Finger picking blues guitar instruction

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by psychobilly451, Jun 10, 2019.

1. psychobilly451

psychobilly451 TDPRI Member

I am a beginner player and ultimately would like to be able to play in the realm of RL Burnside, Lightning Hopkins, John Lee Hooker, etc.

I am planning on picking up Finger picking guitar techniques by Stefan Grossman DVD. Plus I have
    Joseph Alexander
    Fingerstyle Blues Guitar: Master Acoustic Blues Guitar Fingerpicking and Soloing.

Am I on the right track for learning materials?

Vibrolux59 likes this.
  2. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

You're probably starting down the right track as well as with anything else I can think of.
    One more suggestion:Immerse yourself in recordings of Brownie McGhee (with and without Sonny Terry) and
    probably Mance Lipscomb as well. Just a plug for two guys whose music has guided me over the past thirty to forty years or so.
    Final suggestion: Don't think of blues as a geographic sort of thing (Texas blues, Delta blues, Piedmont blues, etc...).
    Listen for the feeling.
    Just my two cents.

Greggorios and Flaneur like this.
  3. psychobilly451

psychobilly451 TDPRI Member

I am familiar with McGhee but haven't heard much. I lean toward the darker rowdier booze and wimmen songs but have been listening to John Hurt and some Lipscomb lately.

I listen to blues 90% of the time when I put on music.

Thanks for the input 4 cat slim.

Greggorios likes this.
  4. Harry

Harry Tele-Meister

5. clayville

clayville TDPRI Member

Grossman will steer you towards Mississippi John Hurt some of the time too (my favorite fingerpicked acoustic blues guy). A google search on "Mississippi John Hurt Guitar Tab Book" turns up a pretty useful free resource.

Greggorios likes this.
  6. Sean65

Sean65 Tele-Holic

Stephen’s material is top shelf.

Perhaps for a complete beginner you might find David Hamburgers Blues Handbook courses easier.

You can find them over at Truefire.

Enjoy the trip!

raysachs, Greggorios and Uncle Daddy like this.
  7. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I've been learning to fingerpick blues too. I've been doing a series of David Hamburger courses on TruFire. Everybody has their own teaching style and everyone has their own learning style and his teaching style fits my learning style really well. I also like the way, the tabs essentially follows along with the video and if you get a tough section you need to work on, you can highlight that portion of the tab and the video and tab will just go over that section in a loop. I personally find this really useful. But the "guitarnick" site shown above also looks pretty good and I might try a few of those as well...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    psychobilly451 and Greggorios like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.