Finished two builds / The learning continues

natec

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I wrapped up a couple of builds in the last two weeks and thought I'd post them here, along with some things I'm still learning along the way. For both of these, I started with one or more chunks of wood and did all the cutting, routing, sanding, prep, and finish. I didn't make the necks, so they are intentionally not in the pictures (fwiw - I bought both from Warmoth).

First up is a two tone burst cabronita. Electronics are from Emerson, just a simple volume and three way switch. Pickups are stock Gretsch which I picked up used. Finish is stewmac colortone aersol nitro lacquer. Amber and Cherry Red. As I look at it I can see several places where the coverage is uneven and/or where the red edges are asymetrical. From 20' away it looks great. Body is a 3 piece Ash that I found locally and is crazy light (total guitar assembled is barely 6 lbs). I installed a brass 'tone block' incorrectly thinking that might be easier to route, compared to drilling 6 holes in a perfectly straight line (I was wrong).
Cab front.jpg
Cab back.jpg

Second up is an esquire, and my first attempt at binding. I bought the two piece body blank online, it was advertised as Ambroisia maple, but it only had a minor amount of figure. It was also very heavy. I planed it down to 1-1/2", and then removed quite a bit of material with a forstner bit, then topped it with a 1/4" piece of Koa. Pickup is a bootstrap standard. Emerson loaded control plate, eldred wiring. Tried the brass tone block again (I won't be buying any more). Finish is again stewmac aersol nitro. Amber on the back and sides, satin on the front.

Esq front.jpg

Esq back.jpg

FatKnife

Tele-Meister
I wrapped up a couple of builds in the last two weeks and thought I'd post them here, along with some things I'm still learning along the way. For both of these, I started with one or more chunks of wood and did all the cutting, routing, sanding, prep, and finish. I didn't make the necks, so they are intentionally not in the pictures (fwiw - I bought both from Warmoth).

First up is a two tone burst cabronita. Electronics are from Emerson, just a simple volume and three way switch. Pickups are stock Gretsch which I picked up used. Finish is stewmac colortone aersol nitro lacquer. Amber and Cherry Red. As I look at it I can see several places where the coverage is uneven and/or where the red edges are asymetrical. From 20' away it looks great. Body is a 3 piece Ash that I found locally and is crazy light (total guitar assembled is barely 6 lbs). I installed a brass 'tone block' incorrectly thinking that might be easier to route, compared to drilling 6 holes in a perfectly straight line (I was wrong). View attachment 1005607 View attachment 1005608

Second up is an esquire, and my first attempt at binding. I bought the two piece body blank online, it was advertised as Ambroisia maple, but it only had a minor amount of figure. It was also very heavy. I planed it down to 1-1/2", and then removed quite a bit of material with a forstner bit, then topped it with a 1/4" piece of Koa. Pickup is a bootstrap standard. Emerson loaded control plate, eldred wiring. Tried the brass tone block again (I won't be buying any more). Finish is again stewmac aersol nitro. Amber on the back and sides, satin on the front.

View attachment 1005609

View attachment 1005610
Very nicely done.

Yonatan

Tele-Holic
Beautiful!

I generally prefer single coils, but a while back I picked up a pair of Roswell Filtertrons out of curiosity and tried them out briefly on whatever build I was working on at the time, and they sounded great! At which point I concluded that I need to build a cabronita, but then of course I got distracted by other builds.

Bongoslade

Tele-Meister
really nice man...! - i have yet to build my own Tele - your guitars there, are something for me to shoot at - i love RED guitars btw - and the binding - oh YEA...!!!