Finishing My Mini Board: Overdrive Needed

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by heshan, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

Be careful with Lumpy's Tone Shop/Electric Majik. Make sure you can get a hold of Tommy via email before ordering, he was out of touch for a while and had trouble getting orders out last year. My JFET Overdrive took nearly 3 months (3 week lead time) and I never heard a word from him during that time. I know he has posted an update on his website explaining his situation so that's all good, but just check to make sure.

It's a 1-man show, and yes the Zep theme he has is just awesome. His Albion "range" of pedals is what you're after for high gain stuff, pretty sure they come in mini enclosures. My JFET is insanely high gain and I think it's pretty close to those Albion pedals (Marshall super lead preamp).

Good luck!

2. Kayle McGuire

Kayle McGuire Tele-Meister

Wampler Tumnus!! (Based off Klon)

3. heshan

heshan Tele-Meister

Well I'm not completely against Joyo/Mooer etc. But I have an OCD on my main board, along with a RAT so I'm kinda looking for different sounding pedals too. But I'll check out this Joyo (I think I have heard it, it sounded good if I remember right)

Thanks for the heads up! I will definitely do that if I think about going with one of his pedals. (EDIT: Already sent an email) The Albion and the Class A Overdrive look very interesting, and very different to what I already own on my main board. Affordable too

The Tumnus does look great. And of course my Tubescreamer mini isn't very similar, but I use the TS for a low-gain OD/boost, so I kinda have that covered

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  4. heshan

heshan Tele-Meister

Also, I'm curious. Is the MI Crunch Box still being made? I know it's not a mini pedal but I was considering it coz I remember it being fairly affordable, but I can't seem to find one new

5. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

TS are great for nearly-clean boosts, basically what they're designed for. Let me know if you go with Electric Majik and what your experience is like, the prices are insanely low for how immaculate the workmanship is, and unique concepts are always appreciated over here. I think the "7-series" used to be the "Lemon Drop" which I had my eye on a lot but never pulled the trigger since I was a broke college kid at the time. It's not as high gain though.

FWIW he often does holiday weekend sales, so if you can hold out several weeks and keep checking back to his website you might find an Easter special, or maybe Memorial day is more likely. They're often good for 20% off, I got my JFET OD over the weekend of the 4th.

6. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

I'll sell you my Greer Ghetto Stomp for cheap, but I don't think it's the kind of drive pedal you're looking for.

7. heshan

heshan Tele-Meister

@Sconnie thanks for the tip again. And yeah, the prices are great. I'm waiting for a reply to my email before I purchase one. I'm not really in a hurry, so if he gets back to me some time this week and it works out, I'll definitely go for one of his pedals. Otherwise, i've really been liking the sound of the Hungry Robot (HG) overdrive. It's over my budget and size, but I really like how it sounds

Btw, you wouldn't know of any demos of said pedals on youtube, would you? I'm having trouble finding a decent review. I found a 7 year old video where Burgs reviews the Jelly Roll (I think it's the same as the Class A) but that's about it

@screamin eagle I really like the sound of the Ghetto Stomp but I don't think it has enough gain for my purpose for this pedal. Thanks

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  8. Tornado

Tornado TDPRI Member

I like Ibanez tubescreamer mini. That little guy sounds better than his larger brothers in my opinion. A very nice overdrive pedal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.