Finally used my oven

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by nvilletele, May 26, 2020.

1. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

After breaking up with my long term girl friend in January after almost 14 years, I have been on my own when it comes to food.

We would always go out on Saturday night, and then have a big meal on Sunday, where she would cook lots and lots of extra food for me to take home and eat during the week. Usually enough through Wednesday or Thursday, lots of salmon, shrimp, scallops, spaghetti and meatballs, chicken, a little steak, broccoli or asparagus etc etc and I would have simple stuff like sandwiches or take out until Saturday after I had finished all the leftovers.

Since becoming single again, my main cooking tool was the microwave (and sandwiches, of course). Some eggs were cooked in the frypan too. Basic stuff. Both before and after the lockdown. Lots of sodium laced soups too.

But last night I finally put the oven that was installed along with all new kitchen stuff in the remodel 10 years ago. (Sure, cooked some Thanksgiving Turkey once a year most years but that was about it. She cooked the rest at her home.)

My neighbor bought me a huge salmon filet, and I found a recipe online, substituted for half the stuff that I didn’t have and came up with the delicious repast that you see pictured.

I found that I actually like cooking! It came out amazingly great. Finished it off with some broccoli, sweet peppers and celery. I have enough left over for at least 5 more meals, but I never get tired of salmon. It’s a whole new world now folks. Don’t mess with my Wüsthof knives or my new All Clad set, there’s a new chef in this kitchen, and he’s on fire.

15066890-6CD8-49A5-A90F-0402763D71C4.jpeg

2. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

bon app - looks like some good can come from change
    :)

nvilletele likes this.
  3. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Meister

You used the wrong side of tinfoil, the bright side should be.....LOL just kidding, I'm an absolute invalid in the kitchen but huge salmon fan. Looks amazing. But it would only take me 2 meals to finish that beauty. And I think I need new neighbors.

nvilletele likes this.
  4. nvilletele

Well, it is pretty thick too. And those are big lemons. It's bigger than it looks.

Still, I am not as big an eater as I once was. (And I did pay her back, of course).

5. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Looks great!
    I'm in kind of the same situation as you and pretty much the only thing I can say about my own oven is that it does frozen pizzas pretty well.
    Actually, I can cook, just hate cleaning up afterwards.

nvilletele likes this.
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Excellent. I love to cook. Enjoy the adventure. Like guitar there is always something new to learn and it takes some practice too. Lots of recipes pop up here on this forum by some exceptional cooks, so take note.

nvilletele likes this.
  7. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yum. Just had salmon carryout for dinner (and tuna at lunch). Love it.

8. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Hidden Valley ranch dressing makes an excellent table sauce for salmon. Mrs. D. and I do a filet once a week on the grill.

Another thought for you: get a wok and do some stir fry.

9. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

awesome man...im going to use my oven tonight...cooking frozen pizza!

nvilletele likes this.
  10. nvilletele

I used a salmon rub seasoning, plus some oregano, garlic, olive oil, and I forget what else from my meager spice selection. I think some "everything bagel" seasoning too. Some kosher salt and black pepper. Didn't need the ranch at all.

However, I use Bob's (as in Bob's Big Boy) "bleu cheese dip and salad dressing" with my celery. Yum. A little more flavor than the plain ranch.

I used to grill a lot, and used to do salmon filets there often. But the woman prepared all the food, I was just the griller. I still need to clean the grill off after too long a period of neglect. That will come. I used to be known as an excellent griller, though I was never the one to prepare the food, which is at least half of the process, if not a lot more.

Ricky D. likes this.
  11. nvilletele

This was so simple (I think I had googled "simple easy salmon recipes") and really hardly anything to clean up.

RodeoTex likes this.
  12. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Careful with that foil. Aluminum (possible linked to alzheimer) can leach into your food, especially when adding acidity (the lemons).

nvilletele likes this.
  13. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Congratulations! Move on, move forward, and keep cooking. It’s greatly cathartic and it’s a great way to further impress a lady

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.