Finished First Partscaster! Thinline No F Hole

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by jayflowers, Dec 15, 2019.

1. jayflowers

jayflowers NEW MEMBER!

I finished my first partscaster and am pretty thrilled about it! A couple highlights below:

- Didn't realize that the warmoth roasted maple necks were such a hard/brittle wood. Apparently they come with a piece of paper that suggests widening the pilot holes that screw in the tuners but that was missing from my shipment! When i screwed in the LAST dang tuner a little fissure developed in the headstock. It wasnt too bad, just sad as hell. For precaution i unscrewed the tuners, widened th holes, superglued the fissure and put a clamp on it for a couple days to support it.

- 4 way switch with the bridge passing through the neck as the last option (if understand that correctly but that's certainly how i wired it.

- Something is a little off with the wiring. She sounds great though so i dont want to take it apart! lol. I think something is ungrounded as there is a heavy buzz/hum with the tone knob turned up. When i touch the knobs, the sound goes away. Hell, even if i touch the tuning pegs the sound goes away. Not quite sure what it is but let me know if you have any thoughts. I don't think that is traditional 60 cycle hum. If you have any thoughts about what it might be im taking suggestions below.

- Just want to point out one of my favorite parts of the guitar is the ebony fretboard around the 20+ fret. I think warmoth called it a flame or something like that, but the wood changes colors and is this delicious creamy thing matching the body and fret inlays. Love it!

- The electrosocket jack is life changing. Do this.

Sloppy Specs:

- Warmoth Roasted Maple Neck and Ebony Fretboard, compound radius modern/vintage construction. Stainless steel frets, dont remember the size, its the one everyone gets that are not jumbo these days.
    - Warmoth Body, some kind of white maybe vintage white, Thinline with no F hole so its basically chambered as I understand it. Guitar is very lightweight!
    - Dimarzio Twang King Bridge and Neck
    - Fender American Hot Rod Telecaster Bridge, its the expensive compensated one i have no business getting.
    - Gotoh Vintage locking tuners
    - Electronics in there are from stewmac, i think they are advertised as vintage or the better ones or something.

I actually dont know how to play guitar. I really wanted a strat, but i borrowed my uncle in laws telecaster while i was saving for a new guitar. I shopped around for more than a year, but couldnt find exactly what i wanted. Plus i was too embarrassed to go into stores, plug in and get harassed by a GC employee. I decided i would build what i thought was special, and it is! Bad news is i got bit by the bug... already planning for my next project!

2. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

That looks great! Don't worry about the whole notion of having a guitar that's beyond your playing capabilities. Who cares! I found as I was progressing into a better player that a better guitar made a big difference and as I went back and played my older guitars they weren't as much fun to play, and made playing more difficult. I wish that more people could spend a little more on their first guitars because they can get a better playing instrument that way, but there's the catch that even if they can afford it they may not stick with it.

On the wiring issue that sounds like grounding to me. Could be a bad solder joint or just a missing connection somewhere. Is there a ground wire going to the bridge? Next time you have it apart take detailed pictures of everything and maybe share the wiring diagram you used. Sometimes those can miss grounds or just be confusing on how things are labeled.

How about a good setup? You say you don't know how to play the guitar but the rest of your post has so much detail you seem to know a lot about the instrument, so I'm assuming this is your first or second guitar. But I'm also assuming you're not giving yourself enough credit ;)

A good setup can make a huge difference. The one warmoth neck that own was pretty good but I didn't jive with it like the rest of my guitars until I realized I needed to cut the nut slots a little deeper. When I got the neck that wasn't in my skill set to do myself, so I suffered for it. But getting the truss rod set and the action of the strings, as well as the nut slots to the correct height can make a big difference.

Great guitar. Can't wait to see what you dream up next.

Torren61 likes this.
  3. nopicknick

nopicknick Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Nice job....looks great!

4. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's some nice work right there. I bet she resonates very well with the Thinline openess. Great first job!

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nice!

6. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

I had a similar thing when I built my tele. I had reversed the ground and hot on the output jack.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.