Fingerboard Failure?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by torodurham, Jul 24, 2021.

1. torodurham

torodurham Tele-Holic

A customer sent me a pic of his strat neck that I made recently..it showed the FB separated from the neck the length of the neck pocket,, and asked if I have ever had this happen before..
    I asked him if he installed that neck on another guitar body or changed the PG..he said no. He said that he noticed some fret buzz and then saw the separation.
    I don't believe him. I think he attempted to put it on another body with a deeper neck pocket. The end of FB overlapping the body was forced off neck when he tightened the neck screws...and then a sickening Crack.
    Once I see it I'll be looking for wood splinters still attached that will be the proof that the glue held and the FB was forced off..if the glue failed there wouldn't be wood splinters on either side.
    Has anyone delt with this issue b4? IMG_4654.jpg

Flip G likes this.
  2. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

I'm on your side with this one. I was thinking the same thing. Just another reason to add to my list of why I hate the 22nd fret overhang!

Greggorios and lammie200 like this.
  3. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

That has to be the most stable part of a neck. I just can't see how it could let go unless forced off by upward pressure on the overhang.

4. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

i see the fret ends with gaps i think come from a refret.
    between fret 6 and 7, counted from the end of de fretboard you seem to see a start of a tear/crack/breakpoint that would not happen with natural lift from fretboard and neck, but more by brute force.
    but i could be wrong ;-)

5. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Yes, I was going to say that they are way too deep.

Nevertheless, to my look is a glue failure, not from changing the neck

6. tomasz

tomasz Tele-Meister

I would suspect tension on the hang of some sort. Maybe the neck was snug and was tilted on removal towards the body? The crack forming under fret 16 would be my suspect for tension.

Whatever happend though, it's a fairly simple repair job.

7. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Bingo.... I'm with Steve on this one...

Now.. the problem.. While you have every right to stand by your guns and deny a warranty claim.. doing so may cost you far more than simply replacing the neck...

Typically, piss someone off and they will make sure at least 11 other people are made aware of it... make them happy and that only makes it to about 3...

8. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Holic

Good point Ron. Someone who is prepared to tell porkies about what caused the damage will probably bad mouth you to others. You are totally in the right but may have to just suck it up to protect your reputation. It certainly is not fair!

9. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Friend of Leo's

What glue did you use? Tite Bond I?

Did he leave it in his car during the day where it got over 130°? Again, still the pickguard... Just thinking of possible contributing factors.

10. Ronkirn

I might qualify my comment above about making some guys happy.. there ARE those that simply refuse to be made happy.. and they are usually the ones that make bogus warranty claims... thus if after discussions with the guy, if he's persists in being a Jerk, you have nothing to loose in letting him "eat" it... he's gonna flame you anyway..

ron

Moodivarius and Peegoo like this.
  11. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Modern glues like Titebond don't let go like that unless you overclamp and force most of it out.

But that is an extremely rare thing because wood is not perfectly flat; it has surface imperfections that retain sufficient glue to maintain a good bond.

That is something your customer did.

12. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

Excellent point, Ron. The restaurant that catered my wedding did me wrong on the actual wedding day, and essentially lied to me about serving alcohol. They didn't, so I had 15 minutes before the ceremony to figure it out. I still go out of my way to tell people about it and recommend a different restaurant.

My favorite time happened recently. I had a hydraulic vendor stop in from Knoxville Tennessee. I'm in Kansas, so that's a small trip. He stopped at another customer first who recommended he eat at the place that catered my wedding while he was in town. He got to my place and I asked where he was eating that night and immediately told him the story and suggested a better place. I'm not petty though :lol:

13. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Refund the money or send him a new neck. You want just positive feedback. This kind of crap is why I stopped building for people and never regretted it.

RobRiggs and MTPoteet like this.
  14. pshupe

pshupe Tele-Meister

I have had glue let go on a fret board in the past. Titebond 1. I do not remember whether it was possibly a little beyond it's "use by" date but it would have been close and kept in my temperature / humidity controlled shop with no direct light. It was a roasted maple fret board and the whole board let go. Still really do not know why as I have not had any others let go and I would've used the same glue on at least a few. Could've been inadequate prep as well. I now scrape both surfaces and clean with naptha prior to glue up. There can be multiple reasons that a glue joint may let go. This does not look like that issue as it is very localized towards the end of the board.

As far as keeping clients happy, you're gonna run into this from time to time and you have to decide whether it is worth it to keep this person happy. If you fix or replace this item I'm sure they would not flame you. In fact you may get a better review than if nothing ever happened.

Cheers Peter.

MTPoteet likes this.
  15. MTPoteet

MTPoteet Tele-Meister

I only have one guitar with 22 frets and there is almost an 1/8 of an inch between the PG and the finger board, plenty of room even for a pick guard change. Seems it would have to be a deeper neck pocket, a real deep pocket.
    I would ask to see the body.
    Maybe if you educate him, you'll have a customer, and good reviews for life.
    Could also treat it as a learning experience for you too, perhaps write an instruction sheet on how to install your necks properly, including measuring the neck pocket depth and a depth not to exceed, length of the screws, and not over torquing them.
    As a young pup, I'm sure I would have been so excited with my new custom neck that I wouldn't have thought of any of this and bolted it on as quickly and as tightly as possible. We sometimes forget that what is common sense to us, hasn't yet been learned by others.
    In any case, I don't see it as your fault.

TomBrokaw likes this.
  16. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I would also consider the neck screws.

This guy might have tried installing the neck without the neck plate causing the mounting screws to push the fingerboard off the neck.

Or, he tried using longer screws than the ones supplied.

Or the body has a contoured heel requiring the use of shorter screws all the way around.

I would ask to see photos of the body.

I would also separate the fingerboard from the neck and look for the tell tale evidence that an improper screw length was used.

The direction of the crack at the 16th 17th fret would also indicate that the fingerboard was lifted from below, and closer to the heel.

The more I look at this, the more I think it was a screw length issue.

fenderchamp and MTPoteet like this.
  17. Ronkirn

You don't build for people?? then what do ya build for?? :p

but yeah, guys will come up with the most asinine petty crap to gripe about... sometimes it takes a Herculean effort to resist just telling 'em to "byte me", Go away, Shoo.. Scat.. git on outta here...

But no .. despite that, my detractors try to convey an image of my being some kinda world class A-hole... I'm not... I hope... I try to take care of those that put their faith in what I do, and most boutique guys like me do the same...

In this case... I would insist the guitar be returned, even though my warranty stipulates that if you disassemble, mod, or otherwise corrupt the original, the warranty goes "poof".. Upon receiving it.. a simple examination would show what the situation was..

if as per normal, where the neck, in a correctly routed neck pocket will allow for a "margin of error that will accommodate a normal .090 thick pickguard, or less...... and still shows relief.. then it's pretty obvious the owner did something funky.. I'd say he installed a non standard, too thick pickguard, or tried to pry the neck out of a tight neck pocket by levering under the fingerboard overhang.. He can come clean or .... your call..

I had a guy once that was changing pickups.. and in doing so poked a screwdriver into the coils... he demanded a replacement... I demanded the faulty pickup be returned insisting it was that way from the time he received the guitar, despite that several months has transpired... .. he refused.. I can only wonder why :rolleyes: .. anyway.. i sent the replacement anyway... he finally sent photos..

r

18. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I build for myself and prefer it that way these days.

19. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Not a fan either. I don't even like the way 22 fret necks look on Fender shaped bodies - Tele or Strat.

King-of-Tone and Steve Holt like this.
  20. Ronkirn

I'm just messin' wiff ya...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.