Finally...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Bob M, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I finally solved 99% of my Jazzmaster's noise issue. I have used foils, grounded everything and still had a lot of extra noise. I bought an aluminum pickguard shield-it's a real Fender part-

sheild.jpg
    Around $20. It works! I also have a Jaguar and it is pretty quiet. They are similar so I started trying to understand the why the Jag had less noise. I determined that the Jag's controls are attached to metal plates. So I figured the pickguard shield was the ticket and it was. Strongly recommend this fix to all Jazzmaster owners.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Glad it worked for you!

Fendereedo likes this.
  3. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I've learned of the quiet properties of Aluminum on single coil pickups a while back. Every guitar I have with singles got the aluminum cavity shielding and entire backside of pickguard shielding treatment along with coaxial wiring throughout.

Learned about the aluminum by accident and then saw a write up by Bill Lawrence on the subject. Works for me, either cuts noise 70-80% on most or some completely cut 60 cycle hum. The one I learned by accident was my Strat-O-Rez build using an aluminum skillet for Reso Cone.:lol: Completely noise free.

Attached Files:

Fendereedo likes this.
  4. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

I need to try that - I have a real pickguard static problem which is starting to bug me. Next string change will see a complete shielding job.

Fendereedo likes this.
  5. Zepfan

Use the aluminum tape for HVAC applications, overlap the seams and tuck some under the bridge for a ground connection. I do the cavities and the entire backside of the pickguard if you have one, takes care of static problems on big pickguards.

Fendereedo and Bristlehound like this.
  6. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I usually use copper tape on the reverse side of my pickguard, failing that in the cavity. It's a pretty hit and miss affair when it comes to Mexi Fenders, as to whether, or not they use shielding paint, so it's always handy to have some tape handy. I've never used one of those specially made Fender shields though. They're usually very expensive here in the UK, I do know that much.

7. Zepfan

The copper tape is great for shielding against RF noise and you can solder a ground wire to it.
    Shielding paint and aluminum tape often require screwing a ground wire to it for ground.
    On my Strat, I put the aluminum tape from the cavity area up and out to go under the tremolo for a ground and that worked great. Extra benefit of having the aluminum is, if you have enough of it, it gets rid of the 60 cycle hum. The aluminum has a strange affect on the pickup's magnetic field and disrupts the hum.

8. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

I'm not sure about the newer models, but my 1962 Jazzmaster had brass tubs in the control cavities and an aluminum shield under the pickguard.

[​IMG]

Zepfan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.