"fine-tuning" Amp Tone With An Eq Pedal?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by swampyankee, Mar 10, 2016.

1. TheNewSteveH

TheNewSteveH Tele-Holic

A 12AY7 should not muffle the tone. It should have pretty much the same sound as a 12AX7, with less gain.

I have heard that there are a lot of bad 12AY7's. I have only used Electro-Harmonix, and they sound good. Since discovering the Svetlana 12AX7, I don't really need 12AY7's.

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

"A 12AY7 should not muffle the tone. It should have pretty much the same sound as a 12AX7, with less gain."

That's correct. I have used no current-manufacture 12AY7's - only NOS and "pulls".

As far as EQ's, for me they are aren absolute no-no with electric guitar. Even after replacing parts to reduce noise, and running them in all sorts of pedalboard or loop positions they suck more tone than they add.

3. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

Maybe "muffled " isn't the best description, but it seemed to lack some punch or presence. The 12at7 in the PI was an improvement in both channels though.

4. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

Although I'm still breaking the new speakers in, the amp sounded pretty damn good at the gig the other night. Full enough to cut through, not too peaky, and a nice warm bluesy tone on the drive channel.
    I still have a 5751 tube to try in V1, but I'm not sure I'll need it.
    This thing is sounding pretty good at this point, without EQ

5. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Your "boom and spike" issues could very well be due to the new speakers.
    Experimenting with tubes may still get you closer to where you want to be, but you might want to wait for those speakers to fully break-in before spending a pile of money on an assortment of tubes.

6. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

No, the boom and spike was cured by the new speakers. And some insulation added to the back wall of the cabinet (the VM 212 cab comes with no insulation, unlike the vintage 212 Bandmaster cabs).
    I ordered the 5751 tube to experiment with figuring if it didn't give good result with this amp it wouldn't hurt to have a couple different types of tube for experiments with other amps.

Although I'll do more tinkering, the new speakers and the 12AT7 in the PI have really sweetened this amp up and gotten me a very use able tone.

7. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Ah, OK.
    I was just thinking that as the new speakers break in, the overall tone would smooth out.
    I know when I built my Mission 5E3 the Emi Red Fang that I installed sounded a little harsh, at first. But after a few hours of playing at "stage volume" it evened out (and it sounds great, now).

Sounds like you got this one figured out, though, so that's good news!

8. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

I got the 5751 tube in yesterday and installed it in V1. Not much change from the 12Ax7 to my ears. The speaker change seems to have made the biggest difference, followed by the 12AT7 as the phase inverter.
    How many hours for the speakers to fully break in? Between home practice and last weekend's gig, I probably have 4 or 5 hours on them so far.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.