Finished My 50's Style Tweed Amp Cab.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by saltyseadog, Mar 28, 2019.

1. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Tele-Meister

Have always had a yen for a tweed amp but being a play at home retiree I could never justify the expense so a few months back I decided to take my 1997 green board BJr' and build it a new house instead. After a lot of research and some probably stupid questions I decided on a Bassman/Bandmaster style cab. As I already had a 4ohm 8" Eminence Patriot 820H left over from another amp I bought a second one which I wired in series giving me 8ohm. Together with the original Eminence special design 12" 8ohm wired with a separate jack I would swap between the 2 x 8" or 1 x 12" options keeping everything at 8ohms. Just took my time doing an hour or three daily so it has taken me around a couple of months but I finally got it finished yesterday. I am pretty chuffed with the outcome and add some photo's for the perusal of those interested.

Attached Files:

2. jtcnj

jtcnj Tele-Holic

Nice work looks great!

3. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Fantastic! (Or, as I believe the British say, "brilliant"!)
    One question: how did you mount the chassis into the bigger cabinet? The chassis fits snugly into the stock cabinet, with bolts on each side as well as on top. With the bigger cabinet, how did you anchor it from the sides?

I have had this on my mind, since I have a nice big pine 1x12 cabinet, and I am thinking about mounting a Fender Pro Junior chassis into it. So I am plotting how to go about it.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Nice looking work.....you did mention you're a play-at-home guy, so my only "dislike" doesn't really apply.....but since I need to carry any amp to and from gigs, I'd prefer not to deal with the size and weight of yours. But, like I said, if it just stays at home, it's all good! ;)
    BTW....I'd love to hear that Blues Jr with the two eights.....I once realized I had four extra eights sitting around that had come out of Vox Pathfinder 15s. I built a 4X8" cabinet, similar to a Super Reverb, and it sounds GREAT!

saltyseadog likes this.
  5. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

Looks great. I bet it sounds awesome.

saltyseadog likes this.
  6. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Tele-Meister

Originally I was going to inset a couple of wooden blocks to fix the side bolts but realised when I cut the upper back panel that there were also 5 bolt holes there. I blocked off two of them and used the centre top one as well as the one under the name plate and the other one on that line above the valves. So with the two top bolts and the three on the back I feel that is more than strong and stiff enough. i also have the 4 x 4mm alan bolts on the top panel sides and everything other than the amp bolts are mounted into t-nuts, no screws other than the reverb tank and the feet.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  7. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Got it, thanks!

saltyseadog likes this.
  8. cincyguitarplay

cincyguitarplay Tele-Meister

Great job buddy...cool looking amp!

saltyseadog likes this.
  9. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Well done! Enjoy your time with it!

saltyseadog likes this.
  10. John How

John How Tele-Meister

Very nicely done!!!

saltyseadog likes this.
  11. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Very nice job and a beautiful amp. How does it sound? Bigger, Better?

Congrats.

saltyseadog likes this.
  12. '59Tele

'59Tele TDPRI Member

That's some serious craftsmanship mate...job's a good 'un!

saltyseadog likes this.
  13. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Tele-Meister

After two days of playing it I have come to the initial conclusions in my opinion. Playing through the original 12" speaker it sounds like a BJr' but much more open and touch sensitive. The bass sounds entirely different now and the sound on the whole much clearer. Previously I would set the BJr' up with the Master at 12 and the Vol/Gain around 2 this gave me a decent clean sound I then use a Zoom FBM1 Bassman pedal I have had for the last 2-3 yrs for crunch. I have a Dennis Cornell 25db mid boost system in my strat and at those settings it stayed pretty clean at the amp with the mids getting thicker but not really distorting at all. Then switching to the FBM1 pedal took me from mild to sustained bluesy overdrive tones. Playing through the 2 x 8" Patriot it is just a completely different amp, much thicker sound than the 12", in fact at the clean amp setting and the mid boost on full they have a really nice mild distortion going on, through the FBM1 they sound astonishingly good and make it easy to achieve a good simulation of the late 60's early 70's Stones sound. All in all I feel I have achieved more than what I set out to do.

14. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Glad that you like it. Again, beautiful work.

saltyseadog likes this.
  15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Very nice. I like that you went with something different for the speaker arrangement.

saltyseadog likes this.
  16. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Holic

That's some real out of the ordinary thinking and a great idea. Good to know that you're happy with the result. Makes me think about messing with one of my amps.

saltyseadog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.