1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fingers v pick

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rustynuts, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I played pretty much exclusively with thumb and fingers for a long time but have switched back to picks over the last four or five years. I still use my fingers sometimes.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

I have played with a pick for most of my years, though I started with classical right at the beginning. A few years ago, I put down the pick for a whole year, just to see what would happen. It was a good experience, because as a lefty playing righty, string skipping and arpeggios are tricky for me, but my classical experience helped a lot with those things.

More recently, I bought a electric nylon string guitar, and I'm back to pickless for the foreseeable future. I'm really enjoying it.

3. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

depends

4. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I try most parts both ways, and usually it's pretty clear which works better. Mostly with a pick with a band

5. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

Depends on what song I'm playing. Probably works out to 50/50.

6. 71Tele

71Tele Tele-Meister

I rarely play with a pick, and only for strumming on my acoustic guitar.
    Besides, I prefer the sound I get with my fingers.

7. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

95% fingers. Generally thumb, index and middle. For strumming I just use thumb and index wedged together, using appropriate nails as "picks".

I was a totally finger style bass player, so it just naturally transferred over to guitar.

8. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I suppose I use a pick more...
    However, I feel I can exert more definition of notes by fingerpicking.
    I use all four fingers.
    If I get anxious/excited I might lean more toward the pick (for comfort and safety.)
    I still like the fingers for flow , tone and melody over the pick.

9. zosofan

zosofan Tele-Meister

Sometimes I flat pick and other times I play finger style. It just depends on the song.

10. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

Used a pick when I started playing electric guiztar, but always had it combined with picking with middle and ringfinger.
    Stopped using picks completely in 2012 when I started to play guitar again on a regular basis after a break for a couple of years.
    Have never used a pick since then and don't miss it.
    I may not do metal or djent convincingly, but I feel comfortable and confident in everything else from country to funk.

11. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Afflicted

I suffered a severe injury to my right hand last year, and can't keep a grip on a pick, any longer. Learning to do without.

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Flat picking until 6 or 7 years ago. Now 50/50 depending on the song and I have finally got one of the hybrid picking styles under control. For fingerpicking electric, it is just the tele for me. I use all fingers and can switch them up without thinking. The thumb baseline is my most challenging. I got it, but learning a new song is still very difficult.

13. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Somehow I evolved into hybrid picking, and I don't even know how or when it happened. It's just something that occurred on its own.

14. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

Fingers (well, nails) for me. Started as a classical guitarist, but I did try playing electric with pick and fingers (hybrid) for quite a few years before going back to fingers only.
    More recently I have started playing a lot of steel, so tried that with thumb and finger picks, exclusively, for over a year. But still couldn't play as well as with my fingers, so just went back to that on both guitar and steel.

15. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

I use a pick.

My fingertips are too wide for finger-picking.

16. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

All of the above.

17. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Why not both? Hybrid picking is super useful, not just for playing on multiple strings, but also because you can instantly go from picked tones to fingered tones completely selectively. The only drawback is you lose one appendage compared to full finger style. (5 pickers for fingerstyle, 4 pickers for hybrid) Having a plectrum allows you to do percussive tones not available with just fingers, and the speed at which you can pick can often easily compensate for the fact you have one less appendage to work with, though, 'grabbing' chords, you still lose one string..

18. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

Both, flat-pick on bass strings and three fingers on rest of the strings...usually.

19. murdude

murdude Tele-Meister

About 6 months ago, I began my transition to finger style with use of a thumb pick. The use of the Fred Kelly Slick Picks has made the transition much less difficult. I have pretty much adapted to playing most songs this way. Plus, it has opened up some styles that I had never played. The only time I use a flat pick now is if the number calls for a lot of down up strumming.

20. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I use a mix of pick, hybrid and finger picking. There are certain things you can't do with a pick and there are things you can't do without. So I use all I can.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.