Finishing My Mini Board: Overdrive Needed

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by heshan, Mar 13, 2018.

1. heshan

heshan Tele-Meister

Hey guys
    I've been collecting some mini pedals lately, and I'm planning on putting these together on a Pedaltrain Nano some time soon. I currently have a HOF Mini, Tubescreamer Mini, and a ZVex Fuzzolo, and I've got an Ibanez Ad Mini delay on the way. So that's delay, reverb, low-gain OD and fuzz covered. I'm looking for a higher gain overdrive to complete things, but I'm having some trouble finding the right mini overdrive.

I'm looking at the One Control Strawberry Red, or the Xotic SL Drive. I'm not convinced about the Strawberry, especially after reading a review which said it can be hard to dial in - and I'm not really looking for an amp-in-a-box so I'm not 100% sure about the SL Drive either.

Any other suggestions? I'm basically looking for an overdrive pedal that can go from low gain to fairly high, but I'm open to different types of overdrive (even amp-in-a-box types)

Not to be a snob or anything but I'm trying to avoid Chinese brands purely coz the rest of the effects are from more...respected (?) brands and I'd like to keep the entire board that way, so no Mooer or the like (for now, at least)

I might be able to fit in a regular-sized pedal in there too, even if it'll mess with my OCD about all the pedals being mini-sized, but I'm trying to keep the price of each pedal at $100 or less. I was looking at something like the DOD 250 or Red Llama clones from Chicago Stompworks but they don't have enough gain, from what I can tell

Anyway, look forward to hearing the replies on here, thanks!

2. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Srod is great. I didnt find i hard to dial in, it has a low/mid switch to adjust the eq a litle. But i did find that in higher overdrive settings i only used it with bridge pickup. It has a rather full and fat sound to it.

Never tried the exotic.

One controll has a bunch of od’s and distortions out now, and generaly i would say they are excellent pedals and its a shame they’re not better advertised.

You should try to research and listen on youtube to their heavier od’s or distortions, take a listen to Mike hermans.

Imo One Controll has the best mini pedals.

heshan likes this.
  3. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

I have the Xotic SL Drive. The controls are simple and the results are too: a great Marshall sound with no fizzy artefacts. Sounds great with single coils and humbuckers, including Gretsch Filter'Trons.

heshan and gkterry like this.
  4. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

heshan likes this.
  5. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Boss os-2. overdrive/distortion, use it for my high gain pedal at the end of my chain and the od is sweet anything from mild to wild in this pedal, you can flip the last knob from od to dist and have a crunch strait in to very sustaining lead.

Attached Files:

leonard d rock and heshan like this.
  6. heshan

heshan Tele-Meister

Thanks guys. the Strawberry Red is definitely on my list, and the youtube demos sound very nice indeed. The SL Drive does sound great too. I think they both cost around the same.

I'm also interested in the Pigtronix Disnortion Micro, which looks pretty unique. Just a bit turned off by some reviews (on sweetwater, musicians friend) who said their particular pedal was super noisy and kept 'squealing'

7. heshan

heshan Tele-Meister

Also stumbled upon a brand called Lumpy's Tone Shop (or now called Electric Majik) who seem to make some pretty cool mini pedals based on different amps. Pretty cheap too. Any more of these brands that I should know about? Googling 'mini overdrive pedals' really doesn't reveal as much as I had hoped!

8. Mr.Ike

Mr.Ike Tele-Meister

Saw recent review of Ibanez mini distortion pedal, and it sounded cool. No experience though.

heshan likes this.
  9. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've noticed that, too. Reverb.com made a handpicked list of mini pedals a while ago.

https://reverb.com/collection/mini-guitar-pedals

The SL Drive is a great overdrive/distortion, it is pretty mid-heavy like a TS. Not scooped.

Also, I own almost all the pedals you have listed coincidentally. TS, HOF, Fuzzolo, and the SL Drive.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    heshan likes this.
  10. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Holic

Tone City Golden Plexi, Mooer Cruncher and Mooer Black Secret would normally be worth considering.

I know you said you don't want Chinese pedals. But you also said you're trying to keep it under $100. It might be tricky to do both.

11. ValDiaz

ValDiaz Tele-Holic

You can pick up an SL drive for under 100 used (in the US anyway). It's a solid pedal & fits the hi-gain bracket for sure.

12. heshan

heshan Tele-Meister

Thanks! I'll have a look through those. Wonder how the TS mini would sound stacked with the SL Drive. And the Fuzzolo is pretty amazing, isn't it? I can't stop playing it

Yeah I know, haha. But I managed to get some of my other mini pedals for $70-80 and even the Fuzzolo for $100. I'll have a listen to some youtube demos on the ones you've mentioned :) Thanks!

Looks like a lot of love for the SL Drive! Strongly considering that at the moment. If there's any suggestions, please keep 'em coming!

13. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Holic

Donner Morpher, cheap mini Suhr Riot/Marshall Crunchbox flavored pedal. Med/high gain. Cheap

14. heshan

heshan Tele-Meister

Will check out the Donner, thanks

Anyone here familiar with EWS pedals? The Little Fuzzy Drive seems to be more of a fuzz, but the Little Brute sounds pretty cool

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  15. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

The outlaw pedal, I suppose. Me, I’d go with a ZVEX Distortron, though it may not fit your definition of “mini.”

16. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Prob a mini ts9 or tumnus or sl ..keep it all small

17. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

A RAT would go great with the TS so, the Mooer Black Secret would be a great choice.

hongaku likes this.
  18. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

I have the Red Llama Chicago Stomp Works pedal and it’s great. They make great pedals. I have 5 different boards all kinda different with fuzz or distortion. Can’t go wrong with a Soul Food, I use a DOD 250 as well. My friend says the JHS Angry Charlie is great as well.

19. heshan

heshan Tele-Meister

Thanks guys. The Outlaw effects look pretty interesting, cheap too. I already have a RAT on my main board so I was maybe thinking of getting one that sounds different on this board. I've been looking at the Chicago Stompworks Red Llama and 250 OD as well. Just wondering if both of these have enough gain. I cant find demos for the Chicago stompworks versions of these pedals, but listening to demos of the Way Huge and DOD pedals, people tend to play them into dirty amps, which I sometimes do, but I usually go into a clean amp

The Hungry Robot overdrive also sounded great, rather unique, and the size looks to me something in between a regular and mini pedal. Or maybe the oversized knobs make it look smaller than it is

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  20. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Shame. I was gonna suggest the Joyo Ultimate Drive (Fulltone OCD clone); it's true bypass and you can grab a new one for < $40.

Check it out:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.