1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Finding screw holes after spraying?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by hessodreamy, Jan 28, 2021.

1. hessodreamy

hessodreamy Tele-Meister

Before I sprayed, I thought the word on the street was that screw holes that had been drilled into the body (for the trem, pickups, strap locks) would still be visible after spraying.

However, through messing up and changing plan I ended up applying so much product (grain filler, 3 cans combined of sanding sealer & primer, 3 cans of colour, 1 can clear) that I can't see them. I'm worried that if I re-drill I'll just end up enlarging an existing hole and make it not work. In hindsight I could have poked at the holes through the process.

Any tips for locating existing holes without making a mess? I might just have to get a thick needle and start hammering...

2. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Did you have an existing pickguard? You could lay that down to find the pg holes.

3. hessodreamy

hessodreamy Tele-Meister

Nah, hadn't gotten around to fitting that before I sprayed. Just the jazzmaster-style trem, the pickup mounts (all of which has enough wriggle room to not get it bang on) and the strap locks (no idea where I put those holes).

4. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Bummer.

If it were me I'd lay down the pg (same applies to the rest) and use a thin needle and hope you find them. You could always touch up small holes if need be. Its 50/50.

I'd measure the centerline of the body & hope they put the rear strap button hole in it's appropriate spot.

I'm sure someone has a better approach. I'm all ears too.

5. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

How long ago did you paint?

My experience is wait a couple weeks and the finish will cure-shrink a little and show you where the holes are with little divots.

bender66 likes this.
  6. hessodreamy

hessodreamy Tele-Meister

It's been about 6 weeks so should all be cured now.

7. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Ugh.. Sorry.

Did you do any wet sanding and polishing? You may not be able to see the divots when it's glossy, but wet sanding will dull the finish and leave the divots, if there are any, glossy.

bender66 likes this.
  8. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Holic

It sounds like you grain filled all the holes. Just put the trem plate and pickguard in place and poke through the holes and wiggle them a bit until you push in the soft filler. t will yield pretty easily. You can probably even use a toothpick. If you locate a hole, the rest should follow pretty easily. The trem plate and pickguard will cover any marks up anyway. Even if you drill new holes, who cares if the old ones are all filled anyway?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  9. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

You muyst live on a different street, because as you discovered... no. Quite the reverse, if you do the job well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.