1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Finely Finished!

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by feloniuspunk, Feb 28, 2021.

1. feloniuspunk

feloniuspunk TDPRI Member

D823D212-9964-46B1-AB90-7BBBB87C06C3.jpeg 13DF8713-18A0-48FB-9C9A-4167C69C1532.jpeg E356466E-7C4E-4ADA-AE03-5095440E5167.jpeg I bought a Classic 70’s Thinline Telecaster Reissue several years ago for a crazy good price. I really didn’t like anything about the way it sounded but it had a nice feel and look; I especially liked the single “F” hole and Strat bridge.
    So I decided to give it a complete makeover.
    I switched out the pickups, pickguard, neck, hardware and electronics.
    Once I started I began to regret my decision to do so many drastic mods but I forged on.
    The most difficult part was removing the factory finish. I tried almost every chemical I could think of but nothing worked. I finally achieved success by using a blow torch and a putty knife to slowly melt and lift off the finish down to the wood.
    It now has all gold hardware, a four hole birds eye maple neck (original neck was a three hole maple neck) and faux ivory tuners. I got rid of those two big clunky pups and made it a 3-pup axe, which also required getting a custom made pickguard. I darkened the body with walnut stain and added faux binding as well. Above are before pix.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  2. feloniuspunk

062AD3A2-8E21-4E94-BB57-6EF853F76CE4.jpeg 3BF3D2F8-863A-43BA-AC7C-EDC9487A7680.jpeg 92E56B3C-9465-495E-A46E-5F1858AFB347.jpeg Above are after pix.
    I will add that it still feels and plays great and sounds much better, more to my liking. Selector switch is a super 5-way and the volume and tone knobs are both 500K push-pull.
    In all modesty, what I’m happiest about is how good the faux binding turned out. It was first time trying anything like that.
    Here’s what it sounds like from my 2nd CD, Rounding the Bend.
    It’s strung with a set of D’Addario flat wound 10’s.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    ale.istotle, aeyeq, RobRiggs and 3 others like this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Well holy-heck!

That’s like a brand new guitar!

I like the reverse slant middle pickup

I have those same gold/white knobs on a jazzmaster, maybe yours are clear?

4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Looks fantastic! Enjoy.

5. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Meister

Amazing transformation. Enjoy playing it!

6. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Interesting pickup layout - I haven't seen that before. Cool "binding" job.
    Peace - Deeve

7. feloniuspunk

Thx for the feedback y’all. After it was finished it began to dawn on me that what I had done was comparable to putting a stained glass window in an out-house.
    The new parts I used in the end product cost more than the original product itself. But I tend not to let such facts deter me once I’ve locked in on a concept; my curse. I realized that if the manufacturer’s goal had been to produce a similar guitar to begin with, the cost wouldn’t have really been that much more than what I originally paid.
    Things like using all gold hardware for instance was really more of a personal preference I blame on my Hungarian Gypsy grandparents (gypsies love lots of flash and glitter).
    If you examine the faux binding closely you can easily tell it was a DIY garage project rather than an OEM feature.
    But overall I am very satisfied with the results. I learned a lot in the process. But lest my head get too big, it is after all just a bunch of wood, plastic and metal stuff and not really all that important in the big picture.
    On a side note, the whole thing actually weighs less than the unmodified guitar. It feels like a feather. But the thing resonates like crazy; a desired quality that makes it very easy to sustain notes.

8. aeyeq

aeyeq Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Turned out well. Regert nothing!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.