Fingernail Maintenance

Muddyshoes

Tele-Holic
The question I have to all is, how offed do you have to file your fingernails to feel that they are at their playing optimal?

For myself I like to file them about every three to four days. My index finger seems to be my barometer, I feel that one first out of all the others if it's a touch to long.

P.S. Do any of you use a glass file? I have been just using the cheap boards for years but I'm thinking maybe I will buy a high quality glass file......Hum, I will have to hide it from the wife....I can hear it now.... " Where did you get this.... Oh I like this" :mad:

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
The question I have to all is, how offed do you have to file your fingernails to feel that they are at their playing optimal?

For myself I like to file them about every three to four days. My index finger seems to be my barometer, I feel that one first out of all the others if it's a touch to long.

P.S. Do any of you use a glass file? I have been just using the cheap boards for years but I'm thinking maybe I will buy a high quality glass file......Hum, I will have to hide it from the wife....I can hear it now.... " Where did you get this.... Oh I like this" :mad:

3 to 4 days if you're diligent about it. I let them go until I suddenly realize they're way too long. Only use it on my right hand fingernails. Supposedly, using a nail file instead of clippers is it will help prevent nail breaks.

I don't know what a glass file is. I use a steel DiamondDeb that has a crushed diamond surface -- rough on one side, smoother on the other. It's a great nail file and it lasts about forever.

StrangerNY

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I trim and file them before and after every gig.

My nails - especially on my right hand - get absolutely chewed up because of how I play. It takes constant maintenance to prevent getting a nail hung up on a string, which is no fun at all.

- D

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Weekly for sure. I have a lot of trouble with cracking and breaking. Ugh.

Midgetje94

Tele-Afflicted
Yea I’m one of those nail biters. Kicked the habit back in late teens. Lost a good friend of mine in the military. Started again as a nervous tick thing. Now just habit. Don’t realize I do it half the time now.

buuttt reading this. Sounds like a lot of work. Maybe there’s at least one plus side lol.

beep.click

Poster Extraordinaire
I only clip, never file. For some reason, filing makes my nails break into LAYERS -- very bad.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
A glass file? What’s that? I play finger style using the pads of my fingers. I file my nails with an HBA aisle emery board whenever I hear the timbre of a nail scraping on a string. I use my wife’s Amope, a motorized callus grinder, on my fretting fingers. Ungroomed, there’s too much of a chance of an unintentional pull off. Cleanliness is next to godliness. Well maybe not, but good grooming is essential for playing guitar.

Muddyshoes

Tele-Holic
A glass file? What’s that? I play finger style using the pads of my fingers. I file my nails with an HBA aisle emery board whenever I hear the timbre of a nail scraping on a string. I use my wife’s Amope, a motorized callus grinder, on my fretting fingers. Ungroomed, there’s too much of a chance of an unintentional pull off. Cleanliness is next to godliness. Well maybe not, but good grooming is essential for playing guitar.

My bad, I should have said a Crystal file

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
I hit 'em every other day or so plus whenever they fight me. I, too learned classical and use my fingers for every genre alongside flat picks. I get acrylic resin and beads applied because playing just destroys my natural nails and I need to be ready whenever there is a studio call.

Bob

SRBMusic

TDPRI Member
Gold Supporter
If your nails are thin and break easily, try taking Omega-3. I’ve fought fragile, brittle nails my whole guitar-playing life. My doc told me to start taking Omega-3s to correct a deficiency. About six months in, I noticed my nails were a lot thicker and stronger. Bonus! Good stuff.
As for care, I use a diamond file and buff ‘em on my jeans. About every 3-4 days works for me unless I’m gigging, which hasn’t been a thing lately, lol.

Wallaby

Friend of Leo's
Approximately once a week or if I need to smooth out a rough edge.

I use regular cheap emery boards from the grocery store.