Finishes For Very Plain Electric Tops. When Trans and Dyes aren't An Option. Existing Favorites. Wished For.

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
Some guitars are made of, or topped, with woods you very much want the world to see. In these cases you go for transparent, dyes, or clear coat. Other woods sound fantastic but don't impress with their looks. This is where solid, metallic, candy and flake finishes become the go to choice. In my case I always use "gloss". I'm not big on satin finishes with the exception of the neck. My very, very favorite finish for this threads discussion is Candy Tangerine. I've loved it forever and it's getting darn hard to find. My other favorites include Black, Vintage White, Graffiti Yellow, Dark Night, Texas Tea, Aubergine and Aged Candy Apple Red. I have two wishes for finishes of this type. A solid rich true purple, like Royal Purple or "Caesars" Purple and a rich deep "Hunter Green". I painted our dining room Hunter Green and then hung Gold framed art on the walls. I was freaked by how great Hunter Green and Gold worked together. It made me think what an electric guitar with a solid Hunter Green finish and Gold hardware would look like. I think it would look killer.

So what are your favorite finishes of this type currently available and what would your wished for finishes be?

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity
I really like the Duplicolor Avignon Blue, even though I'm generally not a fan of blue guitars.
Next time I use it I won't put a clear topcoat over it though. When that yellows the brilliant blue just looks nasty green.

O- Fender

Friend of Leo's
A couple of days ago I was walking through a big box hardware store and saw a rattle can of purple glitter and decided it would look good on a guitar.
I thought it might be a bit fancy for my taste but... I can't stop thinking about it .