Finished my first Partscaster (Jazzmaster Style)

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by decibel, Jan 8, 2019.

1. decibel

decibel TDPRI Member

Hey guys. Just wanted to say thanks for help along the way with the few issues that came up. Here is the finished JM I made some threads about last month.

This was my first build, and I did everything on it but cut the body and neck. Guitar Mill did those. The lone issue I have is the bridge is pinned down low as possible and action is still 2mm on the high E. So, I'm thinking a shim?

The finish is a hand rubbed water dye with shellac (since I did this in an apartment I wanted to use safe products).

https://imgur.com/a/Eux6SF7

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    brookdalebill, Ian T, TigerG and 3 others like this.
  2. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

That looks awesome, love the pickups and body finish!

decibel likes this.
  3. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Meister

Looks awesome! Congratulations!
    Don’t fear the shim. I reverse shimmed my tele neck to compensate for a bigsby and mastery bridge. I didn’t even have to take the neck off completely. I just loosened the screws and put a business card inbetween the top two screws. Worked like a charm. I have my bridge nice and low, and the action right where I want it.
    Sounds like you’d need to shim the opposite side though, right?

decibel likes this.
  4. decibel

decibel TDPRI Member

Thanks, guys. Yes, I think I need to shim where it means the body. That's good to hear... I was concerned it might require redrilling the neck holes because of the angle change, but it won't? The neck is sitting perfectly right now in terms of the center line, so I don't want to mess with any of that. Thanks!

5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

This is awesome, nice work. How do you like the pickups? I'm really curious, enough to get some if I wasn't up to my neck in builds.

That bridge is way too low, IME. Bring it tall n proud, like it should be. A full pocket 1 degree shim is where things get good.

decibel likes this.
  6. BorderRadio

You don't need to worry about the neck screws at 1 degree, which is well above most cardboard shim adjustments.

decibel likes this.
  7. decibel

decibel TDPRI Member

Thanks!
    I LOVE these pickups. They are wired for coil split, so it gives a lot of variety. I based it off the Waterslide Guitars (They sell for 2.5k, which I couldn't afford, which use the MoJo UK pickups). To me they have great clarity yet a full/"round" tone as well. It almost sounds like a Gretsch Duo Jet but with more tightness in the bass notes and less brittleness in the upper strings.

8. BorderRadio

That's where I noticed them first--Waterslide. I must of missed your threads on this one--what kind of pickups are they? Do you mean a Duo Jet with Filtertrons or Dynasonics?

decibel likes this.
  9. decibel

decibel TDPRI Member

Dynasonics -- to me they sound a little brittle on the unwound strings. These pickups sound a lot like those, but with more clarity and roundness on the unwound strings. The wound strings are a bit tighter sounding, too. Some of this might depend on the amp. I'm playing through and old Princeton.

BorderRadio likes this.
  10. JoeBubbit

JoeBubbit TDPRI Member

A fantastic looking guitar! I've thought about building a guitar, but I have no experience in woodworking. I recently did buy a neck from Guitar Mill with preslotted nut, and had them finish it with an oil rub. I'm going to put that on a guitar I just bought that I like, but the neck (all parts), is just too slim for me.
    I'm guessing those necks from Guitar Mill are pretty much the same as Mario Martin puts on his guitars. Not sure. Maybe someone could help me there.
    I may consider building my own after seeing your first run. Impressive!
    I'd like to see more posts about Guitar Mill too.

decibel likes this.
  11. Itchyfeet1000

Itchyfeet1000 Tele-Meister

Beautiful guitar and major kudos for building it an apartment.

Definitely go with a shim. A small angle at the neck will help you get the action you desire and you'll be able to raise the bridge, increasing the break angle over the saddles. Jazzmaster bridges are notorious for allowing the strings to dislocate sideways otherwise.

decibel likes this.
  12. decibel

decibel TDPRI Member

Thanks! I had no experience, either, but you can find all the info online. I researched the process for about three months before doing anything. If you do that, you can then have confidence you know what you're about to do is the right thing, and you can build it. You can find how to make nuts on YT, too, so you don't have to pay $75 for that pre slotted one.

Thanks! The only downside of an apartment, for those interested in doing this in one, is you can't spray. My way around this was natural products of water dyes and shellac. I have to say I really like the feel of shellac under the arm. It's smoother than nitro. The water dyes give it a rustic look.

I put the shim in, and now the action is 1.5mm high E and 2mm low E, so just where I like it on a 9.5" radius. It's now battling my #1 guitar (A danocaster tele) for that top slot!

JoeBubbit and Itchyfeet1000 like this.
  13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Well done!

decibel likes this.
  14. Itchyfeet1000

Itchyfeet1000 Tele-Meister

Your finishing technique worked a treat. I usually spray in my garage but I've done my latest tele indoors using an odour free epoxy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.