1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Finished my first build kit

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by BobTheOwl, Jan 25, 2021.

1. BobTheOwl

BobTheOwl Tele-Meister

Just finished my first build its a Fuzzdog Electrica+ (Champ version). Its been up and running a few weeks but ive just finished the enclosure. I cocked the decal up a little and it ended up not been on square. I know the paint finish isn't perfect, and the soldering is perfect but it works and im happy enough for a first build. hopefully they will only get better as i build more!

As for the pedal, it works best as a gain pedal on quite high but use the guitar volume down a little to make a really transparent drive.

IMG_4502.JPG
    IMG_4503.JPG

SbS, Wallaby, tah1962 and 13 others like this.
  2. LesQuire

LesQuire TDPRI Member

Nice one! The kits I've built have all ended up in plain aluminum boxes so far, I wish i wasn't so lazy so mine could look half as good as yours!

BobTheOwl likes this.
  3. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

i think decals are the most difficult things to do with pedals.
    you have to find the right paper and printer combo, and get things in line for pots and switches.
    if this is your first than congrats, mine were much worse ;-)

zippofan and BobTheOwl like this.
  4. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Looking good! My first decals were a disaster, you'll get the hang of it.

I'll be doing a bunch once the weather warms up, I can't stand the smell of lacquer anymore, I have to spray and dry outside.

ETA: I've had the best results with Hayes' decal paper from Amazon. I used Micro-Mark for years with decent results when my kids and I were building Pinewood Derby cars for Cub Scouts but there's something about this Hayes paper that works great with aluminum enclosures.

BobTheOwl likes this.
  5. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I meant to ask, how do you like using FuzzDog's Optopuss DPDT switching? I have a bunch of Toshiba TLP222 optoisolators, I broke one on a Nucleon FX build and just needed one but I grabbed half a dozen after I noticed it was in FuzzDog's build.

6. BobTheOwl

BobTheOwl Tele-Meister

I gave the optopuss a try as was my first build. Not sure if I will again. I’ve just ordered a few of the FuzzDog switch motherboards for my next few builds. As per my other thread I’m part way through a vero board catalinbread formula 5 clone and I did wonder about fitting it with an optopuss. That was my first vero build, so it was more challenging than the kits - really enjoyed doing it.

zippofan likes this.
  7. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I will definitely pay $15 or $20 more for a pre-finished enclosure ... the way it sounds is more important than the way it looks, sure, but I can't paint an aluminum box to save my life.

zippofan and BobTheOwl like this.
  8. doolbon

doolbon Tele-Meister

It's ALIVE!!! Great job. Very satisfying to play through your own home built pedal.

BobTheOwl likes this.
  9. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

Looks great. Congrats!

BobTheOwl likes this.
  10. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Holic

Looks great! The things that I enjoy using most are those that I made myself, for better or worse. I've never built a pedal but it's on my list.

BobTheOwl likes this.
  11. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I'm stuck again waiting for parts! I think parts inventory, sourcing, ordering and waiting is the hardest part of building pedals ;-)
    It's those handful of crazy values that do it to me every time, like how many circuits use a 2u7 bipolar electrolytic?! I'm also waiting on enclosures from Tayda, at 6 bucks apiece for powder coating it's worth it over spraying paint. I miss Mammoth though, they had great colors at good prices.

BobTheOwl and Urshurak776 like this.
  12. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Very nice! Congratulations on your first pedal build. I started building about a year ago and have completed 10 pedals so far.

BobTheOwl likes this.
  13. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted

Nice job! I hope to do the same some time, well done!

BobTheOwl likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.