Finishing with Binding

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Adam Hewitt, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Adam Hewitt

Adam Hewitt NEW MEMBER!

Hey guys,

I have another question regarding finishing my tele kit. It came with a black binding and I plan on dying the top and just sealing the back and clear coating the entire body. When it comes to the binding, do you apply the clear coat over it? Do you tape it up? Any help regarding finishing with binding would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

2. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I can't speak for how everyone else does theirs but here is how I did mine.

First, I checked to make sure the binding I had would not accept my stain color. It thankfully did not. So I attached the binding, scraped it down flat to the wood and then applied my stain to the top of the body. Then I spray my seal coat over the top of everything including the binding. This sealed in the stain I had used. After that dried I scraped the finish away from the binding taking off the finish that was only on the binding. Then I sanded the sealer just lightly where I had scraped it away from the binding. Then I applied my tinted finish nitro over the binding until I had the hue of color I wanted and then I sprayed the entire guitar with clear, sanding every so often until the binding was smooth with the tops and sides.

Oceanic grass two.JPG

fidopunk likes this.
  3. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dye it all, scrape the color off the binding, apply clear over it all.

If you are concerned about dye staining your binding, you can tape it off while dying to reduce scraping.

Eric

4. brandonwhite

brandonwhite Tele-Meister

The nice thing about having black binding is that depending on how transparent your color coat is, you might not even need to scrape.
    If you're using wood dye, this is likely to be the case.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.