Finding Folks to Play With

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by -PickupTruck-, Jan 10, 2020.

1. -PickupTruck-

-PickupTruck- Tele-Meister

How do you go about finding folks to play with?
    I used to use Craigslist. Then I used Meetup for a while.
    But now it seems like most Meetup groups are more like a Karaoke experience instead of a band experience.

So tell me, where do you go to find folks to play with?

Geo and kuvash like this.
  2. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

I wish I knew. I've been trying for years to find a guitar player to do s duo with. I agree that Craigslist is a dead end and jams/open mikes are no better.

If you ever figure it out, let me know!

3. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

If I were looking for somebody to play with, I think the first step for me would be to find somebody who has a similar taste in music and politics. I don't think I'd really enjoy playing with someone who really loves heavy metal. I don't have a problem with that musical genre, I just don't think I'd enjoy going in that direction. My main problem would be finding someone who dislikes Herman's Hermits as much as I do.

Festofish and birddog01 like this.
  4. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

Have a look at bandmix.com

5. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Luck. That’s all that’s ever worked for me. It doesn’t work often, but when it does, it works very well.

Also, I don’t really like other people, so that doesn’t help.

KWal, NewKid, stratoman1 and 3 others like this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

It seemed so easy in high school and college. I actually started with a couple of guys in jr, high, and we stayed together through college.....but I was always having guys and bands asking me to join up. That more or less stopped after college. My problem now is finding guys that I like and respect wanting to "hook up". Most of the players "pursuing" me now are not up to par......like the ugly girl at closing time. I keep playing out.....hoping the right situation will "find me", but it doesn't look promising. :(

7. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Have used Bandmix, Craigslist and Neighborhood.com and okay, so-so, but somewhat limited.
    I had a little success with Bandmix. Most on there amazingly never even reply even if to say thanks
    but am doing whatever. I always have and say thanks if offer it isn't going to work.
    Being older it is even more limiting to find folks willing to just play period and then see what develops.
    I've contacted quite a few that have been on Bandmix for ages and doing nothing. When you contact
    them, if they reply, only want to do a cover gig oriented deal ASAP 3-4xs or more a month or go
    on tour. :rolleyes:

Word of mouth through friends and acquaintances has panned out somewhat better.

8. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Why not try putting a post on here with your location and what you are seeking? I know that not everyone in any particular locale is on the forum, but it could be a start?

Harry Styron likes this.
  9. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

Me too. I live in basically dead zone for music. If I lived 1.5 hours to the West, North, East, or South West I could probably find people to play with much easier. Sometimes I just search Craiglists to see what kind of choices I'd have if I lived in those places, but alas, I currently don't. So I just play by myself. Pretty much figured that's the way it will be until I die. Sometimes it makes me feel real bad. Maybe I should record about 20 to 30 songs and leave them behind the way Robert Johnson did. Just a man and his guitar. He died at 27 and I'm 26....so the timeline is about right to record them.

10. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

1. Ugh.
    As much as I revile them, "jams" are an excellent place to meet people with whom you might mesh easily with.

If unfamiliar, go watch a few, maybe a couple of times to get a feel. Talk to the people running the thing. And make certain you understand the language used on stage.

2. Lessons.
    Take a couple from a player you respect and ... ask. A lot of people who teach also host open mic's and stuff...

3. Bulletin boards.
    A lot of music stores have them. So do music departments , student unions, and auditoriums at colleges.

4. Busking.
    If you dare. I once met a horn player that way. A really great player. He was on a street corner playing clarinet. I walked by, went back and talked him up. We played together periodically for 20 years until injury put an end to me.

Harry Styron, P Thought and richiek65 like this.
  11. BladeStratford

BladeStratford Tele-Meister

If anyone figures it out please post it here! I've been trying to get back into live playing through Craig's List the past year or so with no luck. You'd think living in Austin it'd be somewhat possible to find a C&W/Americana band that wants to play mostly originals in need of a lead player but turns out no. I've come to realize that it probably involves the "N word"..."Networking"...which I just don't have the stomach for any longer. Sit in on open mic nights and get to know a few players who know a few players who has a brother in a band that needs a lead player, etc... That involves Tuesday nights in sports bars playing Mustang Sally which just doesn't do it for me personally any more. Or singer/songwriter open mics in hopes of finding one that has decent songs to build a band around. For now, I use my old outbound sales skills and reach out to any local bands or artists I might want to play with and introduce myself by pointing them towards my YouTube channel which is a decent calling card related to country style lead playing. I tell them I'm a fan of their music and believe I might have something to add to the mix if they ever need a player. I'm 0 for 3 so far with this technique but the replies have at least been friendly. So... if anyone knows of an originals based C&W/Americana outfit in the Austin area in need of a solid lead player hit me up! The B-bender's oiled up and ready to Twang!

