Finding a guitar teacher online?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by drneilmb, Jun 5, 2020.

1. drneilmb

drneilmb Tele-Meister

I've got some money saved up for my guitar hobby and I'm struggling to get excited about spending it on yet another piece of gear.

I'm thinking about my guitar goals and wishing I was better at solos and improvisation (and the theory that goes with them) and had better speed and technique for that purpose. But, I'm not doing well at improving these things on my own. So I'd love is to spend some of that money on LESSONS with a REAL PERSON who could listen to where I'm at and what I want to achieve and give me specific things to do to improve.

But how does someone find a teacher who is good? I'm sure lots of people are hanging out a shingle for online guitar lessons right now and I've taken enough music lessons as a kid to know that many teachers are just giving everyone the same sequence of things to work on, or just teaching all of their students to play like them. I don't know anyone in my small rural town who teaches guitar at anything above the kids level and I also don't know any players locally who I can ask what they do for lessons.

So, have any of you done online lessons with someone you would recommend? If not, how would you go about looking for and finding a good teacher online?

I don't know anything about the world of guitar lessons for the last 20 years, but thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have.

-Neil

2. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Afflicted

What do you want to learn? Chicken pickin', Blues, Rock, Jazz, etc?

3. drneilmb

drneilmb Tele-Meister

Rock in a broad sense covering from some blues on one end to classic metal on the other.

Lowerleftcoast likes this.
  4. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Just my humble opinion but maybe search on Youtube to see what kind of lessons you might like. There are many basic teachers that teach things like how to hold your guitar, how to handle the neck, how to read music, how to read tablature or do as I do. Then there are the fingering and strumming techniques allowing for each hand, how to practice, what to practice, or here is how to play each song. There are so many variables. If you are not in a hurry I would of course start with basics.

But I'll tell you one thing and I am sure everyone here will agree. You have to devote yourself and time to practice, practice and more practice. You can't do this without devoting yourself to it. It's not like driving a car. Best of luck and keep us updated and we can help you along the way!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.