1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Finished my first build... tell me what you think!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by davidtsousa, Apr 26, 2011.

1. davidtsousa

davidtsousa TDPRI Member

Hi Guys!

Just finished my first build…. :D First of all here's a photo...

[​IMG]

I’ve been lurking around TDPRI for the past 4 months but this is my first post.

Have learned a lot from all the amazing builders in the forum that are kind enough to document and share the detailed process of building a guitar. As for my build I didn’t document the process because i really don’t think i would have anything to contribute to the vast knowledge base that this forum has to offer.
    I learned along the way, made a lot of mistakes and the whole process was too slow to make it worth to follow in a forum.

Ok... back to the build. For this first experiment on guitar building i decided i would be happy by making only the body/pickguard/electronics and using a bought neck. The neck is too damn complicated for me to do right now. Don't have the tools, jigs and craftsmanship to make it and having never worked with wood before...

From the beginning i thought that if I would be building a guitar i would try to design my own model instead of replicating an existing one. I think that if you do your own guitar design, you have more freedom to fail (or innovate) and it will still be ok. I hope one day i will take the time to make some telecaster templates and build me one....

This guitar is clearly fender inspired.... It has an offset fender type solid body mostly inspired by the Jazzmaster and the Telecaster... Now you ask me: where the hell is the telecaster inspiration? the telecaster inspiration is in the string through body, and the rounder "tele-like" upper bout. Also, the pickguard resembles some thinline pickguards... The only thing i knew from the beginning was that i wanted a guitar with two P90's, after a few tries this was the design that i was most pleased with...

Now the spec's:

The body was built from a beautiful one-piece mahogany slab. It is a little heavy (2,45 Kg / 5 lbs 8 oz) but it sounds awesome!

The neck is from a 2003 Squier Strat (made in china), and i have to say that, contrary to what some might think, this is a beautifully made neck. It has a slab rosewood fretboard and plays really, really well.

The pickups are IrongGear Platinum 90. I wanted the P90 but didn't have the money to buy Seymour Duncan's, Lollars, or other kind of expensive pickups... P90's are hard to find and so i went on to try these (designed in uk, manufactured in china) pickups. And i must say.... I'm impressed! I have a MIM strat with Custom Shop Fat 50's pickups to compare to, and i can tell you that these pickups are in terms of clarity, punch and output exactly what i expected from a P90 single coil. Highly recommended if you're on a budget!

The rest is pretty simple: a strat-type fixed bridge, a Les Paul / Jazzmaster style 3-way toggle switch (The middle positions sounds amazing with these pickups), a volume, a tone, input jack and that's it.

The finishing process was maybe the most difficult part, as i had no clue about which kind of paint to use, etc...
    Ended up using a filler (brush applied), a white primer spray, two cans of dark red spray (can i call it dakota red?) and finished with two cans of transparent lacquer spray. I don't think that this finish will last forever... Probably I'll have a relic'd guitar in a year or two...
    One thing that i really like about this "very thin" finish is that you can see the mahogany grain....

Now... tell me what you think!

A few photos...

Here you can see the Mahogany grain...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Matching headstock:

[​IMG]

String-through:

[​IMG]

With my Super-Champ XD:

[​IMG]

And finally... a family photo. From left to right: 1997 Fender Jag-Stang (My first electric guitar), 2009 Standard Stratocaster MIM with Custom-Shop Fat 50's, The new entry (how should i call it?) and finally a vintage 1971 Ibanez Les Paul copy. I know, i know... there's no telecaster.. i'm planning on buying/building one...

[​IMG]

Sorry for my bad English.... I'm Portuguese (currently living in Italy).

Cheers

David

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  2. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    It looks great.

I particularly like the look of the body with the unfilled grain.

[​IMG]

3. davmac

davmac Tele-Afflicted

Beautiful guitar. I love it. Congratulations.

BTW: I for one would have loved to follow the build process. Some of the most informative threads (for me) are those by the people just starting out. You can learn more from seeing a mistake than by seeing something go well! :) Also I think the more experienced builder may not even think to consider mentioning a technique or tip that he just assumes everyone knows.

4. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

SWEET ! Nice job.

5. Northerntele

Northerntele Tele-Holic

I would definitely play that.

6. davidtsousa

davidtsousa TDPRI Member

I think you're right.... there's always something to learn. Maybe I was too lazy to document everything :). I promise I'll do a building thread when I try to build my first tele!

Thank you guys for your kind words....

David

7. allen st. john

allen st. john Friend of Leo's

That's a very attractive body shape and I especially love the pickguard.

Nice work.

8. Bud Veazey

Bud Veazey Tele-Holic

I like it. I like the body shape and I like the texture you got by not filling the grain. Love P-90's. I hope the weight doesn't throw your back out of whack

9. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

The body shape and pick guard shape are top notch! You don't see that quality of design very often when a beginner designs their own body. It's all very tasteful. You have a future in guitar building. I'd like to see what kind of variation you could do on a Telecaster. Just enough Tele so you you can tell the origin, but enough customization to make it original. Great work.

10. flag72

flag72 Tele-Afflicted

first welcome to the TDPRI
    and congrats on your first build it is AWSOME man;)

11. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nice looking guitar. Way to go.

12. Justacarp

Justacarp TDPRI Member

Very nice design. Everything about it looks great!

13. Lazor05

Lazor05 Tele-Meister

Looks great! I really like the body shape :)

Your English is better than some who are born in the U.S. haha

14. Fortsbest

Fortsbest Tele-Meister

Very nice looking guitar. Can we get sound clips soon?

15. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

Hi ,welcome to tdpri .You did a real nice job on your first build. Ihope we get to see your tele build

16. MSquier

MSquier TDPRI Member

Really nice, I have top say I like your body shape better than the 2 to its left, its a bit more refined I think. Forget copying a tele, keep making your own designs.

17. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

Really like the symmetry/lines with the upper horn and the pickguard. I think your body design is actually more "telemaster" than the standard jazzmaster shape because you have (successfully) incorporated part of the tele design in the body. The body is truly a hybrid. Good work!

18. Swoop

Swoop Tele-Meister

Looks very cool. I like the unfilled grain, painted headstock, and pickguard design particularly.

19. Juantelemera

Juantelemera Tele-Meister

Sweet!! Nice looking. Good work!

20. chrisgblues

chrisgblues Tele-Afflicted

You did an awesome job, well done!

Most of the time when a newbee does an "original" guitar design, they usually don't put enough thought into the pickguard shape which can really make or break a guitar. However, your pickguard shape is awesome...the lines flow perfectly with the shape of the guitar.

Again, very well done sir!

We want more!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.