1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Finishing Tele but no laquer available..

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by twangbender, Jul 12, 2013.

1. twangbender

twangbender TDPRI Member

Hi,
    ive read allot on this forum but not everything is clear for me so i'll just post this and maybe someone can help me a bit.
    ive got 2 body's 1 body is a 2-piece red alder and the other one is a 1 piece swamp ash.

i want to paint the red alder in a color and want the swamp ash body in a clear transparant finish.
    whats the best way to do this cause im from europe and stew mac doesn't ship outside the U.S and we got no "Sherwin-Williams" we got other laquer shops but non of them have nitro for sale. a few of them have it in england but im from the netherlands. and only a few fender colors and clear nitro are available here in spray cans and way overpriced.

question about the alder body:
    does someone know where i can buy Liquid Pigment's in europe like the ones stewmac has ? so i can mix the colors with transparant nitro myself.
    anybody knows where i can get big size can's transparant nitro that i can mix with he dye's ?

question about the swamp ash body:
    i want it clear and want to do it with instrument laquer
    ive found this in a shop that will ship to my country

Instrument laquer

is this stuff is good and can somebody show me some results of their guitar done with behlen laquer ?

thanks

2. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

3. twangbender

twangbender TDPRI Member

half belgium is france :) but i can try ! thanks

4. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Mixol pigment is made in Germany. Should be available there. Its privately labeled as Colortone pigment.

5. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hi, twangbender, if the weather will cooperate, I'll show you a guitar with behlen lacquer, I'm hoping to shoot some black-tinted tomorrow. I've always had very good results with Behlen products, and think they are high quality. Shooting in the very high humidity we are having in the Atlanta area of late is new to me, so I have also purchased a spray can of Behlen's "Blush Eraser", just in case. I'm working against a very tight deadline, and just can't wait any longer. Results will be posted in my Labrocaster thread.

Sorry, I don't know of any European sources for tints.

6. twangbender

twangbender TDPRI Member

that would be great if u can show me some pics !
    i have a really nice 1 piece swamp ash that i want to put the behlen product on.

7. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Behlen is the consumer product brand line from the same manufacturer that makes Mohawk industrial woodworking finishes. I used to get it at a local lumberyard that catered to woodworkers (great selection of veneers and hardwoods, unfortunately didn't stay in business). I would put their lacquer on par with McFadden's (the real stuff, before somebody else acquired the rights to use that name). As with any other finish, it's best to use their lacquer thinner - or at least a thinner/reducer that's got a brand name of a company that makes lacquer and is made to actually thin lacquer. Many times "lacquer thinner" is a cheap collection of solvents that are okay for cleaning tools but not really the best thing to actually mix and spray lacquer. In fact I just learned today watching a hot rod show that PG makes different reducers for their automotive paints depending on the temperature range that you're spraying in - slow, medium, fast drying - how about that?

8. twangbender

twangbender TDPRI Member

i have ordered some thinner for thinning nitrocellulose that will work i think.
    i still have to shape the body it will take a while till i have results but i willpost them in this thread for sure.

thanks for the advice ;)

9. Holyoli

Holyoli Tele-Meister

10. twangbender

twangbender TDPRI Member

thanks for your help
    i want to use spray guns and mix things myself aerosol spray cans are way overpriced and i want to keep the costs low. i already have the equipment for spraying with a spray gun so i need to find dealers that sell clear nitro lacquer and thinner that i can use with nitro to the netherlands. i tried the above websites but they only sell spray cans.
    if i count all these prices of what i need i have to pay $130 for 1 paint job.
    i ordered some 250ml opaque colors, sanding sealer/primer, and 0,5L clear nitro from rothko and frost but they only send 0,5L cause of flamable danger during transport.
    if u got some more adressess in belgium or the netherlands for mixol dye's it would be very nice :)
    thanks

11. Holyoli

Holyoli Tele-Meister

Ok..., I thought one of these two was selling 1 liter clear lacquer, sorry.

Well, finding (good) nitro is indeed very difficult over here, it's nearly not used anymore. I found mine in France but afaik they don't send.
    I'll drop you a pm with ideas

As for the mixol pigments, I found them at a professional painter supply shop near my place, it seems very common. Maybe you could send a mail to mixol deutchland and ask them who is their distributor in Holland...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.