Fingerpickers vs pick users

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DaphneBlue, Jul 10, 2019.

Fingerpicker or picker

1. Fingerpicker

8 vote(s)
    10.8%
  2. Picker

13 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Both

50 vote(s)
    67.6%
  4. None

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I'm a squirrel and I went nuts on TDPRI

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm an all 5 bare fingers picker. Self taught.

That said, over the years I've seen so many amazing hybrid pickers and flat pickers and players who use thumbpicks and/or fingerpicks and folks who use no picks...there are no rules just whatever works for you.

DaphneBlue and ReverendRevolver like this.
  2. Alcohen

Alcohen Tele-Meister

Mostly a picker, getting a bit better as a hybrid picker as well. I can't do straight fingerpicking at all, and the more hybrid picking I do, the more uncomfortable I feel trying to fingerpick without a pick between thumb and forefinger.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  3. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

I play with my bare hand more and more lately, but I hesitate to call it “fingerpicking”. That sounds too formal. My technique is pretty well rooted in hackery.

DaphneBlue and chulaivet1966 like this.
  4. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Ha....well, as long as you're doing it well all is good. :)

5. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

I do both & started hybrid picking a few years ago. As a bonus thé hybrid style finally got me to stop biting my nails. I now keep my right middle & ring finger nails just long enough to snap the strings a bit so they sound more consistent with the tone of the pick.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  6. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

In my schooldays I played classical guitar with fingers and electric with a pick. I continued doing that for many years after until I more or less stopped playing classical, and just went with a pick. I then discovered hybrid picking and did that exclusively for a number of years. About 10 or so years ago I decided to relearn some classical pieces so used my fingers. I would mostly play them on an electric guitar, and basically just went to being a fingerpicker rather than playing hybrid. i now play a lot of chord melody jazz stuff, and that is much easier (for me) just with the fingers. I now regret that I had two different techniques at school, since it did affect my classical technique quite considerably. But back then I didn't even consider the possibility of playing electric without a pick - it never crossed my mind.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  7. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I use three fingerpicks ('Alaska' type) and a thumb pick, so yes, I use 'picks', just never a flat pick.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  8. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

I learned classical guitar for about two years - I would have continued 8and I regret that I didn't), if not my teacher joined some awkward sect somewhere in the swiss mountains....Of course fingers with that.
    When I started electric guitar, I used picks because everybody did it. I experimented with hybrid picking, but always with picks.
    Then I paused playing in bands and more or less playing guitar at all for about 4 years.
    When I started playing again around 2010/2011 I used my fingers only, because a pick just didn't work.
    Never used a pick again and I think I play a lot better compared to former years.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  9. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Can't decide.
    Some things work well fingerpicking - but I have yet to figure out how to palm mute while fingerpicking.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  10. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Fingers unless I’m just strumming.

I have a bizarre technique though. I use my index fingernail as if it was a guitar pick. I look like I’m holding a pick, except there’s no pick there, just my fingertip.

RLee77 likes this.
  11. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Both flatpick and finger style here. Not much hybrid. They each have their own unique tone, and it depends on what the song calls for, both for tone and technique required.
    For a long stint I got in the habit of just grabbing a guitar and playing even the single note lead type stuff without bothering to grab a pick, but simulating a pick using the nail on my index finger; I’d brace it with my thumb (almost like holding an invisible pick) and do alternate up/down strokes with the nail just like a pick, and it started feeling pretty natural.
    When I started using a pick again it took a while to get the feel of it back. Some things just call for the percussive attack of a pick. But with fingers, you can create such a huge variety of different tones and moods.

One of my favorite finger pickers is Keb Mo... love his stuff. But I’ve not gotten the knack of that yet... I’ve done a little bit of it, and it’s really fun when you get the syncopation right.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    DaphneBlue likes this.
  12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I use my fingers about 80% of the time. I occasionally use a thumbpick or a regular pick when I want that kind of attack. When I play resonator, I use a thumbpick and metal fingerpicks.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  13. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister

Thumbpick and fingers. I used to hybrid pick, but at this point it feels weird going back. BTW I'm painfully average otherwise.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  14. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Pick or fingerstyle on acoustic, pick or hybrid on electric, exclusively pick on bass. I started off playing classical, so it was a good six years or so before I even tried using a pick.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  15. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

Both on guitar and bass. On bass will occasionally use a felt pick (3.2mm).

DaphneBlue likes this.
  16. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I love using both a thumbpick and fingers for fingerpicking or fingerstyle instrumentals
    But I also use a flatpick for R&R/blues, and bluegrass/ Classic Country

Use this Herco Thumbpick/Flatpick as it is perfect for doing both styles on the fly, or in the same song- a perfect pick! (for me)
    20190303_090644.jpg

DaphneBlue likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.