Fingerstyle method advice

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by brogh, Aug 17, 2017.

1. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Hello Fellas :)

I have .. well .. ngd post will be later :D anyhow..

I'm looking into fingerstyle just wanted to know what method you can advise for a total beginner on acustics.
    I learned some "picking" songs along the way but really not fingerstyle stuff.

I have this one which i'll be diving into from today, but it's focused on blues.

[​IMG]

I'd like to learn something in country/folk/bluegrass (??) if you came over any method that you find great please ring a bell...

I'm really NOT looking at web courses, i want to stay off computer (ipad) when i practice.

Thank You !

Cheers

2. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

I learned (some) classical guitar before I got into country/bluegrass picking. I think it really helped my right hand technique a lot and made learning Chet Atkins and Kerry Reed type stuff a little less daunting.

The Christopher Parkening book is pretty cool

Or if you just want some pieces to work on to help work out your picking hand, I'm a big fan of the Carcassi Etudes . They're pretty simple and sound really cool... even on an electric or steel string guitar

brogh likes this.
  3. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

I listend to a lot of Chet Atkins' records when I was learning guitar.
    If you observe his overall approach (rather than try to duplicate his arrangements note-for-note), it may be helpful
    to you as a beginning finger style player.

Take some simple tunes (old folk music songs or pop songs) that you may already know and then try to play them finger style. Examples might include Freight Train or House of the Rising Sun, or Beatles or Bob Dylan songs, among others.
    Build on what you already know.

There are a lot of songs available in tablature that show you exactly what to play, and if that's what you want to learn, that's fine, but I think you'd prefer to discover things on your own rather than sit in front of your computer.

brogh likes this.
  4. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

I recently picked up The Guitar Grimoire The Fingerpicking Book. It was discounted that day at GUitar Center.

Although I usually play with my fingers anyway, I want to become more organized in doing so. Some of it is really tough for me but like anything else.....Practice practice .......

brogh likes this.
  5. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Check out Tommy Emmanuel, he is the reigning king of Chet Atkins style, and absolutely amazing.
    If that is the style you're looking for then there are many lessons from Tommy and others of the same style.
    It feels impossible to play when you start, but if you follow Tommy's advice you can begin to make it happen.
    YouTube has hundreds of videos of Tommy, he has his own channel.
    I've been working on this style for about six years and I think I'm doing ok, I'm light years ahead of when I first began learning the right hand technique that is the heart of finger style.
    Good luck,

brogh likes this.
  6. brogh

Thanks for the reply guys !

Yup i know chet and tommy obviously :) but .. hey .. let's start a little bit "slower" :p

my """"fingerstyle"""" is random, i don't use patterns or fingerings for this, so i basically pull the finger i think it's the most right one .. in this way everything sounds mostly "crappy" and you don't improve that much, what i'm looking for is a printed method, that will get me started from "the beginning"

Like this one :

[​IMG]

I want to get rid of bad habits developed over the years in first instance, going up in the chet & tommy alley will come waaaaaaayyyyy later :)

I'll take a look ath the methods you have advised guys !

Thank You !!

7. brogh

The thing is that to me computer is VERY distracting, that s why i asked for a printed method :) i really want to stay away from tablature, i'd rather like the score version, and start ( finally ) to work o proper scores, i'm getting again onto the leavitt, but it's not very specific to fingerstyle.

I like to discover things on my own, but i need to get some things straighten out, i have the WORST finger style technique .. ( yeah let's call it "technique" :p )

Nickadermis likes this.
  8. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

Practice & learn to "pick" the melody notes from within the chord(s) being fingered/played.

9. brogh

like this right ? ;) yeah i'll get there :)

Old Tele man likes this.
  10. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

I think that a lot of the drive or rhythm of good finger style is in being able to keep the time going with your thumb.
    I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, but the way I started to learn this was through an old "Learn to Play
    with Chet Atkins" LP. I learned Nine Pound Hammer this way.

Check out the music of Mississippi John Hurt or Mance Lipscomb. Both are sometimes considered bluesmen,
    but both were primarily songsters (to use Lipscomb's term). They played some interesting finger style melodies. M.J. Hurt used an alternating bass while Lipscomb used a steady, driving bass.

I look forward to your NGD post.

brogh likes this.
  11. eclipse

eclipse Tele-Meister

brogh likes this.
  12. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I knew it! If I waited long enough, eventually someone would post a tab for Happy Birthday!:D

13. brogh

cmon that wasn't to hard to find ;)

btw .. i'd like to play happy birthday like this guy ..

cheers

14. gerry123

gerry123 TDPRI Member

Check out this website of Fingerpicking lessons that includes tab and video: littletobywalker.com.
    He has a basic "learn to Fingerpick" course for around $12.

Toby's courses are also fully discussed on the Acoustic Guitar Forum.

Gerry

rich815 likes this.
  15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Even though I wanted to fingerpick for old blues stuff, I learned "Travis" picking first. It will get your three "Melody fingers going while changing chords with your fretting hand. Once you get that (and to me it was the biggest hurdle), you can play just about any other fingerpicking style relatively easily. The assigned index for the G string, middle for the B string and ring finger for the E string, gets all of those fingers moving. Later on as you learn other songs, you will realize that you don't need to use all three fingers, but you will always have that option.

16. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

Good advice, this was how I learned. "Dust in the wind" was the song I used to figure it out. After that, learning other patterns was not difficult.

Obsessed likes this.
  17. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Most TAB is printed concurrent with standard notation. Just ignore the TAB if you prefer.

There's so much available online these days, and most of it you can download PDFs, which you could then print and use without being in front of the computer.

Bluegrass is a flatpicking style, full stop.

Country fingerstyle screams "Chet", the basis of which is Travis picking. Jason McLoughlin teaches a beginner Travis picking course on Truefire (sorry, it's just where a lot of good stuff lives). Again, all downloadable, printed in standard and TAB.

Practice Travis picking until the thumb moves independently of the fingers. You can be playing blues or country. The finger "style" is similar, just different notes.

Start with thumb covering EAD, and use the first two fingers, or perhaps three, to cover GBe. All the fingering variations start there.

brogh and Obsessed like this.
  18. jsp737

jsp737 Tele-Meister

Hah, funny but that was the first book I used to learn some fingerstyle. I thought it had some good stuff in it and it got me going down that path. There's a ton of stuff on the internet that's worth watching a little even if you don't want to be on the computer much. Watch the demonstration, print out the tab and get to work. Go back and watch the tricky parts if you need to. I do a lot of that working on everything from chord melody jazz songs to country stuff. Though I'm not a great player by any means, I've found over time I went from playing exclusively with a flat pick to playing mostly fingerstyle or alternate picking whether it's on the acoustic or electric.
    JP

moosie likes this.
  19. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I started with this (found the pattern on his site) and it was a great place to start:

20. mfowler314

mfowler314 Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.