Finished with GC for good this time

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Beachbum, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Cameage, for what ever reason you have decided to turn our discussions into a debate. Since you’ve chosen to do that you should be aware that debate is both an art and a science. It is an art because those who are good at it have a talent for it. It is a science because it requires the ability to do critical thinking, untainted data collection, and unbiased analysis. So far you have been unable or unwilling to do any of the above.

Since there is really nothing all that important at stake here I will be altruistic. I have put our conversations together in one place and in sequence in order to help aid you in your efforts at developing better communication and debate skills.

All of the following are direct quotes with corresponding observations.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

CAMEAGE - You weren't asking them to give a little to get a lot, you were asking them to give you fifteen hundred dollars for a guitar they obviously planned to sell for nine hundred or so, and then got all butthurt when they didn't think it was a great deal.

BEACHBUM - Also, you will find that I never offered GC anything since they made it clear they weren't interested in negotiating the transaction stopped the moment they made their initial offer to me.

OBSERVATION ^
    At this point my response should have cleared up your confusion about your contention that I asked GC for $1500.00. My response to you here was simple, concise, and irrefutable.

CAMEAGE - Therefore, you wanted Guitar Center to give you $1500 for a guitar they were going to try to sell for about a thousand. Show me where you said what amount you'd have taken from Guitar Center specifically, because I didn't see that anywhere in all three pages of this thread. Maybe I missed it. That's the only number that would mess my math up.

OBSERVATION ^
    Despite the fact that in the previous posting I quoted myself in writing you still for some unfathomable reason aren’t getting it. So, once again let me try to get this through to you . I made no $ counter offer to GC or any other form of counter offer for that matter.

BEACHBUM - The upside is that there was a customer standing around watching while all of this was going on who stopped me on my way out the door and said that he did business with a collector who might be interested. He asked me how much I wanted and I told him $1500. He said to send him some pics and he would present the offer.

CAMEAGE - You wanted about $1500.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    OBSERVATION ^
    Cameage, this one constitutes my 3rd attempt at trying to help you understand the obvious and apparent and is what I’m talking about when I say that your urge to make your point is interfering with your ability to track, comprehend and do critical thinking. Since you have currently lost that ability I’ll do it for you.

1. My offer was made to an independent agent of a collector who approached me when I was about to leave GC. It had absolutely nothing to do with GC what so ever.

2. The offer I made to that independent agent was for a strait sale not a trade in. Therefore it also has nothing to do with the GC trade in policy discussions we have been having on this thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Given all of the above you probably are not aware that I had decided to sign off of this overdone thread a number of postings back. If you are aware then shame on you for dragging this on without doing your own proper due diligence before posting. The only reason I am responding to you now is that I would rather not have my thread end with blatant inaccuracies. But, frankly the effort it has required to help you with your cognitive issues has become both frustrating and tiring. Please - in your future postings try to make that effort yourself.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  2. inanevoyage

inanevoyage TDPRI Member

tl;dr:

3. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

^Nonsense. God, another one.

4. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

Actually, that's evidence you weren't interested in negotiating.

Funny, I've always found in negotiating, both parties tend to lead with the offer that suits them best. Seems you were the one that wasn't interested in negotiating, as you just walked away. But then, I assume you do a lot of walking, because if this is your reaction to an initial offer, you've never been car shopping. :lol:

5. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

And another one. Try to read and comprehend. GC said that their offer was non negotiable not me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

FROM THE POST YOU JUST RESPONDED TO

BEACHBUM - Also, you will find that I never offered GC anything since (THEY) made it clear they weren't interested in negotiating the transaction stopped the moment they made their initial offer to me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

OBSERVATION

Do you guys live in the same dorm?

6. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

After rereading your initial post, yet again, you never say they said it was non-negotiable, just that he couldn't offer you more than $500. That doesn't necessarily mean non-negotiable, and you never used that phrase in the post. And I'm the one with the reading comprehension problem?

Once again, you don't seem to have a very good understanding of how negotiating works. In many situations, I've been told this is the best price someone could give me, and in the majority of those situations, it turned out it wasn't.

7. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

You are being facetious and grasping at straws in making the assertion that because it is not mentioned in my e-mail to that manager that it didn't happen. In fact all that means is that I did not mention it to him. However, I did say it to the readers of this thread in a later post. But, then you know that because you just quoted it back to me (with a confused interpretation) in your last post. Do me and yourself a favor. Once you've stepped in it try not to act like you didn't.

8. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Debating?

If one is very good at debating a silly view, one is still debating a silly viewpoint.

I was on a debate team in college. To hone our debating skills the teacher/coach would often give two teams a silly debate topic just to hone our mechanical debate skills. I remember arguing that the moon was made of green cheese while the other team had to argue that the moon was made of chewing gum.

One team won. The premise was silly. Debate all day....they don't want your trade. There are sound business reasons why they just don't want to pay more than $500 for your old stuff.

