brass cover on one to nickel silver it sounded great, but inside were bar poles and a magnet under the coils, but at least it was possible to change the bars to correct alnico bars.
    So far I've compared one rebuilt with nickel and alnico bars to one rebuilt with just the nickel cover.
    The true Firebird is sweeter, brighter, and lower output.

I also like real mini hums but they need to be like the vintage wind at around 6k.

What I don't like about these little pups is they are much narrower than Fender bridge string spacing.
    The cheap imports I have are so badly out of original spec that they are closer to Fender spacing, which I like a lot!

Listen to some Johnny Winter for Firebird toanz...
    Blind Faith too.

Greggorios and Tommyd55 like this.
  3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I have a Guitar Madness 'Songbird' pickup on my Mosrite JR style kit build. I really like it and use it often on the Twanger Challenge tracks here if you want to hear it in action.

telemnemonics and Tommyd55 like this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's the one I bought three of.
    I think it was chicago luthier I bought the nickel covers from and they note that the covers are longer than stock Gibson, which fits the loner than Gibson GMS pickup.
    Also put mojotone firbird magnets in one since it is not an actual firebird pickup under the cover, having a bar mag under the coils.

5. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Tommyd55 and brookdalebill like this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I sure like the stock pickups in my 2013 Firebird V.
    I am putting a Seymour Duncan Antiquity in the bridge position of my 56 gold top reissue.
    I like both regular mini humbuckers and Firebird minis, always have!

Greggorios and Mincer like this.
  7. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

i've replaced gibson "firebird" pickups in 4 recent, new millennium gibson firebird guitar offerings because what gibson purported as firebird pickups turned out to be mini-humbuckers. there IS a difference. mini-humbuckers are built exactly like a PAF humbucker, but with scaled down bobbins that share a single underslung bar magnet (ceramic or alnico V) and slugs 'n' screws in the bobbins and will be wound with 42 or 43 or even 44 coil wire and held together with screws and the cover solder joints ... whereas a typical vintage gibson firebird pickup has a full alnico V bar magnet inside each bobbin and wound only with 42 coil wire and held together with potting wax and a pair of solder blobs holding the cover to the frame. true vintage gibson firebird pickups will meter at about 6.0k to 6.6k, with 6.2k the average, and are NOT mini-humbuckers with high 10k-13k dcr values as what we found in those 4 gibson usa firebird guitars. hopefully, that's changed for gibson and their customers.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  8. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

One of these days, I'm hoping to try one of Rob's Phoenix FB's in the neck of my Tele.

9. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have had quite a few mini's. I just sold a Firebird pickup. I don't hear a ton of difference really. I love minis but always come back to wanting more low end. They are king of mids though!

BB likes this.
  10. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

The stock lead pickup in my 2017 FB measures an impressive 25k. The Duncan SM-1 and SM-3 I installed were a vast improvement. I recognize that those aren't necessarily the final word in Firebird pickups, but I got them cheap and they did the trick.

Rob DiStefano and Mincer like this.
  11. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

ya really gotta wonder about gibson usa ..... geez.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  12. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Yes.
    I bought some cheap chinese Firebird-style pickups a while back and they totally hit the sweet spot for me. Joe's comment is they are like single-coils on steroids, and I'd have to agree. Sure, I'd like to put real magnets in and nickel covers on them, but I'm playing them so darn much I probably couldn't find the time if I did. If new magnets and covers make them sound any better, I'm ready for the sun to rise at midnight and flowers to bloom out my butt on the first G chord I play with them in.
    I'm saving my pennies for a set myself... Someday Rob, someday.

Tommyd55 and BB like this.
  13. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

mini-vs-bird.jpg

This is why Deluxe-type minis don't sound like real Firebird pickups.

The new ones have finer wire which is why the high DCr, they actually sound not bad to me but not Winteresque. Someone on a board somewhere swapped the ceramic blades out for alnico IV and said big improvement - but who knows if that's correct.

If you buy Duncan's - be warned the antiquities are made like genuine twin blade magnet Firebirds, but the higher gain varieties are made like Minis with single base magnet - not bad pickups but missing the 'chang' of real 'birds and more PAF sounding.

Stewmac makes a basic mini kit which you can use for either.

beyer160 and Tommyd55 like this.
  14. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

Definetly not looking for any of the high gain variety... I will say the high gain clips in that demo I posted do sound quite interesting to me though. However it is the delicate passages that really float my boat.. All in all I just liked everything I heard from the FB's.. I definitely preferred the FB's over the mini HB's in that demo.

15. JMac52

JMac52 Tele-Meister

I love mine, with a 51/52 Lion bridge...

BB likes this.
  16. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Nice combo jmac

17. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I wouldn't buy anyone else's FB pickups but those made at Cavalier pickups by Rob DiStefano. Anything else is a way over-priced fake made for turning a FB into a death metal guitar. That ain't a FB and that ain't what they were designed to do either. If you want the true spirit of a FB talk to Rob and get the real deal.

Sure wish we could get over this high gain business. If I read or hear, "will it do metal" one more time I am gonna go buy the heaviest Les Paul guitar I can find and start swinging it as a club

One of the earliest "heavy metal" players was one Jame Patrick Page. If you listen closely to his playing the gain is very low. Surprisingly, it still rocks too and doesn't sound like a locomotive running off the rails.

18. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

So does that include the Duncan SM-1?

https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/vintage-mini-humbucker-neck?__uuid_ref=5dc2e63384a30

19. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

20. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

It was my understanding that the SM-1 has the vintage FB construction. Are you sure about that?.
    Al

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.