Finished My New Tele Project (Experiment)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by tdowns, May 12, 2005.

Tags:
  1. tdowns

tdowns Former Member

Johnny,
    Thanks my friend. I assumed you would reply to this, so that first little solo/rif was just for you (the acoustic version played on electric).

Redd,
    Thanks for the kind words. We could just imagine what the blue Tele might sound if you got a hold of it. But your hands could make bailing wire on a 2x4 sound good. :lol:

Zane,
    I sent this to Buddy Whittington, but he just replied with a smart alec comment about my nulls in the spectrum. I'll get him back next time we pick together. Thanks for the comments. I figured if the neck PU had no visible screws, then the middle shouldn't either. It's more work when cutting the pickguard, but what the heck. I had no deadline.

Fuzzy,
    Thanks a bunch for the reply. I just put those See-more Dunkins in right out of the box. I've never even thought about checking the magnetic polarity of the pole pieces. Now you got me thinkin'. Do you use one of those StewMac polarity checkers?? Tell us more about your spear-mints. I posted a pic of the headstock just for you!!!

J-man and kerc,
    Thanks so much for the comments.

kickz28,
    I read thru posts and miss stuff like that when I don't work overtime!! I have a Line 6 POD as part of my computer, so I can record very easy. I'm not really set up to record thru an amp in my computer room, but I have before. The Line 6 ain't no Fender tube amp, but it is an amazing box. I just dialed up a black face amp, 2x12 cabinet, and a little reverb. I use N-tracks software to record. Thanks for asking.

It sure is fun messing around with Telecasters.

2. tdowns

tdowns Former Member

I finally got around to making the response plots to show the difference in the slant vs. no slant. I thought some of you might find it interesting. Please excuse the image quality as I'm limited to 500 pixels.

Here is the treble E string (slant not effected)

[​IMG]

The A string with no slant. Notice sharp nulls in the 1 to 2 kHz range.

[​IMG]

The A string with the slant. Notice the region between 1 and 2 kHz scooped out even more. More quack. This scoop out is accomplished by not only by the spacing, but the slightly reduced relative amplitude of the middle pickup.
    [​IMG]

3. reverbbb

reverbbb Friend of Leo's

Terry:

You are gonna have to explain what those graphs mean. I see the data, but I am not connecting with what that means and what are the parameters.

BTW, I enjoyed your pickin' Sunday night - great as usual. It was funny to watch Buddy asking you "what was that lick you just did".

I want to know when you gonna sell me the blue Tele?

4. 0le FUZZY

0le FUZZY Former Member

<li>Terry, jes slap them tew duck pluckers together face tew face if they suck then they are opposite poles if they push apart then they are the same.
    <li>I use my liddo mag-a-nute tweaker tew check all P/Us
    [​IMG]

<li>Yew kin use a frige-er-rater-terd mag-a-nute tew but yew haff ta check with the same side. Yew kant tell North from South but yew kin tell suck from push.
    <li>Beleeb me it dew maka difference specially onna TELECASTER.
    <li>Yew kin haff the same coil wind direction but iffin yer mag-a-nutes are backerds from won an nutter yew kin and will hear it. Sortta the same outta faze sound as haffin the coils wound backerds from won an udder.
    <li>In the case of Strat-Quack backerds mag-a-nutes will enhance (?) the Quack sumthin fearce. Course thats jes from my spear-mintin and jes MHO.
    <li>I tried tew foller them graffs but its all Greek tew me HEE! HEE! (knott really).

0le FUZZY

5. Dana

Dana Friend of Leo's

Terry, do you need any special plugins or programs to do this? I'd like to know how to record from my Pod into my computer. Any details you can provide would be very helpful. Thank you.

Dana

6. Marshall Thinline

Marshall Thinline Tele-Holic

Terry,
    Posts like this make my day!!!!! Great info.

Great job!!!!

7. tdowns

tdowns Former Member

Well Reverbbb,
    Thanks for diggin up this post, and thanks for coming out to hear our noise at the gig.

Those plots are just spectral plots from an analysis tool I use to show how the frequency response varies with pickup spacing and relative amplitude. The X axis is frequency, and the Y axis is amplitude. This is just like looking at a frequency response plot of a mic or speaker except mics and speakers are basically flat...well not really flat, but they don't have big nulls in the response like mixed pickups do.

When you place two pickups near a vibrating string spaced apart by some wavelength you get cancellations at certain frequencies and additions at other frequencies. Notice the response has bumps and nulls. The response is what is responsible for the quacky sound of two pickups mixed together.

