Finally took the OLP MM out to a gig. Kinda like it.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by StrangerNY, Jan 25, 2020.

1. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Right around the holidays I was browsing through Reverb and saw this OLP Benjy Madden sig model. I liked how it looked and the price was right, so being the shallow consumer that I am, I bought it.

[​IMG]

I've been using it on a couple of recordings and I like the way it records, but I hadn't been able to get it out into a gig situation until last night. My number one for gigs is my Danocaster, but we just added a couple of Santana tunes to the show and I wanted to use a HB-loaded guitar for those so I brought it with me.

Verdict - not bad! The tiny headstock was a little disorienting at first but I got used to it, and the 4x2 tuner set up took a minute to get used to. But overall the guitar is really comfortable with the contours and weight-wise. The neck is a tad sticky compared to the Dano, and I'll be doing some sanding on it today to take care of that. The profile and fret work are both pretty nice, though.

The last owner swapped out the original pickups for an Artec Alnico 5 on the bridge and a Super Twang Tele pickup on the neck. The last set kicked off with the new Santana stuff so I put it on for those songs and it sounded pretty good. The humbucker was lower output than I expected and I couldn't get the feedback to hang like I wanted, but it had pretty nice articulation and cleaned up really well. I'll be able to get a little more hair out of it by tweaking the patch on the Mooer, and it sounds good with the cleaner patches I've got set up for the Dano.

And as for the look - I had 3 guys come up and ask what I was playing, so it seems to be catching the eye of the crowd as well.

It's rare that I take a flyer on guitars on Reverb, but this one turned out to be a pretty good buy.

- D

2. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

always nice guitars, congrats!

StrangerNY likes this.
  3. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

I have no idea who Benjy Madden is and that seems to be a continuing theme with MM/ernie ball artists for me. I do love their 4/2 headstocks though.

StrangerNY likes this.
  4. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

He's one of the twins in a band called Good Charlotte, who I once heard of but am not particularly a fan of. He's married to Cameron Diaz, too, so good for him, I guess.

Nice sig, though. The 4/2 is a little weird, but I adjusted.

- D

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Nice looking guitar.

Try raising your bridge screw poles 1/8th inch to keep clean tones and adjust pickup height up a little to get more output. Play with that a bit and you'll get more of a P90/Tele kind of tone while still getting humbucking protection.

StrangerNY likes this.
  6. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Cool looking guitar, I had an OLP EVH copy some years ago, really should have kept it, played well, looked great and it sounded great , had some zebra coil humbuckers.
    I think you have a keeper there, even if you end up swapping the bridge pickup out at some point, but as suggested, I'd try playing with the height adjustments first.

StrangerNY likes this.
  7. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Talk about outkicking the coverage. Good for him indeed.

StrangerNY likes this.
  8. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

ah, I remember the band from the early 2000's ... I had no idea he was married to Cameron Diaz though... wow.

StrangerNY likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.