Finally Tried an Area T neck pickup and

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by el cheapo, Aug 15, 2020.

1. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

I gotta say, it's REALLY good! I've had my Area T 615 bridge pickup for a while and I like it a lot. One of my favorite bridge pickups for sure. For the longest time it was paired with an old SD STKT1N neck pup and it was pretty good. Not great but good. I always felt it was lacking a little clarity. I did like the fact that it was noiseless so I stuck with it.

But recently I've been fine tuning my setup and making some improvements. I bought a couple new pedals, and decided it was time to take the plunge on a better neck pickup. I knew I wanted something noiseless so I started reading reviews, watching videos, and checking out threads here, there and everywhere. Basically everything was pointing to the Dimarzio Area T. I got one and installed it yesterday. After adjusting it I played it some last night. Initial impressions? It's a great pickup! Full vintage tone with clarity in spades. Matches up nicely with the Area T 615 bridge. It's seriously one of the best sounding neck pickups I've heard AND it's noiseless. Love it! Makes me wish I'd bought one a long time ago.

Probably preaching to the choir here, but this is just a great pickup. :D:D:D

2. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

yeah, I've got a pair in a telecaster that I love dispite it's wieght
    they are worth every penny.

3. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

All Seymour Duncan Tele neck pickups have plated brass covers. Unless that's changed.

The DiMarzio has a nickel silver cover, if I'm not mistaken.

Part of the difference in the clarity. Glad you like it.

eclecticsynergy likes this.
  4. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Makes sense!

5. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I put a set of those into a 68 tele and have to say they are way better than the originals from when it was new.

Plus no noise in the recording studio.

Jakedog and Cali Dude like this.
  6. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I've concluded the same thing. Not only is it a great sounding Tele neck pickup, and it's a huge plus that it's hum-canceling, but it really is one of the best neck pickups, regardless of type, that I've tried.

I actually only came around to experiencing the Area T neck by accident. I got an Area Hot T (actually it's predecessor, the Virtual Vintage Hot T) used, for an experimental parts build. I think I initially had it paired with some hum-canceling Strat neck pickup, but whatever I was using wasn't really pairing up well. I tried to find a used Area T neck to no avail, so I took a chance and bought one new. Not only was I really pleased with how it sounded, but it made me realize that the Area Hot T wasn't the perfect partner for it (IMO). That's when I got the Area Hot T bridge, and it's actually the best pairing/'set' that I've personally found.

IMO, DiMarzio has really done an excellent job with the four Area-style pickups they offer for Teles. Actually, to expand on that, I'm really pleased with the Area-style pickups for Strats, too (I've had excellent experiences with no less than three different models - Area 67, Injector bridge, and Virtual Solo).

I'm used to tradeoffs and compromises with pickups that have a non-traditional design, but somehow, DiMarzio found a way to minimize them, to the point that you have to split hairs to really justify even complaining about anything. And before I end up sounding like a DiMarzio fanboy, I'll be the first to tell you that I was only partly happy with their other hum-canceling stuff. I used the HS-1/2/3 stuff for years, but they were far from perfect IMO - output was too low, and parallel combos never really had all the sparkle and snap that they should. Same thing for the rails-type stuff - only the Fast Track T came close to a traditional Tele sound IMO, but still with differences. I also got a True Velvet T set a couple of years ago, and wasn't thrilled with them...

...But the Area-style pickups, especially the Area T ones - possibly as close to perfect as I could hope to find (at least so far). I have to almost wonder why I'd bother experimenting with anything else, at this point.

Jakedog and Cali Dude like this.
  7. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Afflicted

Has anyone tried the 615 bridge? Is the consensus that the Hot is the best in that position?

8. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

I haven't tried the Hot T, but my Area T neck and 615 bridge sound great together.

9. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Afflicted

You guys are spending my money. Again.

kookaburra likes this.
  10. branbolio

branbolio Tele-Meister

I recently got a used Area T neck and look forward to see how it sounds in my upcoming build, gonna pair it with a Bootstrap Pretzel bridge pup

Gonna try to wire it with series and out of phase settings on a push pull pot. Hoping for jazzy neck pos tones along with a variety of other versatile tones

11. davie blue

davie blue Tele-Meister

I've been looking at these for a tele build and happy to hear your enthusiasm! The Area T Neck seems well loved all around - I'm just not sure between the 615 or Hot bridge ... does the Hot retain plenty of twang? Does the 615 have enough beef? Does either get into icepick territory? Haha fun details to agonize over. Have any of you compared these two bridge offerings?

Cali Dude likes this.
  12. branbolio

branbolio Tele-Meister

I had an Area T bridge and didn’t care for it. It wasn’t the Hot though, which I hear is supposed to be better. I do look forward to trying the Area neck though

13. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

I have the Area 615 in combo with a Wilde L280SN neck and an Area 67 middle. The 615 is great; ballsy, but definitely still Tele. It’s better than the Wilde L290TL it replaced. Better bite, and more stout output.

davie blue likes this.
  14. jamester

jamester Tele-Holic

I also recently got an Area T neck and like it a lot. I have used the Hot T bridge many times in the past with a neck PAF and also like it a lot.

However currently I've got the Area T neck and Hot T bridge paired together, and I'm kind of struggling with it. Huge output disparity, and the Hot T is very dark against the Area neck.

Now I'm looking at maybe trying either the regular Area T bridge or the 615 instead. The 615 seems very bright judging by Dimarzio's tone chart...

davie blue and Cali Dude like this.
  15. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

The Wilde L280TN probably stands up better than the Area T neck against a powerful bridge pickup, and they sound fabulous. Clear, warm, completely noise free.

TequilaCaster and Grateful Ape like this.
  16. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Until a couple years ago the ‘94 Standard I have, I put aChopper-T in the rear and then the Area-T in the neck. It made for an interesting combo. A couple years ago I took out the Chopper and put an Area in the back. It’s like a completely different guitar. DiMarzio really did a great job. The Area combo is staying.

kookaburra likes this.
  17. branbolio

branbolio Tele-Meister

ive read folks solve this issue by putting the neck pup very close to the strings. Did you try that... Raise neck pup and lower bridge pup?

Cali Dude and jamester like this.
  18. jamester

jamester Tele-Holic

Oh yes, I'm actually pretty obsessive about setting pickup heights!

I've got them balanced now, but it almost looks comical how low the bridge pup is and how high the neck pup is. I'm going to replace the springs in the bridge mounting with silicon tubing, as the springs aren't tall enough to keep tension on the pup with it lowered so much.

Still not sure about the tones though, even with the volumes balanced the middle position is kind of lacking...not very juicy, sounds almost the same as the neck pup position. One thing I love with a Tele is having three very different sounds from the selector switch.

I think the neck Area T is very good; the Hot T bridge is good also, but maybe not great paired with the Area neck...

19. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I put the Area Hot T in an Esquire-like parts build by itself, after having it paired with the Area T neck, and it's still set very low in the Esquire.

Looking at the specs for all of the DiMarzio Tele neck pickups, it looks like they're all on the lower output end of things, while even the Twang King bridge is considerably higher output, and then the 615 is basically the same as the T.K. bridge, and the Area Hot T has a bit more output than that.

...The only two bridge pickups that are actually 'sort of lower' in output are the regular Area T bridge, and the Pre B-1.

I actually have my Area T neck up on the high side, even when paired with the regular Area T bridge, and imagine I'd probably have to set it there regardless of what bridge pickup I had it paired with.

jamester likes this.
  20. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The area Hot T is great. Though I must say the Chopper T is my absolute favorite Tele bridge pickup. The Strat Area 61 makes a wonderful neck pickup in one guitar along with a Fast Track T as a bridge pickup. Same pickups in one of my wife’s Strats along with an Area 58 as the middle pickup.

kookaburra likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.