Finally Nabbed a good deal on A Fat Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Platefire, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

I been searching for the right deal on a Fat Strat to come along. I've actually been looking at a lot of Yamaha Pacifica 112's from the 90's.
    That is until Ol Blue came up on e-bay for Buy in Now fo $99.99 Free Shipping! Looks super clean and not abused. CY50113595=2005 Crafted in China. I tried to remain cool and standoffish but this thing kept ringing my bell. I decided this met all my criteria and the price was right, so here it is.

Going to do my set up to it as is, just play it and prove it. Will need to get a whammy bar, tension spring and set it up for floating. If Ol Blue pans out good to be a good player, he will qualify himself for some upgrades. Possibly new wiring, pickups, sting trees and tuners. We'll se how it goes. Platefire

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg
    5.jpg 6.jpg

Fiesta Red, Bruxist, Mouth and 5 others like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congratulations!

3. Platefire

Hey Thanks. Tracking says it out for Fedex Delivery. Seems after all these years of gear delivery I wouldn't get exited and this is just a used Affinity Squire---but somehow I do.
    Hope and pray it arrives in good shape! Platefire

4. Platefire

Hay, got it in about 4:30 PM this afternoon. Everything was good on it like I had hoped for.
    The .010 stings that were on there were loose. I did tune it up and plugged it into an amp to make sure everything worked--it did. I couldn't really play it because it needed a set up bad. I spent the next hour and a half setting it up for myself including a .09 string change. Set it for floating trem but need a trem bar.

I don't think this guitar has every really been played. Don't see any fret wear. Not fretting out.
    Neck is straight with just a slight amount of relief.
    For now I'm leaving the neck as is--feels pretty good. Tuners feel solid. The pickups sound pretty good also. That humbucker is Hot! Measures 12.85K Ohms. The neck is 5K and middle is 4.28K.

Well it will take a little time to figure it out and get use to it but for now I'm very happy with it. Platefire

Zepfan likes this.
  5. Platefire

I could use some Help! I need a trem arm for this CY 2005 Affinity Strat. I've been researching and best I can tell it should be a #10/32 Thread arm.
    I just would like to be sure before I order it. Can somebody verify??? Platefire

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I seriously doubt that its a 10-32 since it's MIC. Most likely a M6x1 like practically all Asian guitars. Go to a hardware store a get a few bolts of different sizes and thread counts of metric and standard to be sure.

7. Platefire

Well let me show you where I got my info from. This is what they got at Amazon:

Squier by Fender Affinity Series Tremolo Arm ('05-Present) Electric Guitar Part
    3.6 out of 5 stars 17 customer reviews
    Price: $6.39 & FREE Shipping In Stock.

Want it Thursday, March 29? Order within 21 hrs 45 mins and choose Two-Day Shipping at checkout. Details

Ships from and sold by Guitar Audio.
    • Package includes one tremolo arm with white tremolo tip
    • Tremolo arm will fit a standard 10/32 threaded tremolo block
    • Fits most Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster models with a "CY" serial number manufactured from '05-Present
    • Chrome with white tip
    Here is the site:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SCZ344/?tag=tdpri-20

8. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Strong colour

Brian Krashpad likes this.
  9. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I used to ***** about the thin bodies on these but it seems it doesn't bother me as much any more. I picked up a black HSS one today for $89. Nice thick neck.

10. Platefire

Guess what? I went and bought a 10/32 bolt from a hardware store in town and and brought it home and tired it and it fits the trem block! IMHO is a kind of loose fit but the threads match and if you try to pull it out screwed in the treads don't slip. I guess with the tension spring installed will tighten it up a bit also. So some of my other strat trems arm or king of a loose fit so I guess that's not unheard of.

Lonn, Congratulations on your HSS. Pixs are in order and first impressions. Platefire

Andy B likes this.
  11. Platefire

I went ahead and ordered it. It's Fender part # 006-9969-000 10/32 Threads. Actually about 4.85mm metric Diameter. So many different sizes it's confusing and hard to nail down. Platefire

12. Zepfan

Good that you got it figured out. I had a loose arm on a Strat back in the day that drove me crazy. I wrapped plumbers teflon tape around the threads and that solved my problem. It didn't have the ball and spring in it and at the time I didn't know that it was supposed to have them.

13. Platefire

I have this hangup where I remove the arm Everytime I put the ax back in the
    Case/gig bag. Can't stand the thought
    of the springs/strings being depressed
    while sitting in a case. So doing that, plumbers tape wears out pretty fast. Yes in the not so distant past, I wasn't aware of the
    tension springs either. I generally then just
    let the arm flop around loose.

That's why I like the tension spring, it's always keeps a solid feel. I keep a zip lock sandwich bag in my case where I put my arm and spring in everytime I put it back in the case. Do the same for all of
    my strats because those little springs are easy to loose. Platefire

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  14. Zepfan

If it's too loose or get's that way, you could always put a thread insert into the block. They work well.
    Or wait til you replace the block for a Steel or Brass offering.

15. Platefire

Well We'll see when I get the new arm and put the tension spring in it.
    I'm sure there will be some mods coming down the pike as time goes by. I usually don't get in a hurry on that. Right now I just want to fine tune the set up, play-ability and tuning when the trem is operational with the arm. First mod will be installation of two Dynaguide string trees to replace those stock ones which goes along with trem use tuning.

Initial playing experience was very good! Once I've proved it in my mind that fine tuning the set up has made it a player/keeper, then I will focus on the electronics/PU's. I definitely digging that Metallic Blue finish. The ax is light weighing 6.25 Lb. It's well balanced as it's not neck heavy. Also liking the shape and feel of the neck. I plan a slight neck tweak to take a little relief out but letting it settle in to the .009 string set first. It came with .010's which I think may have been the original strings in 05. Platefire

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Zepfan likes this.
  16. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Those affinities models do not help with my constant GAS. Congrats!

17. Platefire

Yelp, I know what you mean! The price got me considering it's great condition it appeared to be in the pictures and in the sellers discription. With free shipping and knowing the shipping was at least $25+, I actually got it for about $75--which pushed me over the edge.
    Just like I hoped and prayed it showed up in just a good of shape that I was wanting. So I got no complaints at all. Platefire

18. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

Congrats, looks great! I used to have a Squier Strat in the same color I think.

[​IMG]

I also have a guitar called "Ol' Blue." But it's definitely not a Strat. ;)

[​IMG]

Have fun!

radiocaster and Zepfan like this.
  19. Platefire

Hay Brian!

Like that P-90 setup in your Squier. How do those P-90 sound as compared to the normal strat PU's. Yelp "Ol Blue" was the first thing that came to me and think it will stick. Even though it looks brand new it's 13 years old.

That's an Ovation Deacon isn't it? Rare Bird! Looks like your already having fun! Jam On. Platefire

Brian Krashpad likes this.
  20. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

You can position the arm so that it doesn’t push down on the tremolo when you put in the case or bag. I used to do that with my first Strat that had a hard shell case. Now I’ve got gig bags and I do the same thing. Just move the arm in line with the bridge and it won’t actuate the bridge. Saves a lot of wear and tear on things.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.