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Subscribed. I'll be following this thread intently. I've been so desperate, I have gigged with recorders and dulcimers.:eek:

And no, I don't dare mention this to potential fellow players.:D

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

Wow, sorry to hear these issues

The friends I grew up with played in the school bands and after that many took up guitar, bass or drums. I got to watch them and decided to take up the guitar. Before I made much progress I ended up running sound for al band my friends were in. I met a lot of musicians and found many willing to help me learn. I've been jamming with many for over 40 years now. We don't get together like we used to but still knock the rust off and wail like youngsters once a month or so. When I bought my house half the basement was set up for jamming when I could get a gang together. I understand this doesn't work for those who left their hometowns but that's one of the things that kept me in the area.

In my area bluegrass is big too and turning older I found acoustic jams to attend. That helped me more than I ever imagined, learning to keep up with the pace using medium strings. Strapping on an electric after that is like taking a vacation.

Like Rolandson says, music stores is also a great pace to meet musicians . And when I meet a new hire where I work that is a question early in the conversation. I get to hang guitar calendar at work so if you don't know I like guitars you're not paying attention.

Seek and you shall find, at least in my neck of the woods. Sorry it doesn't work that way everywhere.

14. MrYeats

MrYeats Tele-Meister

15. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Network and maybe some patience and Facebook. And sing.

As much as Facebook is hated here on tdpri, that's the place where old folks go. There's probably 15 musician pages in my city/area. Follow for a while, see who posts and what's goin on.

Jams. I used to go to an open mic. It was a little far for me but I "friended" many of the regulars. That jam broke up a few years ago. Some of the regulars formed a band. One guy (guitar) moved away. The band collapse. I contacted the bassist and ran into the drummer a couple months later. Last night we had a great jam where I already knew a lot of their songs.

I sing. So since I play guitar as well, I had a little 3 piece jam last night. It was fantastic. I also have my own band but wanted to play with these guys...it was better than I thought it'd be. And even if I was a little off pitch, nobody said a thing. They were hard up to jam as well.

If you don't sing. Best to learn. ;)

16. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Meister

Where I live musicians are few and far between (and places to play live even fewer) so this has been a problem that I've only recently managed to overcome.

Two friends and I have been jamming for about ten months, playing big scuzzy stoner rock. We decided about six months ago to look for a bass player and a singer to complete the line-up. Nothing. Nobody wanted to do it, or couldn't do it, or was able to do it if they could rehearse every fourteenth Wednesday between 3.00 and 3.05am, or only played in 7/11 time.... You get the picture. Oh, did I mention that big scuzzy stoner rock is more or less unheard-of in Wales? I put some ads out on the web but nothing came of them and I basically forgot about them.

Anyway, I got a message from the drummer, saying he'd found a singer on Facebook and could we give him a try? Of course we could, but expectations were not high, even though his list of influences etc seemed pretty neat.

So, he came to practise just before Christmas and was awesome. Really good singer, a bit different, and very interested in the band. Great! So now we only had to find a bass player.

The drummer messaged again, and said that he'd found a really good bassist. he began to describe this guy and I realised that I'd played with him before. Not a bad bass player at all, but a bit unreliable and came with the additional drama of an alcoholic wife who would make a spectacle of herself at gigs. These factors may be overcome, but as he is also a racist I had to veto him. I felt a bit bad as our drummer had done a bit of work to find him and had been in contact with him to explain what we were about etc etc, but my own beliefs just made it a complete non-starter.

Then, over Christmas, I had an email stating that I had a message on joinmyband.com, where I'd placed an ad months before. I logged in and was amazed to find a message from a bass player who was interested.

Long story short - two band members in two practises - both better than I could have hoped for!

17. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

I'm in the same boat as most here...rural area so limited options for band mates. I continue to search but in the mean time I jam with backing tracks. I try to limit my tracks to just drums and bass and sometimes keys so that if the miracle happens and i find folks that are nearby, like the same style of music and are easy to get along with I'll be ready to roll since my tracks are similar to the backing I would want out of bandmates.

18. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

Much the same for me during my school years back in the late 50's early 60's. Last time I gigged was doing solo acoustic singer/songwriter of mainly my original stuff. Before that was as a mandolin player in a bluegrass band back in the 80's. Haven't gigged in 25 years or so. But now at 72 I get together and jam about once a month with many of the guys I played in various bands with back during my school years and once in a while have bluegrass jam sessions with a number of the guys I played in the bluegrass band with and others that were in local bluegrass bands. We also have a weekly jam session at the local senior center.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    nojazzhere likes this.
  19. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I have not had to deal with this issue in years and had forgotten how challenging it can be to find jam mates. At least reliable, respectable, independent, somewhat talented musicians, who are in it it fun and have no control issues. I have been in two bands in the past 12 years. That's it. Still in one of those 2, today. The guys are good and are about 90% of my personal level of perfection. LOL.

There are musicians out there. Depending where you work you may put up some type of photo of your gear, or you performing. Maybe desktop wall paper. People will pick up on this and enquire. "Do you play?". I've met some great guys through my work who I've jammed with for 17 years. Still a few more who I've yet to get to. Too busy with the people I already hooked up with.

Get your hobby out there. Maybe it's a guitar sticker on your tailgate. Meet new people, ask what their hobbies are. Tell them yours. Networking works even in small towns with less talent in the pool.

20. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Things were going so well and then ..

FAIL.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.