Finding parts for a 6g11 build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Nickfl, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

I am starting to think about my next amp build and after a lot of consideration I think I have settled on a 6G11. I want to do a brown era amp and I think I would rather it be 6l6 than 6v6. I thought about a brown vibroverb, but I don't know that I really want the on board reverb enough to justify the extra expense and complexity. I am just in the early planning stages now, probably won't plan to start building until the end of the year.

I have found a couple of suppliers who sell eyelet boards for this circuit, Hoffman has both an eyelet board and the tapped 350K treble pots.

I am not sure what to do about a chassis. It doesn't seem like there are very many brown era chassis available out there, all I have found are the brown princeton and deluxe style chassis that mojotone carries and neither of those would work. The best option I see right now is using a deluxe reverb chassis and making my own face plates to cover up the holes I don't use.

I'm also looking for advice on transformers. It looks like classictone has a couple of different 40W transformer sets they recommend for tremolux/vibrolux and the brownface vibroverb.

I have previously built a 5e3 and repaired a broken 5f1. I am pretty confident I can manage this build along with a little supervision from the more experienced builders here on the forums. I can easily build my own cabinet, so sourcing that is not an issue at least.

Anyone have any thoughts on where I might source a proper 6g11/6g9 chassis, or thoughts on other issues I may have with this build or parts that might be hard to find?

2. Dan Miller

Dan Miller Tele-Meister

Not sure what your chassis dimensions need to be - from the layout it appears similar to a Princeton Reverb. I just ordered a PR chassis (18-1/4" x 7" x 1-3/4"; un-punched) from http://www.seasidechassisdesign.com/home.html for $58 shipped. He'll do custom sizes.

Nickfl likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.