Finishing a bound body

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by camilonavarro27, Feb 24, 2021.

1. camilonavarro27

camilonavarro27 TDPRI Member

So I’m sure this has been answered before, but I’m planning on getting an unfinished double bound body for my next project. I was wondering is I’m supposed to lacquer over the binding or not. I’m sure I’ll have to tape it up when applying the color coats, but what about the finishing lacquer coats?

I’m fairly new to partscasters and diy guitars so any advice would be extremely helpful and appreciated. Thanks!

Camilo N.

2. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Afflicted

You can tape it off some, but the edges are usually scrapped after the color coats. After that it gets clear coated with the rest

1:40 here ...

It takes practice and I haven't practiced near enough.

Fretting out and camilonavarro27 like this.
  3. dpang2836

dpang2836 Tele-Meister

Yes, Scraping is tough! Might do some damage. I like to Tape. If you can get 1/4" Tape, it is easier. Make sure you see just a hint of Binding, or you will see a void of the color. 0000 steel wool off any excess. Try not to expand removal, over the binding. I have used a piece of sandpaper also.

camilonavarro27 likes this.
  4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

This has just been discussed on several recent threads but I'll go over it again. I mask the tall sides of binding with 1/4 pin strip masking tape (auto parts store) and do any staining or color coats. On wood binding I paint a couple of coats of vinyl sealer on the short top part of the binding with an artists brush, for plastic binding just leave it. Follow the recommendations for the wood you have whether it needs pore filling or not. Seal as required and spray any color coats right over the binding.

When the color has dried pull the masking tape taking care to pull it away from the paint seam. If it seams to be lifting the color you might want to score with a razor blade. Scrape the short edge of the binding and clean up any color that snuck under the tape with a sharp blade. You will end up with a little ledge between the color and the binding, that is OK and will get blended when you spray your clear.

Do the clear as normal right over binding and everything, the ledge should go away with enough coats. Let dry, wet sand and buff as usual.

Bound guitar body taped off. This is a set neck guitar so the neck if finished on it, with a screw on neck you do them separate

IMG_3359.JPG

Color going on, you can see the masking tape

IMG_3366.JPG

Scrape any color that got on the binding

IMG_3371.JPG

Tip the blade at 45 degrees or so and scrape the short top edge of the binding

IMG_3372.JPG

Shoot the clear right over the binding, wet sand and buff

IMG_3392.JPG

5. camilonavarro27

Thanks! I’ll be sure to try it out

6. camilonavarro27

Scraping seems like a pain in the ass, but thanks for the insight. I’ll be sure to follow your advice. And thanks for summarizing what could’ve been a rather long discussion!

7. camilonavarro27

Yeah seems like a lot of work, hopefully it comes out well. Thanks!

8. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Scraping might be a pain in the ass but that is the traditional way it has been done at the Gibson factory.

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

If you set up the razor blade carefully (some folks make a little wooden handle/guide that limits how far the blade can stick out and holds it at the right angle), scraping is not too stressful and it's gratifying to get that perfect crisp line. ;-)
    [​IMG]

10. camilonavarro27

Seems a bit excessive, but not a bad idea. I’ll probably end up trying something similar lol

11. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

It's totally worth fashioning little tools and jigs that help you prevent screw-ups! Don't ask me how I know. :oops:

That one's really simple to make: cut a piece of dowel, saw a slot in the end, drill a hole through it perpendicular to the slot. A bolt and a wing nut and a blade and you got it.

camilonavarro27 and bender66 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.