Fine Scratches in Nitro

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by 650thunderbird, Dec 13, 2019.

1. 650thunderbird

650thunderbird Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have scraped the binding on this body and now I see fine scratches have appeared in the transparent base coat. I have been super careful with handling and can only think that they are caused by it being in my lap while I was scraping the binding, could this be the cause? Can anyone please advise my next move?
    Do I simply clean it with Naphtha and spray the gloss clear coat?

Any advice will be appreciated.

A couple of the scratches can be seen in this pic, but there are quite a number of them all over the body
    [​IMG]

2. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

If they are in the base coat and that was covered by further layers of nitro, they SHOULD have been filled in and disappeared, as new nitro coats normally melt into the previous coats of nitro...are they chemically dissimilar paints/finishes?

If there is nothing on top of the basecoat yet and another basecoat would change the color too much, anything other than gentle sanding would probably result in a sand-thru.
    You could try a LIGHT coat of clear nitro to see if it melts into the nitro basecoat and smooths out. In theory it should.

Good luck!

650thunderbird and Fretting out like this.
  3. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

Have you sanded that finish? When level sanding with very fine grits, you have to be very careful. Tiny little clusters of the sanding dust can ball up and lodge in the sandpaper that you don't even see. Circular sanding with the crud in the paper leaves scratches much deeper than the grit scratches. Top coat clear several coats, and then level sand again. Be advised, nitro shrinks a lot over time. You can get it dead flat and then over the course of several months it shrinks back enough that flaws a grain telegraph through (especially if you've put it on real thin). Very nice color choice BTW.

Rufus and 650thunderbird like this.
  4. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

I would not treat those scratches at all. Clean as normal, and follow with clearcoats...they will 'repair' those marks.

650thunderbird likes this.
  5. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I agree, clean it with naptha and hit it with a couple nice, thin clear coats. Carefully sand it with a block and 1000 grit sandpaper, wet with water or naptha. Repeat as necessary. The final polish will be where you can buff out any remaining swirl marks.

Nice color! Looks great with the binding.

650thunderbird likes this.
  6. 650thunderbird

Thanks everyone :) I will clean and spray a couple of clear coats, to start with, and see how it looks.

7. 650thunderbird

This worked. Thanks all :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.