1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fine tuning the fit of a pickguard and control plate on an undrilled body.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by _MementoMori_, Mar 2, 2021.

1. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

Hey guys. I got my pickguard and control plate in the mail yesterday, and I'm dying to put them on but I don't want to jump the gun and do something wrong. Here's the deal.

I don't have a bridge yet, but my ferrule holes are drilled. I have a 5 hole pickguard and a standard style control plate that I can eyeball on the body and get more in less in line with each other, but I don't know if I want to screw them down without having the bridge in case there's an unforeseen collision there.

I can say this - the pickguard edge at the neck pocket does not sit perfectly against the edges of the neck route. At least, if I position the pickguard so that it DOES do that, my control plate location in relation to the pickguard gets all out of whack and doesn't cover my control cavity. Does that make any sense? For me to cover my control cavity and have the control plate and pickguard relate to one another the way they're supposed to, I have to pull everything up just slightly from the neck pocket so that it's not a super tight, clean fit there.

This doesn't necessarily bother me. Especially because I don't have a neck yet and if it really does start to bother me, I can just get a 22 fret neck so that the wood overlaps the guard and hides the less-than-optimal fit. Sorry, this is a novel.

2. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm not an expert builder so i would wait until the bridge and neck are on before mounting the pickgaurd and control plate . The neck and bridge must be in a certain spot but the pickgaurd and control plate could be adjusted slightly if needed so do them last. Then lay them both in place to verify the location before drilling . I would have the switch and pots in place on the control plate also just to be sure they fit

Killing Floor likes this.
  3. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

You're right, and I hate that you're right. I want instant gratification!

Gardo likes this.
  4. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Neck then bridge then pickguard then the control plate. Ask me how I know....

nnieman, jfgesquire and PingGuo like this.
  5. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You do need to wait, once your bridge is in the proper place. You might need to make slight adjustments to the pickguard and control plate (that no one will be able to see) once these are in place.

6. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

I don't want to. But how do you know? A cautionary tale is exactly what I need right to stop me from just trying this anyway, haha.

7. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

Exactly! That’s the perfect order of priority.

8. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

Is there a trick in aligning Schaller M6 tuning machines? I have the ones that need a shallow hole drilled for the pin. Warmoth only drills the tuner holes. Thanks in advance.

9. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

A winning strategy here.

10. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

I thought the bridge had to be on before the neck so that you can string up the high and low E strings and sight down the neck for proper alignment. Can you just throw a neck onto a body without this step?

11. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

The neck can be moved and the bridge can't so it's bridge first for me. I use thin nylon string for alignment along with a laser level. The slightest push on the neck will move it even if it's really tight in the pocket. Loosen the neck screws a bit, hold it in the direction it needs to go and tighten it down.

12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

I completed a Partscaster (it's expensive so I capitalized it) on Sunday. I completed and dropped off for a new nut yesterday because I am not competent to cut a bone nut because I am an oaf with tools.
    Body was not predrilled for plate or guard. I had to file back the neck facing edge and the curve around the control plate. In my idiot experience the bridge and neck dictate the pick guard.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.