Can I tell if it is going to sound good by the plots? Heck no. Can I tell how big the effect of mid reduction is at a specific null? Yes, pretty much. The nulls in the comb (looks like a hair comb) response are not near as noticeable as when several collide out of phase and result in a big cutout in the frequency response.

The parameters for input is the note frequency, scale length, relative amplitude of each pickup, and the effective pickup flux pattern width.

I could never get a Tele to quack like a Strat. I was always interested in the difference in slant of the bridge PU of a Tele vs. a Strat. So, in this case I just slanted the middle PU so that the pole piece to pole piece spacing is very close to the Strat. It is not exactly right since their absolute spacing from the bridge is a little different.

I "believe" this Tele quacks better in part because of the Seymour Duncan pickups are somewhat matched in polarity.

I got a lot of variation out of this guitar by using the switch to change the middle PU from series to parallel wiring.

Fuzzy explains how the polarity of the magnets matter. Sometime electrical polararity or magnetic polarity reversals take out too much of the spectrum leaving you with an non-workable amplitude loss. This may work in a studio environment, but on stage switching from a single pickup to two pickups out of phase results in a big volume drop. Sounds cool though. Some companies sell fancy little polarity checkers that have a magnet in a glass that flops one way or the other with each side labeled North or South. Fuzzy used the most practical approach, a simple everyday screwdriver with a magnet. It sucks or pushes!!! Brilliant. Thanks for you contribution to the post Fuzzy. I'd love to revers the magnets on that middle pickup to see what happens, but I'm concerned that I would damage the windings...besides I like it the way it is.

Dana,
    I apologize for the recording through the POD, but it is just so darn easy. I just took a thin 1/4" geetar cord and cut off one end. I installed a 1/8" stereo mini plug on the other end and connected to signal wire to the TIP and RING of the 1/8" stereo mini plug. This connects your POD mono output to the both L & R inputs of the sound card. I just plug directly into the sound card. My recording software only records one track at a time (N-Tracks software is what I use). If you don't need multi-track stuff, you can just use the Windows sound recorder. It ain't a mic'd Deluxe or Vibroverb, but it works pretty darn well for what I'm doing.

And Reverbbb, I'm not sure I would sell it. It is my favorite right now.

Marshall Thinline,
    Well thank you very much. This forum makes many of my days better because of all these fine folks that love Teles. Thanks.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Shazamm!

Terry, thanks for referring to this thread. As a newcomer, I'd never seen it before and it is great, I must say.

I've got a couple of questions, if I may:

1) Did Seymour Duncan offer a 'Nashville' set at that time with the middle pup RWRP towards the other two, or did you leave the neck and bridge RWRP towards each other to noise cancel, then blend the middle in ala Brent Mason?

2) I think I see where you used a Am Se body and hiked the plate forward rather than drill 6 new holes. How well did that work, in terms of saddle function and pickup fit, I mean, did you have to rout out a tad in the front of the bridge pup rout?

Much obliged.

9. robrohdeszudy

robrohdeszudy Tele-Meister

Hey Terry, a minor suggestion - including a centerline on that geometry pdf would make it easier to tape it to your awesome full-size drawing to make a router template. (E.g. using the bridge pup holes to fasten the template.)

Thanks for the awesome engineerin'!

--Rob

10. tdowns

tdowns Former Member

I didn't notice this post was bumped and didn't get a notification. I have been looking here as much lately because I have been busy.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  11. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Brought back to life almost 3 years old!

Thats one good thing about this software as compared to the original old software. All the thousands of good info and messages were lost from the old days wish there was a way to save everything thats ever been typed here since it started over 10 years ago.

12. Moggl

Moggl Tele-Afflicted

13. Elliot Easton

Elliot Easton Tele-Holic

Nice pickin', Terry-love the Reggie Young 'Drift Away' lick!

14. axmaker

axmaker Tele-Holic

....always had a soft spot for blue guitars, sounds great too......:D

15. mannydingo

mannydingo TDPRI Member

Me too

And now it's my turn to bring this one back and boy what a time lapse it is this time. Last post was 8 years ago. I hate slanted pickups due to sound and looks. On top of that, blue is my favorite color on guitars. I do dislike pickguards and this one probably has one but, hey, it's close.

I can't see pictures of the guitar on the thread or by clicking on the links. Can someone post the pictures right here instead of from some other site? Doing that would have the pictures never expire.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.