finishing over sealer

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by KeithJ, Dec 1, 2015.

1. KeithJ

KeithJ Tele-Meister

Hi all, I just tried to search for some answers to this, but to no avail so I'll post a question instead. A friend of mine just got a mahogany Tele body that has a sealer coat on it. We're not sure exactly what kind of sealer it is. He wants to put a finish on it, but doesn't really have much means for a spray finish, so he was thinking a tung-oil finish. I have done some reading and found mixed information about "tung oil finish" actually being a varnish that will work fine over sealers, other sources said it wouldn't work. I'm used to using shellac as a sealer and finishing over the top of that, so I'm not sure what will work in this case of mystery sealer. If anyone here has any suggestions about a simple DIY finish that might work, we would really appreciate it!
    Thanks!

2. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Keith, I'd honestly go with a layer of shellac and they any top coat you want. Other wise try the tung oil in a cavity or on the back to see if it reacts to the current sealer.

Wipe on Polyurethane is a popular easy finish that looks good and is easy to apply.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.