Fiona Apple calls Neil Portnow a fruitcake, lashes out at Recording Academy over Dr. Luke nomination

Sax-son

Tele-Afflicted
You all realize this post is just straight-up trolling, right?

If someone can't stand the heat, they should stay out of the fire. If you start throwing out hand grenades you should expect a little blowback from those with opposing perspectives. I hardly consider that trolling.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
The only sure way to detect trolling is to observe the poster after submitting the original post.

5b0nnd.jpg

Sconnie

Friend of Leo's
So, actors can’t take a stand against Weinstein if they win an Oscar? Please.

So you're saying Weinstein himself was the academy? Come on, re-read the OP. It sounds like this Fiona Apple was saying "The VMA's are BS, this industry is awful" while at the podium accepting their award (that gave her some publicity.) Then did basically the same for the Grammy's only she didn't win so she had no podium.

Didn't the Sex Pistols refuse to show up for their nomination cause they don't give two sh!ts about the industry? That's the way to do it. Apple got paid to be there and protest, gimme a break.

The main issue here is that people keep consuming this inauthentic nonsense.

Sax-son

Tele-Afflicted
I will begin by saying that I am not a Fiona Apple fan. Her music just sounds like a bunch of Bjork outtakes.

Fiona Apple has never held back when it comes to calling out the music industry, famously saying “This world is bull****” during an acceptance speech at the 1997 VMAs. Now she has turned her attention to the 2021 Grammys, where she’s nominated for three awards off her wildly acclaimed album Fetch the Bolt Cutters. In a new interview with the Guardian published earlier this year, Apple criticized the Recording Academy for giving Dr. Luke his first nomination since Kesha accused him of sexual abuse (which he denies). “Not to go back to that word, but it’s bull****,” she said. Dr. Luke is nominated for Record of the Year as a producer on Doja Cat’s “Say So” under the pseudonym Tyson Trax. “I keep going back to them putting Kesha onstage like, ‘We believe you’ — and I believe her — then two years later, Tyson Trax,” she added, referencing Kesha’s performance of “Praying” at the 2018 awards.

Apple also addressed Deborah Dugan’s firing as president and CEO of the Recording Academy, which reportedly came after Dugan uncovered a culture of sexism in the organization. “There’s a lot of things that she brought up that make it so that I can’t vet that situation, and I don’t really wanna go there and support it,” Apple told the Guardian. Apple previously criticized Neil Portnow, the Academy’s chief before Dugan, for his 2018 comments that women needed to “step up” for awards nominations by wearing a “Kneel, Portnow” T-shirt during a performance. Apple also spoke about being part of a slate of all women nominated for Best Rock Performance. She said, after hearing the news, she wanted to make a T-shirt with the names of all the nominees to wear for her weekly Tumblr selfie, before deciding against it. “I felt like this is exactly what they want me to do: It’s better now! I got nominated! And it’s all women this year and the Grammys are great!” she said. Apple went on to describe how if she won the award, she “would just get up there with a sledgehammer and I wouldn’t say anything. I would take the Grammy and smash it into enough pieces to share, and I would invite all the ladies up” — although, she also wondered if she could convince the slate of nominees to “boycott this **** because of Dr Luke.”

Regardless of whatever harassment allegations Mr. Portnow faced, I used to think Neil Portnow was a pretty good figure in the music industry. Not anymore.

Neil Portnow is nothing but a shell of his former self. A shame too, as this guy helped sign Whitney Houston to her first contract and was hailed a "hero" by Clive Davis in Davis' 2012 memoir, The Soundtrack of My Life.

Better yet, if Fiona Apple dislikes music so much, why doesn't she just retire? Might help her blow off steam.

From her early beginnings, I never got the sense that she was that much of a team player. She had a lot of attention at first, but I don't have a clue where that is today.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
So you're saying Weinstein himself was the academy? Come on, re-read the OP. It sounds like this Fiona Apple was saying "The VMA's are BS, this industry is awful" while at the podium accepting their award (that gave her some publicity.) Then did basically the same for the Grammy's only she didn't win so she had no podium.

Didn't the Sex Pistols refuse to show up for their nomination cause they don't give two sh!ts about the industry? That's the way to do it. Apple got paid to be there and protest, gimme a break.

The main issue here is that people keep consuming this inauthentic nonsense.
The VMA thing was 1997...

The remark about the Grammy’s was made during an interview with the Guardian magazine. Not AT the Grammy Awards night. Suggesting she would have made it a “Podium” issue 24 years later based on 1997 behavior is pure speculation.

Last edited:

tanplastic

Friend of Leo's
The VMA thing was 1997...

The remark about the Grammy’s was made during an interview with the Guardian magazine. Not AT the Grammy Awards night. Suggesting she would have made it a “Podium” issue 24 years later based on 1997 behavior is pure speculation.
One hundred dollars in bitcoin says the member you quoted blows right by this fact.
Gotta keep that outrage stoked!

Sconnie

Friend of Leo's
One hundred dollars in bitcoin says the member you quoted blows right by this fact.
Gotta keep that outrage stoked!

You can keep your monopoly money ;) She's the one who's outraged, I'm just amazed anyone is listening to her anymore.