1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Finished my Supro style build!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by ragamuffin, Jan 15, 2021.

1. ragamuffin

ragamuffin TDPRI Member

For the past couple months I've been working on a build based on the Supro Dualtone

I've built several partscasters, but this is the first time that I made the body from scratch and my first spray finish!

The body shape is based on the Supro Dualtone. The wood is poplar because it was cheap and readily available, but interestingly I've read that Supro sometimes used poplar on certain guitars. The finish I did with Duplicolor color cans and Spraymax 2K poly clearcoat. I was going for the look of Fender's mercury finish, but ended up with a much wider burst pattern.

The pickups are Supro vistatones (one from Supro, and one from Roadhouse pickups), which despite the look are not humbuckers, but a unique single coil design that's closer to a p90. The knobs are volume, treble, and bass cut as found on certain Reverend and G&L guitars. Hipshot bridge and locking tuners.

The neck is from Warmoth; modern construction, bloodwood with an ebony fretboard and block inlays, 1 11/16 tusq nut, compound radius, SS frets, 59' roundback profile. The 59' shape is really comfy!

She's a heavy one weighing in at just over 10lbs, but has very good sustain/resonance. The tone is nice and fat and has p90-like growl/bite but also has strat-like sparkle/brightness to it. I'll have to fiddle with adjusting the pickups to find where they sound best.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    paulmarr, 87Lion, RodeoTex and 15 others like this.
  2. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nice! Enjoy!

crazydave911 and ragamuffin like this.
  3. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Nice guitar man. Is the neck heavy by itself? 10 pounds seems a bit heavy for a poplar body but I have heavier LP's. I like it.

4. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Impressive. The body came out great.

5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I went through a Supro phase and have owned a number of vintage Dual tones and other models. They are great looking guitars, but I found them awkward to play. The necks are held on with one bolt and one tilt adjuster. The pickups are nice. I have a couple here and plan a Dual toneish build myself again.

I did build a "Cooltone" years ago. The playability with a modern neck and bridge really makes a difference. I still have a dualtone body and some parts here along with a few Supro guitars that are interesting. I have the little pocket bass and the amp in case model as well as one of the semi hollows.

I even bought a reso glass body when they were for sale on ebay....still waiting.

6. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

A Pocket Bass? How INTERESTING :D

Nice job guy :)

ragamuffin likes this.
  7. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

Bravo to Ragamuffin that’s one fine guitar.

8. guitarbuilder

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. crazydave911

guitarbuilder likes this.
  10. guitarbuilder

24.75 I think.

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted

It's really nice, the design works with the paint and the hardware, I think it really "ties the room together", nice job!

ragamuffin likes this.
  12. ragamuffin

ragamuffin TDPRI Member

Thanks guys for all the kind words! I'm really happy with how it came out

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. ragamuffin

ragamuffin TDPRI Member

The neck is a little on the heavy side, it's got a double truss rod and the wood is probably a little heavier than maple, but I think a lot of the heft comes from the body, not sure why it's so heavy.

crazydave911 likes this.
  14. nnieman

nnieman Tele-Meister

It looks great!
    I’ve owned two vintage Supros and they both poplar bodies.
    For some reason I don’t own either of them... I might have to remedy that.

Nathan

ragamuffin and crazydave911 like this.
  15. ragamuffin

ragamuffin TDPRI Member

So I hadn't had much time to sit down and play this guitar until today. Today I had the time gave it a full/proper setup and put her through the paces and wow, I'm really digging it!

The Vistatone pickups have a great sound! They're very fat, and have more output than I expected without sounding overwound or congested. They have a very "vocal" midrange and go from polite when played soft to growling when pushed. Lots of p90-like qualities, but they also have that great glassy clarity of Fender single coils, the bridge position even has a bit of tele twang. Compared to the Supro reissue "gold foils" (which are the Supro Cleartone design) they have a little less juicy roundness and a more aggressive bite.

The neck on this guitar might be the new favorite of the Warmoth necks that I own, for three reasons really:
    1. The bloodwood shaft is wicked dense and smooth, and just feels richer with just a tad bit of waxy-ness compared to the drier feel of roasted maple. Definitely not as waxy goncalo or wenge though.
    2. I've gotten to where I love the 59' roundback profile. Having played a standard thin for a long time, the 59' seemed a little too fat at first; now it feels comfy and just right in my hand. I don't think I'll ever order a profile other than the 59' again!
    3. The frets on this neck are just about as perfect as you can get without having a pro fret level. I just cleaned up the fret ends a bit and polished them and they're just about perfect. I was able to get the action very low and it's playing so good that I can't believe it's not butter!

One thing that I don't love about this build is the weight... It's not ridiculously heavy, but it's definitely noticeable. The poplar that I used for the body was very heavy for some reason, and combine that with a heavy neck and hardware and you get a heavy guitar. Oh well, I still love her!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    nnieman and crazydave911 like this.
  16. crazydave911

Hmmm, heavy poplar? :confused:

ragamuffin likes this.
  17. ragamuffin

ragamuffin TDPRI Member

Right? Part of me wonders if it was just a particularly ugly piece of maple lol

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.