The ethos that I'm getting from Beach Bum is a sense of entitlement. The big company could easily swing him an unusual deal because they are a big company. He didn't get a "gimmee" from the man and he's all ticked off.

It's not ok to feel entitled from a big company just like it's not ok to think that the guy on the corner with a hot dog stand owes you something. Fair is fair. Be fair to everyone.

You know what I did this afternoon? I packed three guitars up for FedEx. I used my time and the Internet and I sold three guitars this week. Bought two kayaks for the kids and I'm buying a Martin 00015M this coming week. Did some house cleaning. Made it happen. Shot the photos, posted pics and descriptions......it all took about an hour. It was fun.

(The bellyaching doesn't work for me). I was truly trying to help when I posted the info about trades and retail. This is starting to remind me of the cartoon where a guy is just sitting on a chair with the caption......"Why doesn't somebody do something?"

9. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

BeachBum,

Tell that guy at GC that you are listing several things on eBay and you would appreciate some boxes. Tell you that might be back with money. The guy will load your car with corrugated. He pays big money to have that corrugated baled and hauled away.

Make it happen. Good luck. You can do it.

10. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

No, not being facetious.

Facetious: Treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor.

So, my saying that may not have been their hard, final offer is "facetious" is ridiculous. Where's the deliberately inappropriate humor in that?

11. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Have you ever had an argument with your wife or for that matter anyone that you care about over some trivial issue and suddenly come to realize that what you are angry about goes much deeper. What I've come to realize through the course of these discussions is that I've been venting over two totally different issues. The first being the trivial incident with GC about my proposed trade and the second being my abiding animosity toward "big box" businesses who have funneled the resources of local communities into the hands of the few. I've already covered that in length so I will belabor it no farther. The incident itself and the perceived insult were minor yet my reaction was major. Because, just like an argument with ones wife can lead to a complete and permanent break a disagreement over a guitar can do the same. Why? Because it is the proverbial "straw that broke the camels back" over a much deeper and fundamental issue.

I know that some of my responses have been snotty and condescending but that is my defense mechanism when I feel that I am under unjustified attack.

As long as the attacks are unjustified then I feel that snotty and condescernding is justified as well.

But entitled? Nah. That's not me. What I am is convinced that "big box" and its effects on our economy are simply a bad and destructive thing.

12. gpasq

gpasq Friend of Leo's

After all of this drama, what'd "The Collector" offer you for the guitar?

13. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

See what I was saying? There we go with the unjustified attacks again. Now I've got to be snotty and condescending in my own defense.

OK. I'm glad you looked it up. I'll give you that one. Let's just say that you weren't being facetious but rather opportunistic and misleading.

But, it's a good thing. See how you are working harder at it now.

14. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Sent him the pics this morning. Still waiting for reply.

15. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

Really? Simply claiming you're wrong about my post being facetious and correcting you is an attack?

Here's what I wrote:

That's a pretty low threshold there if that is such an attack and much lower than your post above in terms of being personal.

Anyway, let's revisit:

Now there is your claim that GC is lowballing you.

So let's say $500 was their final offer...

I know this has been brought up before, but since apparently I'm the one being accused of making stuff up I'll just put some facts out there:

http://www.google.com/search?q=1983...f.,cf.osb&fp=295f825c10b1ae6&biw=1680&bih=946

5 of the 6 available '83 Strats at Guitar Center are less than $1000 (less than $900, actually). One is $1199, so it's not that far off. They offered you more than 50%, for all intents and purposes.

If we eliminate all but the $1199 one, they still offered you more than 40%, not less than 30%. 30% would have been $360.

If we take any of the other five, the $500 offer was more than 50%.

They weren't going lower than policy. If anything, they went higher.

But you are putting it out there that you were offered less than 30%. Less than 30% of what you wanted, yes, but not less than 30% than what they likely will sell it for, and what their policy is. They were more than in the ballpark.

I hope you get want you want for the guitar from someone, but GC was being more than fair, if you go by the prices on the ones they have in inventory. I'm sorry they couldn't give you more, but as has been said, they are running a business.

*Sorry, the $1199 was Haight Ashbury Music. So, the mistake proves the point concerning GC even more. Their highest price was $899*

16. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I would like to know when an 83 strat became known as "vintage".

17. Tred

Tred Tele-Afflicted

I got a Godin LGXT at GC in SEATAC, WA for $700.00, back in 2005. Yeah, it was used, but have you seen what these go for used? Google it. I did alright, and was quite the happy camper. BUT, I dont always go to GC... Good luck with your transactions.

Attached Files:

18. Drunkinminer

Drunkinminer Tele-Holic

I never read the whole thread but why not just sell it your self. Why take it to a shop chain or Mom/Pop. You won't get what it's worth. If you want to get the most of what it's worth then that's what you'll have to do.

19. KDAD

KDAD Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

It's too bad that you didn't buy a new '62 Reissue Strat back then...that would have been worth someting now

20. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

mispost

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.