1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Finished Project 5F1M

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Jtmart, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Jtmart

Jtmart TDPRI Member

I finished and housed my Champ Micro this last weekend but I wanted to play through it for a few days before giving my thoughts.

I’m very happy with with this little amp, I built a 5E3 about six years ago and loved it but it’s just too freaking LOUD! The sweet spot rattled the windows! So, I’d been looking for a a quieter alternative and the 5F1 was still too loud but nobody had a 1 watt kit they were still stocking, then I came across the Champ Micro on Rob’s page and decided it was worth the chance. When I first fired up the little circuit I was pleased to hear that familiar tubey goodness oozing out of the borrowed 12” speaker in my 5E3 combo!

After a little help from you guys to work out an irritating buzz I was satisfied enough to know it warranted its own cabinet. I had some walnut that had been in my shop for a couple years waiting on a special project and I found some really cool fabric that just screamed grill cloth. So now I’m happy with the amp AND the cabinet!

On to the sound! I went to a 10” speaker to tighten up the bottom just a bit and it did. It’s a Jensen MOD 10/35, a cheaper speaker but I’ve had good results from them in the past, I can always upgrade. With both volumes at noon (or slightly above) I get a very nice clean tone, clean without breakup. From there you move on to sweet breakup and noticeably more volume. On the bridge pu not much breakup but a grittier tone and the neck PU is breaking up pretty easily. This is what I’m going for most of the time and it’s great! Volume is nice in the room but barely noticeable in the rest of the house, Yesss! With the master at 2:00 and the volume at 3 or 4 you’re getting really good drive tone from the bridge and the neck is getting very thick. Maxed out on both volumes is actually too loud for bedroom settings and starting to get very overdriven. This is where a lot guys are happiest I think but I’m usually looking for edge of breakup, touch sensitive grit and this little guy does that pretty well. I’ve been living with solid state the last few years because, up til now, tube amps were just too loud. I’m happily back in tubeville and while the SS’s had all the built in effects I have plenty of pedals and this little amp takes them really well.

Maybe one of these days I’ll get brave enough to make a demo!

8356390F-1C6D-4A58-840D-67BAEFE05FD1.jpeg C1675963-0BFF-44EE-9CC3-66C131F30830.jpeg 22B4A93D-D90C-472C-9B43-E5CC3E9FDF80.jpeg 92A2EC64-D8E4-4E68-86DA-91C3CEC54FBA.jpeg

2. dlaroe

dlaroe Tele-Meister

That is one heck of a nice looking amp!

Jtmart likes this.
  3. Theorage

Theorage Tele-Meister

Nice work! -- Pleased to hear your story, as this project is on my list for Someday. Presently, I'm building louder amps :cool:

Jtmart likes this.
  4. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

Nice work. I am intrigued by these micro amps, and I have a bunch of 12Au7 from organ pulls. Probably be my next build.

Jtmart likes this.
  5. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Holic

Looks great - very stylish cabinet!

Jtmart likes this.
  6. James Knox

James Knox Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Very nice job - Love the cab and grill. Great report!

Jtmart likes this.
  7. screefer

screefer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Inspiring!
    Thanks

Jtmart likes this.
  8. Jtmart

Jtmart TDPRI Member

Well I went ahead and did a short demo, even though my playing is crap but it gives you an idea of how it sounds. I tried to do different styles so it’s not all just hammering the strings.

9. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the demo
    Great sound
    Cheers Ron

Jtmart likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.