Finishing question: Palm prints on bare wood?

montyveda

Tele-Meister
Joined
Jun 14, 2021
Posts
104
Age
53
Location
Lancaster, UK
Hi guys,

I'm still slowly plodding through my first body build and the cedar top for my walnut tel-bass is super smooth and looking gorgeous... but

palm prints.jpg


Do i need to worry about the greasy palm prints?

They're only visible in certain light and what I don't want to do is seal them in when the tru-oil goes on.

I've tried removing them with sanding but am yet to try a chemical for fear of it staining the wood; I've got white spirit, methylated spirit, distilled vinegar, some random chemical free turps substitute... what would you experienced builders recommend?

Sorry if I'm being naïve but I've never done this before and really want to get it right the first time and really don't want to tarnish the finish with a 'schoolboy' error.

Thanks in advance :)
 

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Joined
Oct 11, 2019
Posts
13,845
Location
Beast of Bourbon
Do i need to worry about the greasy palm prints?

Also, make sure to allow the wood to fully dry after cleaning it--before applying any finish.

Acetone is the preferred way to prep particularly waxy/oily woods, e.g., rosewood, prior to glueing up, but white spirit/naphtha and mineral spirits work too. Acetone is a favorite because it evaporates extremely fast and doesn't slow you down waiting for the wood to completely dry.
 

tomasz

Tele-Afflicted
Joined
Dec 18, 2007
Posts
1,074
Location
Europe
Besides wiping them off, you will probably remove a good chunk of material smoothing out the surface. What type of instrument are you going to build, what is the application of the cedar?
 

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Nov 3, 2019
Posts
9,390
Age
67
Location
Adirondack Coast, NY
Is the flip-side unusable?

Try the solvents, they should help. But sometimes they can drive the contaminant deeper into the wood. I would use naptha first. If it doesn't do the job, use acetone.

If you can get rid of the ghost, instead of sanding, you may want to try a good woodworking scraper. Experiment on scrap if you are not familiar how to use one. A scraper can often provide superior results.
 

montyveda

Tele-Meister
Joined
Jun 14, 2021
Posts
104
Age
53
Location
Lancaster, UK
Besides wiping them off, you will probably remove a good chunk of material smoothing out the surface. What type of instrument are you going to build, what is the application of the cedar?
it's the lid for a chambered bass (the build is in another thread).
Is the flip-side unusable?
...
The flip side isn't the book matched side so would rather use this side.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll see if i can grab some acetone from the chemist tomorrow. :)
 

montyveda

Tele-Meister
Joined
Jun 14, 2021
Posts
104
Age
53
Location
Lancaster, UK
No acetone at the local chemist so ended up with 'super strength' nail polish remover that's 99% acetone. Not sure what the other 1% is though.
 

montyveda

Tele-Meister
Joined
Jun 14, 2021
Posts
104
Age
53
Location
Lancaster, UK
Tried the acetone but it more smudged it then removed it completely, so I ended up planing it down again. Fortunately i really enjoy planing.

The lesson learned today is not so much 'wear gloves' but use clamps. Up until the other day I'd been doing all the planing and sanding with the board firmly clamped at the two corners nearest to me... one final sanding session I held the board with one hand and sanded with the other; prolonged contact and my natural oils seeped in.
 




Top