1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fingernails-(Never thought I would be asking a bunch pf guys)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by martyb1, Mar 28, 2007.

1. martyb1

martyb1 Tele-Afflicted

Kinda weird asking a bunch of guys about nails but :eek:
    My fingernails grow real fast.Now that I am starting to use a thumb pick and fingernails on my left hand I have a terrible time with them splitting.I see there are lots of guys that use fake nails.Any suggestions.Don't want to go into the drug store and look stupid:rolleyes:
    I have to admit that making the move to a thumb pick is not as hard as I thought it was going to be.I have always used my 2nd and 3rd fingers with the flat pick but thought I was going to have real problems.Well anyway,any suggestions.:lol:

2. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

Get some lanolin (oil from sheeps wool) you can buy it as a cream from the drug store... rub it into your nails... It'll help stop them splitting... I've never used falsies though... I see how you'd be embarrassed asking for them... :oops: :D

Good luck.

BBB.

3. Telehackster

Telehackster Tele-Afflicted

Steve Trovato once recommended using clear fingernail polish.

4. cacibi

cacibi Friend of Leo's

Sally Hansen 'Hard As Nails' strengthener works for me. And you can chat up the girls for nail care tips. They love it!

5. RelicStrat

RelicStrat Tele-Meister

This is what you want. The one in the blue package. It has a matte finish so it doesn't shine, you can't even tell it's on your nails. Works great too. Matte Nail Envy

6. david henman

david henman Tele-Holic

...first try cutting your fingernails really short and using the meat of your thumb/fingers. i find this is far more expressive and toneful.

-dh

7. Wop Geronimo

Wop Geronimo Former Member

Ditto, you never heard tele spank until you become a beef plucker.... wow that sound dirty gay and helpful all at the same time.

8. joel_ostrom

joel_ostrom Tele-Afflicted

i've used the fake nails and found that they don't really work well for me. I have a terrible time just maintaining them when they're on, keeping them at just the right length. The glue is a nuisance and i usually end up gluing my fingers together at least once.

If they're aren't too thick, then i don't mind using them but they're just too high maintainence for me. I've found that just letting my own nails grow out about 1cm works just as well. And if they break or chip and i have to cut them off, i just use the tips of my fingers (right hand) to pop the strings. After continuous play your fingertips will gets sore from this, but just like your left hand, they'll callus up and pretty soon you won't notice.

If you can make the nails work for your the all the power to you!
    Cheers,
    Joel;)

P.S. LOL, don't worry about looking stupid at the drug store. Nobody cares. Unless you know the cashier personally (and know that they'll make fun of you later for it...), don't give it a second thought. You'll never see them again anyways. When i bought mine the lady asked me if they were for guitar right off the bat.

9. fltpkr

fltpkr RIP

Another poster said something like " funny how we started out as young guys who learned guitar to pick up girls, and ended up as old men discussing our fingernails".

I've tried the Hard As Nails, and it doesn't do much for me, plus it's shiny. Think I'll try the Nail Envy Matte stuff.

10. Pete Galati

Pete Galati R.I.P.

Sounds like a good recomendation to me.

When my fingernails or thumbnail get long enough to hit the strings, I cut them back. I don't really need fingernails or picks to be heard with an electric guitar.

Pete

11. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

Don't tell Brent Mason that. Hee. ;) He worries about his nails, and it helps him play all those amazing licks on all those platinum records. :eek: Doesn't seem quite so silly now, does it? ;-)

Seriously – they're a part of your "instrument" as far as I'm concerned. Just as important a part of YOUR sound as whatever kind of pick or pickup or amp you use. :idea: All IMO, as always. :) CS

12. cacibi

cacibi Friend of Leo's

Alright - but they flash and shine so nice under the stage lights. It's like the most boring Ace Frehley impression ever!

13. NewOldStock

NewOldStock Tele-Holic

Cliff Claven here-

:lol:
    Interesting post, for me. After a life-long habit of biting my fingernails, I finally quite 8 weeks ago. I'm just so happy, I had to post.

Read some interesting medical facts when I decided to quit. These are averages-

1. The speed of growth is determined by the length of the digit. For example, a nail on a middle finger grows faster than the thumb and pinky.
    2. The average fingernail grows 1.5 inches a year. This roughly equates to a new fingernail every 6 months.
    3. Fingernails grow anywhere from 2-4 times faster than toenails.
    4. Your dominant hand's nails grow faster than your weaker hand's. And a nail biter's nails grow faster due to the increase in blood pressure created.
    5. Nail biting causes tooth decay. This is due to the bacteria collected under the nails being transmitted to the gum area.

I also quit smoking last November after 19 years, 3 1/3 packs a day, but I won't go into that.:D

14. fltpkr

fltpkr RIP

My band members are all knuckle-draggers. They don't understand nail hardener, much less face paint.:lol:

15. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Add to that list that fingernails and facial hair will grow after a person's death. :eek: :idea:

16. bluetele54

bluetele54 Friend of Leo's

...your manhood is not compromised...

...I had a buddy say he saw an interview with Billy Gibbons saying that he goes to those nail parlors ("you pick color") and has fills put on his right hand...I've been doing it for almost 9 years,and I have them applied to four fingers on my right hand,from the thumb to the 4th finger...it's like having picks on the end of your fingers...I had to do it simply because I would wear down my fingernails (from hard playing) to the degree that it would mess with my playing...if you feel it compromises your manhood,get over it,oh,and while you're there,get a pedicure,as it's very relaxing,and your feet look great!!!...it's also very cool to go with your significant other and get your pedicures together...Carol and I did that on Valentines day...very sexy...

17. NewOldStock

NewOldStock Tele-Holic

Well...actually:) ...there's been many research articles written on this one dispelling the myth.

Apparently, in 1959, some actor made mention of this in a popular movie and the legend started, getting fuel from Johnny Carson and others, over the years, to keep it alive.

Urban Legend Reference Page.

18. sneakyjapan

sneakyjapan Poster Extraordinaire

wheres the hair color thread?

19. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

Where's the hair? :D :eek: ;) Or rather... where did it disappear to? :?: Hee. ;-) CS

20. sneakyjapan

sneakyjapan Poster Extraordinaire

:lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.