Fiona Apple calls Neil Portnow a fruitcake, lashes out at Recording Academy over Dr. Luke nomination

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by IMMusicRulz, Sep 22, 2021.

1. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz Tele-Meister

I will begin by saying that I am not a Fiona Apple fan. Her music just sounds like a bunch of Bjork outtakes.

Fiona Apple has never held back when it comes to calling out the music industry, famously saying “This world is bull****” during an acceptance speech at the 1997 VMAs. Now she has turned her attention to the 2021 Grammys, where she’s nominated for three awards off her wildly acclaimed album Fetch the Bolt Cutters. In a new interview with the Guardian published earlier this year, Apple criticized the Recording Academy for giving Dr. Luke his first nomination since Kesha accused him of sexual abuse (which he denies). “Not to go back to that word, but it’s bull****,” she said. Dr. Luke is nominated for Record of the Year as a producer on Doja Cat’s “Say So” under the pseudonym Tyson Trax. “I keep going back to them putting Kesha onstage like, ‘We believe you’ — and I believe her — then two years later, Tyson Trax,” she added, referencing Kesha’s performance of “Praying” at the 2018 awards.

Apple also addressed Deborah Dugan’s firing as president and CEO of the Recording Academy, which reportedly came after Dugan uncovered a culture of sexism in the organization. “There’s a lot of things that she brought up that make it so that I can’t vet that situation, and I don’t really wanna go there and support it,” Apple told the Guardian. Apple previously criticized Neil Portnow, the Academy’s chief before Dugan, for his 2018 comments that women needed to “step up” for awards nominations by wearing a “Kneel, Portnow” T-shirt during a performance. Apple also spoke about being part of a slate of all women nominated for Best Rock Performance. She said, after hearing the news, she wanted to make a T-shirt with the names of all the nominees to wear for her weekly Tumblr selfie, before deciding against it. “I felt like this is exactly what they want me to do: It’s better now! I got nominated! And it’s all women this year and the Grammys are great!” she said. Apple went on to describe how if she won the award, she “would just get up there with a sledgehammer and I wouldn’t say anything. I would take the Grammy and smash it into enough pieces to share, and I would invite all the ladies up” — although, she also wondered if she could convince the slate of nominees to “boycott this **** because of Dr Luke.”

Regardless of whatever harassment allegations Mr. Portnow faced, I used to think Neil Portnow was a pretty good figure in the music industry. Not anymore.

Neil Portnow is nothing but a shell of his former self. A shame too, as this guy helped sign Whitney Houston to her first contract and was hailed a "hero" by Clive Davis in Davis' 2012 memoir, The Soundtrack of My Life.

Better yet, if Fiona Apple dislikes music so much, why doesn't she just retire? Might help her blow off steam.

Ronzo and bcorig like this.
  2. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

The music industry is messed up.

Suggesting that she hates music or should stop making her art because of some business people somewhere is silly.

3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Holic

Wherever there is money and power, it draws corruption and corrupted people. And if decent people get there… they usually end up corrupted.

very few exceptions. Sports, TV/film/music, the usual: politics, religion, the business world. Too many examples to count. It’s a human problem, and it’s not an easy one to weed out of any field.

megalomaniacs are always aiming for more influence, at the expense of people they consider lower class than themselves.. and good people often want to just live their lives in peace.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    stnmtthw, GibbyTwin, StoneH and 7 others like this.
  4. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz Tele-Meister

Try saying that to Gordon Gekko. :)

5. Sparky472

Sparky472 Tele-Holic

Weird post. You sure are giving a lot of attention to an artist whose music you don’t like, and whose motivations you clearly don’t understand. Though how you could mistake them for a dislike of music is vexing. Or perhaps that’s just a smokescreen for exactly the attitudes that Apple is against.

6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

The lizard that’s always hawking insurance? or Michael Douglas?

7. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz Tele-Meister

Michael Douglas

Ronzo, Fiesta Red and Killing Floor like this.
  8. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Afflicted

Is Fiona Apple the girl who recorded "Criminal"? I remember her.

9. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz Tele-Meister

She is. Very huge part of the Lilith Fair too, alongside Sheryl Crow and the animal rights lady from Canada.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  10. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
    Allow me to offer a quote: “Fiona, I’m wanted back on Earth now”

Blackmore Fan and IMMusicRulz like this.
  11. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Afflicted

I see. I bet she slays it on Karaoke night at the local pub.

Rowdyman, OmegaWoods and IMMusicRulz like this.
  12. Opt_234

Opt_234 Tele-Meister

what a short-sighted and ill-informed post :)

13. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Fiona Apple is a nut!

Add Tori Amos...and PJ Harvey and Bjork...to that list. Those womerns'd prolly kill you in your sleep because you left the seat up.

14. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

I like being part of TDPRI, but so far, this is a very sad collection of comments.
    Tori, Sarah and Fiona are incredible musicians. Bjork is strange and easy to make fun of (and I did in the past), but has made some really good music. I know very little about PJ Harvey’s music, but she’s a woman so it must be crap (sarcasm). Smdh.

Wipey, PacificChris, Jakedog and 31 others like this.
  15. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

Wildly inventive artist, pretty eccentric, but there's a long line of super-talented artists who've worked with her. All 5 of her records have charted in the Top 20, and she was only 19 when "Tidal" sold 2.9 million copies and got her a Grammy.

When it comes to money/power, some pretty heinous behavior gets overlooked, and she's 100% right to call them out on it.

dlew919, stnmtthw, phart and 17 others like this.
  16. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Afflicted

"Her music just sounds like a bunch of Bjork outtakes."

Nailed it.

But I don't have to listen to her, so it doesn't matter.

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  17. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

Wow the comments here!

What's she's objecting to is something lots of the grumpy old men on the forum would agree with if it came from someone else: the factory like production of pop music. Dr. Luke has had dozens of big hits by exercising a svengali-like influence on attractive young women, like Katy Perry. Anybody here love Katy Perry's music? I'm guessing no. The guy masterminds a production and marketing system that prioritizes simple pop music devoid of dynamic range and based on the sex appeal of young women who may or may not have any actual musical ability.

There's nothing wrong with the sex appeal of young women, unless they're held in a kind of svengali-like relationship in which they have little or no autonomy, as seems to be the case with Dr. Luke

And here she is pointing out how this kind of dynamic persists. Wow, let's attack her for that.

I haven't listened much to her music--it's not really aimed at 62 year old men. But her most recent album has been extravagantly praised and made best of the year lists for a really amazing range of 40 different music and media publications: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetch_the_Bolt_Cutters . Which of you guys has an album in anybody's top ten list?

But the statement above isn't really about her music, it's about the music industry. Who here thinks the music industry is great?

Weird reactions

18. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

i would just like to say that i don't know who any of those people in the OP are. besides which, there are easily a thousand things i can think of right now that are more important than the childish rants of a privileged pop star.

19. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

How do you know she's "a priviledged pop star", if you "don't know any of those people"?
    Just wanted to sound super-edgy and non-conformistic?
    Failed.

20. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

This. Thanks.

Jakedog, MilwMark, richiek65 and 8 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.