Finish Check or Wood Crack

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by The_Doctor, Mar 18, 2021.

1. The_Doctor

The_Doctor TDPRI Member

Hello everyone! Hope you all are doing well. I noticed a crack near the fret tang of my CS NOS Telecaster -- image below. Do you all think it is a finish check or a wood crack? I don't really mind if it is a finish check. A wood crack would be worrisome to me. Either way, thank you for taking the time to look!
    IMG_0429.PNG

Telekarster likes this.
  2. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

hmm. Looks like a small "wood crack" to me. I'd keep on eye on it. I'd be a bit surprised if it grows much though.

3. The_Doctor

The_Doctor TDPRI Member

Thanks for taking a look. I can't really tell, at some angles it looks like a finish and others it could be wood. If I run my fingernail over it, I can feel a little ridge. Maybe I'll have Gryphon take a look at it when it goes in for a setup.

I guess either way I shouldn't worry too much about it. But sometimes my OCD takes over on these sort of things. I suppose worst case scenario would be down the road it could get a new neck if it continued to grow.

4. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I agree with villiansean about it being a small crack.

I really don't see a problem with it.
    If you keep the neck clean and occasionally polished with a nice carnauba wax, it should stay just like that forever.

If, however, you do a lot of Adrian Belew neck bends, or if the guitar gets knocked over a lot, then it might branch out.

It's right on the seam of the maple neck and the maple fingerboard, and it's not near the nut end, so I wouldn't worry much about it.

It adds character!

:)

5. The_Doctor

The_Doctor TDPRI Member

Thank you for your insight Sparky. I don't abuse it or do any neck bends. Maybe it has always been there and sweat and dirt made its way in so now it is visible. I'll just keep an eye on it and not let it bother me!

VillainSean likes this.
  6. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It looks to me as if it is a void in a glue seam between a fretboard and the rest of the neck, possibly aggravated by seasonal climate patterns. Unless, that is, if it is a one-piece maple neck. The fact that it is discolored tells me it is likely open all the way to the surface and harboring hand grime. I have to wonder if the fret has started to rise a bit due to the localized wood expansion, as well.

7. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    ^^^^This....sometimes when we go looking for things, we find things....:D I say play the hell out of that guitar and enjoy it....

8. The_Doctor

The_Doctor TDPRI Member

Hi Old Deaf, thanks for taking a look. It is a one piece quarter sawn neck. Maybe the fact that is quarter sawn and stiffer has something to do with it? I can feel the fret edge there whereas I can't really on the rest of the neck. Maybe that indicates something to do with the seasonal change?

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  9. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Naw.... crack or not it's so insignificant to me that I wouldn't worry about it at all, IMO. Keep an eye on it but most likely it's just something that happened during a temp change, for whatever reason, and may have always been there and you just now noticed it, cause it's filling in with dirt etc. IMHO, I'd just keep on rockin' ;) It's all good

10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Me too. It has just taken a while to get hand dirt in there and now it's obvious. Maybe it's just the light, but it appears to have a glued on fretboard....I guess it doesn't though.
    It could just be a little finish crack too. Seems a strange wood crack or finish crack.

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  11. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Look at this closely and you will see more than 1 crack . In fact the obvious one is actually two . It does not connect under the fret tang .

12. tube.tone

tube.tone Tele-Meister

it looks just finish to me, the hands oils and humidity made it a bit darker. Normal wear and tear.
    I wouldn't worry to much about it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.